• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I hosted karaoke for four hours yesterday.

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
2 months ago#1
It was part of our "welcome [back] to school" event (classes start tomorrow.)

Hosting karaoke is like watching a rollercoaster of self fulfilling prophecies.

You either believe you're going to own it, regardless of if you have the "skills" to back up that belief or not; sit in nervousness that you're not good enough but maybe with some encouragement do it anyway; or sing your song believing you're going to fail and then wonder why you did it at all.

But regardless of the feeling you enter with, do you know what actually happens? People cheer for you when you come on, they cheer for you to encourage you during the song, and they cheer for you when you wrap up your performance. And whatever feeling you entered with is the feeling you exit with.

It's a nice little reminder to follow Nike's advice, I guess.

I didn't get to participate, but that's okay because my car is a symphony starring my own voice any time I'm not listening to audiobooks or podcasts instead.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 months ago#2
I bet an anthropological account of karaoke would be fascinating and heartwarming. Like this post, which was heartwarming.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Kylo Force
2 months ago#3
It was so fascinating because I saw a group of people who all obviously knew each other come back up multiple times when the line wasn't so long, and they were all killing it the entire time and the crowd loved them.

There was another guy who must have spent the better part of an hour looking for the perfect song, listening to it on Spotify to "practice" (I guess?) and then when he finally came on, everyone gave him a good applause but he was so down on himself even while singing, and even afterward he sort of just shuffled off and angrily crossed his name off the queue for his second go before walking off. I really felt for him and wanted him to feel better about it because it is rough to get in front of everyone like that, but it wasn't to be.

There was another girl who couldn't figure out if she wanted to go on or not, and decided that she only wanted to go on if she could find someone else to go on with her. She disappeared for awhile and her turn finally came up, and she was so nervous to go on alone that she even asked me if -I- would go on with her. The issue was that she couldn't find someone to go on with her who knew the song, which I have a hard time believing because the song was If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys which is definitely one of her most well known classics. The song came on and we asked if anyone would go on with her and a girl jumped out of her seat to sing with her and they did great.

There was also a couple freshman on the football team who don't usually have time to attend activities like this but it was their free night, and one of them closed out the night with a John Legend song and really nailed it.

There are more but those were some of the stand out examples from the night. It really is just more fascinating because it was one of the first "welcome back" events to campus for all of the new students, and it's always interesting to me to see what kind of person a new student either believes they are or projects what they want to be for that year (or beyond.)
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 months ago#4
I remember in my senior year of high school deciding that I was going to be a good student. I sat in the front of every class. I was positive and hopeful.

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
2 months ago#5
I stopped sitting in the front of every class when I realized that I would fall asleep no matter where I was sitting, and it's a lot more embarrassing to fall asleep at the front of the class than at the back.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

Kylo Force
2 months ago#6
I remember sitting in the front of a class during my first year because it's where my friends in that class were sitting, but no matter how interesting the class was I would sometimes drift off and that would be really embarrassing.

My preferred sitting area for classes was actually probably about halfway back, somewhere off of center for large classes. Far enough away to not feel the pressure of sitting right up front but far enough away from the back where I would feel like I could just slack off.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I hosted karaoke for four hours yesterday.
  • Topic Archived