• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I'm really bad at keeping my gaming topics bumped

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 weeks ago#361
Oh it turns out I was okay.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
2 weeks ago#362
I played Smash Ultimate last night and even though I lost most of the night, it felt good to get back into the game.

https://youtu.be/EjJEr669tf8

You can see me have brief flashes of brilliance among the numerous losses here.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
2 weeks ago#363
I'm gonna try playing Transistor this weekend, since some podcast peeps I follow are doing a Game Club on it this month. I heard it's a pretty short game, so I figure I'll actually check it out.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

willis5225
2 weeks ago#364
Okay so I love Far Cry Primal. Far Cry in general is a very satisfying gameplay loop (try to go to a place > get distracted by 100 things along the way > encounters are either swiftly and brutally in your favor or harrowing > get to the thing which requires not-necessarily-perfect play > upgrade your stuff and realize you need like one more Tapir skin and you have to go get that). That's plenty to get much of the way through the shallow violent power fantasies of the mainline games, but the side games have so much more love put into them. Blood Dragon? Gloriously 80s action movie. This one? Gloriously neolithic. Another one? I am not aware of a third one!

They hired somebody to make up a plausibly indo-European language (or possibly they're speaking reconstructed proto-Celtic proto-Germanic or something; I can pick out phrases and I'm starting to get the grammar, but I'm in over my head on this one). It's so great! Why would you pay for that? Maybe I just have too low an opinion of AAA game studios, but how many even employ someone who would know to suggest paying someone to tell you what your 10th-millennium BCE Indo-European migrants would plausibly speak?

The series as a whole has a more complicated relationship with violence than others. (FC3 did this really well throughout, for example with the actual and disgusting "skin animal" animation and *especially* the scene toward the end where you torture your brother so you don't have to break cover.) By switching from gun violence to melee combat, the game forces the player to look very closely at the lives you're taking by ramming a spear through a human body or bludgeoning a person to death wit a club. There's an urgent moral justification for the violence you're doing (though there's an enormous tension--you are a new arrival founding a new village, but the established Udam are continually referred to as "invaders;" I'm pretty sure that's on purpose). But it's still ugly and awful, and the other characters generally stop short of relishing it when you kill a bunch of people. (When they do relish it, it seems understandably out-of-character, like because a neanderthal has just murdered a bunch of their friends.)

The actual gameplay is fine--the environments are gorgeous, the trippy shamanism sequences are appropriately trippy and have very cool iconography. Beasts are slightly overpowered (or maybe I just went for Tame Kitties early) but like yeah lions are bigger than people.

(I'm generally writing a lot to counterbalance the tear I went on about that other expensive game. See I am a fun person.)
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

willis5225
1 week ago#365
Lol immediately after I posted that, my lions all got killed by bears and Iggy Azalea and now I'm sad.
-Mimir

Kylo Force
1 week ago#366
I picked up Kentucky Route Zero this week because it had its first sale on Switch. I know almost nothing about it other than it's supposed to be a narratively-driven game and it came out episodically starting several years ago.

I will probably start it this evening.
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
1 week ago#367
I don't think I like Transistor that much. The setting, music and lore are great, but the gameplay is a bit lackluster.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
1 week ago#368
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 week ago#369
LinkPrime1 posted...
Boo! Boo I say!
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

Kylo Force
1 week ago#370
Kylo Force posted...
I picked up Kentucky Route Zero this week because it had its first sale on Switch. I know almost nothing about it other than it's supposed to be a narratively-driven game and it came out episodically starting several years ago.

I will probably start it this evening.

I did not start Kentucky Route Zero last night because I played Smash Bros instead. Womp womp.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I'm really bad at keeping my gaming topics bumped
  • Post New Message