Now that James is gone, I feel an obligation to keep the conversation going

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Now that James is gone, I feel an obligation to keep the conversation going

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#1
Whaddup, y'know?

It's interesting that even five years ago, claiming to be a grande-dame of PMS would have felt like a more ironic act since I am a dude, but after years of eroding those barriers ironically, it's just not that notable. Because this is a male-dominated space? Because we have evolved as a society conscious of sex- and gender-difference? Who can say?

Also I will note that James is not dead, but in Australia for several weeks. As I look over this post, I realize that he may not have articulated that on the actual board. (#pleasedon'tburglehim)
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 week ago#2
My God, Satan, it's like the universe split in two
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
1 week ago#3
I'm not sure which topic to post in, so I'll just arbitrarily choose the one with Satan in it.

I'm not sure what you mean by society being more conscious of sex- and gender-difference? Do you mean in terms of being aware of a spectrum of genders rather than a binary? If so, I am glad for that, since it's nice to put a concept to my experience of gender, or lack thereof.

I do wish PMS, and video game spaces in general, were less male-dominated.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
1 week ago#4
I think he's referring to the thing we usually learn in either high school or college, that sex is a biological term and gender is a sociological/cultural term (or however is the most correct way of saying it.)

Observing the constantly evolving and more often than should be horrifying state of "race relations" in the US as of recently has also made me dig deeper into thoughts about intraethnic relations in my local area (especially about Filipinos and Filipino Americans). The conclusions I come to aren't often positive, but every once in awhile it gives me hope for a brighter future.

As for video games being a male dominated space, I do wish that it could not be that, but at this point I would settle for it being a less a******-ridden place. There's a part of me that dreams about diving in headfirst to the Smash Bros fighting game community, but then I read about how most of the top champions are pretty much jerks, and how the fans are completely disrespectful, entitled, and mean, and it makes me want to distance myself from it as far as possible, even when Smash is far and away one of my favorite game franchises of all time and has brought me so many happy times.

Anyway, woo, summer 2018 PMS. Who would have even guessed? Not me in 2001, having difficult discussions with Pooty about whether or not I'll be able to continue participating in board stuff because I'd be entering 8th grade. There are going to be kids that I'll be advising this year that were not born when I started posting on this message board. That puts things into perspective.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Now that James is gone, I feel an obligation to keep the conversation going

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.