You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I went to Big Bad Con this past weekend! (Or, yet another TTRPG topic)

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
1 month ago#1
I went to this con for a full weekend of TTRPGs and larps, and it was an amazing experience! Every game was intense and emotional, and I'm glad I got to meet and play with a group of very warm and friendly people. I even got to meet some of my favorite people from the ttrpg podcast world! The games I played in included:

Twain - Single player game where I pretended I had a long-lost magical twin, who was living a different (and better) life than me. I RPed a scene where I was expecting to meet him, but he never shows up and so I end up texting him and venting all my frustrations.

But Not Tonight - Really really intense parlor larp, where we were high-schoolers in the Cold War-era who get trapped in a fallout shelter with no way of knowing if the world has ended or not. The game deals with a lot of personal themes like bullying, addiction and suicide, and it messed me up (in a good way). I cried twice.

Behind the Magic - Comedy game performed live with audience participation. Game takes the form of a mockumentary following a group of incompetent fantasy adventurers bumbling their way towards saving the world. It was a real treat to watch.

The Warren - This was an impromptu game for me, and I wasn't expecting much out of it, but damn if it didn't hit me hard. The game is about a Warren of rabbits who are trying to survive in a world full of predators. I played an old and sickly rabbit who had secretly made a deal with the Great White Snake to sacrifice members of the warren every few months in return for sparing everyone else's lives. But after being found out, I ended up sacrificing myself to the snake instead.

Space Station Fobolex - This was way too fun. This was a 2-player game of forbidden romance in which I was a lowly space janitor and the other player was a scientist whose emotions could warp reality. We couldn't be together because every time I touched him, it would drastically alter the temperature of the space station. And in the final scene of the game, when he finally declared his love for me, it opened up a portal to another universe. Amazing.

For the Queen - A short but poignant game about loving a problematic person. Everyone around the table answered loaded questions about their relationship about the Queen, defining what kind of person she is and the problematic things she has done. At the end of the game, she is ambushed and each player then answers whether they defend her or not.

Icarus - A game about the decline of a civilization. In this game, we started with a Martian city where its citizens have achieved eternal youth, and ended with an apocalyptic hellhole in the midst of a violent rebellion. My character ended up turning into an immortal ghoul with no shred of humanity left. This game was basically all the best parts of watching a trainwreck.

These were all such great games. I am definitely going back next year.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

ShadowSpy
4 weeks ago#2
So my really amazing weekend is followed up by some disappointment, as my weekly Pathfinder session is cancelled and nobody from this group is willing to meet up and play other games. I think this is what all the convention-goers refer to as "Con Drop".

I just want another satisfying session!
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
4 weeks ago#3
Really interesting. Sounds like you need to go in with plenty of emotional resources.

ShadowSpy
4 weeks ago#4
Mostly for the emotionally intense games like But Not Tonight. It's not necessary for every single game, and in fact I started a good number of those games at an emotional low (Twain and For the Queen).

For me to enjoy these games, I do have to put some emotional investment into it, but that's not always how everyone plays, and I wouldn't require it of everyone.

I played a few board games too, and those don't need a lot of emotional energy either.

All in all, I felt very emotionally balanced the whole con.

ShadowSpy
4 weeks ago#5
Just bought a bundle of Shadow of the Demon Lord PDFs, because I heard good things about the system, and apparently I don't mind adding 10+ more books to my list of things to read.

ShadowSpy
2 weeks ago#6
Hmm, yet another Pathfinder session cancelled this week, since the GM is sick this time around. It's pretty disappointing to wait for the start of the next story, especially since we've planning for it for months now. On top of that, as soon as the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season gets into full swing, I doubt we will have time for consistent sessions.

Scheduling group activities is hard.

ShadowSpy
4 days ago#7
Finally got that Pathfinder session in last Wednesday, and it was such a relief. Like...the session was pretty fun, but I think the biggest thing was that we all finally managed to sit down and play again, after months of figuring out a good week.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I went to Big Bad Con this past weekend! (Or, yet another TTRPG topic)