How aware are you of discomfort and your general physical state?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How aware are you of discomfort and your general physical state?

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
3 months ago#1
I have a tendency to completely ignore my body, even when I'm really tired, hungry or thirsty, or even if it's too hot or too cold. My general approach is to just keep pushing on and doing whatever it is I'm set on doing, but eventually I end up feeling irritable and angry without even realizing why.

Nowadays, I'm better about recognizing that irritation, and taking time to figure out what I need--maybe to drink more water or go to bed for the night. But even then, it's really easy for me to ignore my body's physical needs. Pretty sure this doesn't happen for everyone, but how do you all approach this?
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 months ago#2
I think that in general, the more that I'm doing, the less that I listen to what my body is telling me unless it suddenly becomes so pronounced that it's no longer ignorable.

I think there are probably two easy examples of this. First, when I go hiking, I tend to be able to power through whatever tiredness or aching I have unless I've legitimately injured myself, and even then, it's sometimes easy to power through it until I get to the destination. However, sometimes it does get bad enough that I have to stop. Like last year, I went on a hike that had a really steady (and sometimes drastic) ascension followed by a steep descent down to a lake. After descending to the lake, my hips, knees, and ankles were aching really badly, so I took a long break down by the lake to recover before climbing back up. That climb back up was really, really difficult with how bad my body was hurting, so I made sure I took extra time doing it, and also at the top, before making the actual descent down.

The other easy example of this is when I'm taking a really challenging dance class (or classes in a row), I sometimes won't realize how thirsty or dehydrated I am until way after the fact. I try to be a lot better about this now though, and try to drink a lot of water throughout the day beforehand and also have extra water during. Sometimes there aren't a lot of great opportunities to take a break to get a drink of water unless one is built in. I imagine this is like a lot of other physical activities, but for me not being a sporty guy, it's not been something I experienced until I started taking more strenuous classes.

I think overall, I will say that I am just more aware of things like "oh, I'm going to be doing something strenuous or taxing, I should drink more water now" or "I'm definitely not going to have a chance to eat between now and finishing [whatever thing], so I should eat now." So I try to plan ahead for things like that as best as possible so I don't end up hating myself for not being more prepared.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 months ago#3
I feel like I'm extraordinary aware of my bodily state. I am a very neurotic person -- surprise surprise, I know.

User Info: BUM

BUM
3 months ago#4
Hm... kind of interesting! This seems to have a lot to do with discipline and prudence.

As far as discipline, I think it's a good thing to be able to push yourself forward through bodily pains, even to tune them out as you do. You say you are working towards a goal, and so I think it is good if your discipline can help you to persevere and not be thwarted.
But certainly the principle to always be looked at is reason. So sometimes it is reasonable to keep doing something even if the result will be a movement of anger or sadness, and this is perseverance which is virtuous; and sometimes it is not-- sometimes it is just stubborn, which is a vice.

I say a movement because I don't want to say that just because you have, according to certain motions in your body, some passion of anger or sadness or something, that it therefore means you are whelmed by anger or sadness. You could fight that by your reasoned will: just because a ship is in a storm does not mean it is at the mercy of the storm, if the helmsman is strong. But sometimes you must recognize that your frailty means you probably won't win the battle, and it is better to come to the aid of the weak body than to be unduly harsh with it.

On the other hand, yielding to every movement from your body will make you a slave of the passions. You feel hungry, you immediately seek food; thirsty, drink; and far beyond these two. Effectively, you begin to live like an animal, having no reason to dominate the appetites of the body. Your body grows unruly, just like every mouse given a cookie, and instead of serving you, you serve it. You set goals to accomplish, but you no longer can, because as soon as any obstacle arises, you go to nurse your flesh and abandon the steady course.

As, perhaps, the great Roman statesman Cato the Elder might say, you need to keep your slaves disciplined, lest they grow lazy and quarrelsome, but if you are too hard with the whip, you will lose your slave.
Carthago delenda est!
SIGNATURE

BUM
3 months ago#5
Oh, by the way, hello my fellow PMSians. Sorry for my long absence. At school it is hard to find sufficient free time and so I stopped using most of the functions of the internet... but as it is summer and I have a little more leisure...! My best summertime greetings to you, friends, with all the warmth and sunshine of the middle of July.
SIGNATURE

ShadowSpy
3 months ago#6
Hello! Nice of you to drop by!

The way you put it sounds very much like the typical Freudian battle between id and superego.

As for experiencing an emotion versus being at the mercy of them, that is a good point too! Oftentimes, I will grow irritable without realizing it, but the moment I do realize it, it goes away. The awareness helps to combat the feeling, while ignoring it means the feeling grows unchecked.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

BUM
3 months ago#7
Thanks, it is good to be by!

Haha, although I am certainly no ally of Mr. Freud's theories, I take your words in good stride :) But yeah, I think that often these things dissipate just by taking cognizance of them, but even if they don't, despite our best efforts, it is not necessarily a bad thing, and we can still persevere in our purposes without, say, lashing out at someone, or running away from fright.
SIGNATURE

ShadowSpy
3 months ago#8
Even if Freud is flat-out wrong on basically everything, I think his huge cultural impact (lol phallic imagery) can be attributed to some very appealing themes and imagery. So things like id vs. ego and childhood trauma affecting your psyche are concepts which are easy to explain, grasp and explore.

So yes, feel free to take them in stride. I basically do that every time I bring up Freud or Jung.

BUM
3 months ago#9
Right, Freud definitely has had a major impact on Western thought, even where we are not aware of it.

But really, I was not drawing on Freud but on Aristotle and St. Thomas. These are things that we have always known about, whether through the psychological science of Arist./Thomas, or the common observation of men, viz. Ovid's “I am dragged along by a strange new force. Desire and reason are pulling in different directions. I see the right way and approve it, but follow the wrong," or St. Paul's "For that which I work, I understand not. For I do not that good which I will; but the evil which I hate, that I do."

What Freud does is create a theoretical framework to explain this experience (and it is quite interesting, and I think it's pretty misunderstood), but I should say that the Greeks and scholastics did a much better and more reasonable job.

Now Jung I know little about.
SIGNATURE
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How aware are you of discomfort and your general physical state?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived