• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I'm really bad at keeping my gaming topics bumped

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 weeks ago#351
I had to log into Skype for the first time in ten years and it had my old MSN Messenger friends listed, who were all Canadian AAA people who haven't signed in since 9/11.

I think Bloodstained might be a bad game. Like, it's definitely an expensive game, and it's definitely a lot of game, and it's fun and all, but there are lots of lazy mistakes. My favorite is that it's possible and indeed easy to jump into a ceiling exit and then fall back into it. This happens basically all the time if you stop holding down the Jump button during the room transition. This would not be a major problem, except that there are some room transitions that are no joke 15 seconds long. (In the Clock Tower.) (Also the clock tower is poorly optimized and just about every time there's a gear on screen the Switch chugs like a future Supreme Court nominee in his freshman year.)

During dialogue, the character models stand perfectly still except for their mouths which move. That is not an especially worthwhile effect but sure if that's the thing you want to lovingly craft do you. But then sometimes there are demons that have dialogue and their mouths don't move. So a person says some stuff and the mouth moves and then it cuts to the demon and the mouth doesn't move.

There are tons of weapons but most them are slow to use and have unforgivingly small hit boxes. This is supposed to be a veteran operation. How have you not figured out quantity vs. quality?

Every time the weeping peasant who knows everyone who has died and asks you to avenge them gives you a quest, she shouts "Kill those Murderous Dead!" stirringly, but it is not a good enough line to repeat that often.

Jumping into a portal gives you a weird upskirt shot of Miriam which is deeply uncomfortable. Also some accessories modify the character model and others don't, and the ones that modify her model are like cat ears which is gross. The cat ears are an amulet while the elf ears are a hat.

The whole quick change system is broken and dumb. It's dumb when games put convenient menu options behind secrets and side quests, and to alleviate that dumbness there plenty of findable quick change slots. But I need like two quick change slots. Possibly because they made ten slots, you can get really fine-tuned with what's in each slot, like each one is a whole weapon/armor/shard suite. But most of the time one piece of armor is the Good Armor so now I have to update ten separate quick change profiles to use the good armor and the good passive shard and the good exploration shard instead of the armor, passive shard, and exploration shard I was using when I acquired whatever object made me update my weapon sets. Who designed this? Why did they do it this way?

There's too many shovel knights. Shovel Knights suffer from diminishing returns.

Why are there guns? I have magic arrows that do 40x the damage of the gun and use a renewable ammo source that's well integrated into the core gameplay loop. I tried using the gun once out of a sense of obligation, like because some poor schlub had to program that whole system in, and all it did was change my familiar to the smaller, weaker familiar I was using when I thought I might someday use a gun and set up a gun quick change slot.

The boss fights lack luster.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

willis5225
3 weeks ago#352
Anyway, I give it a grad school B+.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#353
Grad school B+, that's a fail, wow.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

willis5225
3 weeks ago#354
It's a fail from someone I know can do better but whom we've collectively invested too much in to turn our back on now so we should allow them to continue to fail upward.
-Mimir

willis5225
3 weeks ago#355
Bats are everywhere and thanks to their AI it is basically impossible for them to hit you
-Mimir

Jacehan
3 weeks ago#356
I mean, I seemed to like it more than you do, but I definitely didn't change my weapons all that often, and had Dung, who already played it, telling me what some of the best ones were, which probably helped. I find all of your critiques valid, even if I didn't find them so detrimental.

Except maybe the one about the quick switch, as I think I used that a lot. I definitely remember having a set just for being underwater, which being able to quick switch to was very useful, even if it was a fairly niche set.
Paper Mario Social:

willis5225
3 weeks ago#357
I was just on a train, and when I got on the train there was a time limit (for the first time) and a meter starts counting up to 400 as I walk. So you have to go 400 distance, and every second and a half of forward walking gets you one unit of distance. I'm rushing ahead to make sure I get to 400 with plenty of time and then I get to the boss.

At 290/400. I defeated the boss and pulled into the station, and the counter remained at 290/400.

Why did a designer cause this game to (a) display a distance counter (b) out of 400 if the distance was meaningless and the ratio out of 400 was irrelevant?

You're completely right this isn't especially detrimental to the overall experience--I'm having fun!--it's just... perplexingly bad game design. Like this is stuff that was in SotN and replaying it a couple of years ago, I was like "oh because the genre was young." But there's no explanation for why a lot of this stuff is happening!
-Mimir

willis5225
2 weeks ago#358
In other news, I've started playing Far Cry Primal and I sort of love it for reasons I'll go into when I'm not just posting because I looked at the clock and couldn't remember if I'd posted today
-Mimir

Jacehan
2 weeks ago#359
That's what you check your account page for.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
2 weeks ago#360
Smart idea
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I'm really bad at keeping my gaming topics bumped
  • Post New Message