You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I'm really bad at keeping my gaming topics bumped

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
4 months ago#71
I snagged the Tetris Effect Weekend Demo on PS4 this morning and snuck in a few rounds before going to work. It's as fantastic as I thought it would be.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

Kylo Force
4 months ago#72
After struggling with it for literal hours, I finally finished Mystery Mode on the Tetris Effect weekend demo. Holy crap, it was so hard.

The goal is to get 150 lines. What happens is, every 7-12 pieces you place, an effect gets applied to the field, and almost all of them are negative. Things like shuffling the field around, giving you the same piece over and over, zooming the camera in, or the absolute worst, flipping the screen upside down.

On top of that, the regular Tetris Effect light and sound effects apply. The game starts with very atmospheric music and simple beats. At 50 lines, the beat starts to kick in, you get a couple lines of lyrics, the controller vibrates on beat, and light effects start to kick in (depending on the stage.) At 100 lines, the light and sound effects intensify, and more lyrics to the song kick in. It's all very overwhelming in sort of a cool way.

I do hope that they revise some of the colors when the full game comes out. It's exactly what I want it to be, but sometimes they make really bad low-contrast choices for colors (for one segment in one stage, there's a dark black background and for 40 or so lines, all of the blocks are a dark crimson color).
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#73
Update on No Man's Sky--pretty fun so far! It definitely has a steep learning curve, but it really scratches the exploration itch. I've completed the tutorial missions and am wondering what I should focus on next...there's a lot of ways to make money and a lot of different things to upgrade, which leads to analysis paralysis.

I am waiting for my friend to get back from vacation so that we can try multiplayer as well. Maybe build a base and get some kind of factory going. In the meantime, I guess I will just wander through a few solar systems.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

Kylo Force
4 months ago#74
Tetris Effect was released yesterday and by the modern magic of living on the west coast, I got to play it at 9 PM. It's incredible. If you have any love for Tetris and access to a PS4, I cannot recommend it enough. Best Tetris since Tetris DS.

Kylo Force
4 months ago#75
Played games with friends last Friday night. Dipped into Soul Caliber VI and I found it super intuitive and really fun even at my super scrubby level of play. The rock/paper/scissors mechanics of the vertical/horizontal/kick/block buttons along with the counter makes for fun fights at all skill levels.

We also dipped into Super Mario Party again and found it pretty fun again. We focused on the rhythm-based games and those are fast and furious (and hilarious) rounds.

Also played Smash 4 as a sendoff to that game for this group. Didn't do so well, but the game is such a blast that it doesn't matter. I've really been loving all of the love and attention that Ultimate has been getting up to its release, including the most recent trailer that suspiciously lacked backing music, most likely done so that people can add their own music and get tons of viral attention (see https://www.cnet.com/news/new-smash-bros-ultimate-trailer-is-now-an-amazing-musical-meme/ for examples).

On Saturday I hosted friends for dinner, including the 10 month old daughter of two of my friends, and discovered how effectively/not effectively my measures at babyproofing my living room were. (Not super effective because she was not walking two weeks ago and now walks everywhere.) We also tried Tetris Effect with them and they loved the music but found the gameplay overwhelming. They were impressed with my ability to play Tetris at high speeds and also carry a conversation simultaneously (which was only because the game was still at early levels, low speed, and I hadn't messed up yet.)

We also dug into Detroit: Become Human and while I'm not a huge fan of David Cage / Quantic Dream, I watched the two SBFP LPs and thought that the game was interesting enough to want to see all of the story paths and experience it for myself. We played it cinematic style, passing the controller every time the character changes (there's three playable characters) and got maybe 1/3rd of the way through it. I've already seen scenes that I didn't see just watching the LPs, so it was a fascinating thing to watch and play again.

Sunday and Monday I dug into Tetris Effect again when I could and I'm still blown away by it. Weirdly, it does just make my anticipation for Smash Ultimate grow that much more.

I don't have Pokemon: Let's Go! preordered, but I might pick it up on a whim if I feel like it later on in the week. I don't have a great pressing need for it, but a lighter Pokemon game actually sounds fun because when I pick up my copy of Alpha Sapphire, I get bored of it pretty quickly.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
4 months ago#76
I've played Kingdom on and off since release, since I enjoyed it but really seemed to suck at it. I finally cracked and looked up some strats and it turns out I fundamentally misunderstood how farms work, so now that's fun.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Kylo Force
4 months ago#77
I bought Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu last Friday ok a whim and last night I beat it.

I caught 102 Pokemon, including Mewtwo, and completed a couple of the post game sidequests.

It is an excellent retelling of the story of the original RBY, incredibly charming and sometimes hilarious writing, and a great primer for Pokemon for people who are new to the series. For series veterans, the writing is on point, and I appreciated the experimentation with the game formula.

My only complaint is that the catching mechanics should have been identical between docked/undocked, and they should have went with the undocked version for both and I can't tell a reason they didn't, other than it probably wouldn't have worked well with the Pokeball Plus controller.

Highly recommended if you're looking for a fun ride through a retelling of RBY, your favorite mons are of the original 151, and you don't mind something a little old and a little new with your Pokemon. I'd be happy to play versions of this for the subsequent Pokemon generations, especially GSC and DPP.

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
3 months ago#78
I've gotten back into Dragon Quest. Such a well-done game. I love it.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

Kylo Force
3 months ago#79
I have arranged for a sale of Let's Go Pikachu after getting all of my enjoyment out of it (and several Meltan for Go on my phone.)

The local friends and I have arranged for a potential threepeat of Smash Bros evenings starting next Friday. I don't think I've been this excited for a game in a very, very long time. They're really knocked it out of the park with all of the marketing for Smash Ultimate.

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
3 months ago#80
I WANT THE ULTIMATE EDITION GOD DAMMIT

/caps
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I'm really bad at keeping my gaming topics bumped