My "Starbucks Name" was infiltrated.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. My "Starbucks Name" was infiltrated.

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
4 months ago#1
Let's begin by defining some terms.

A "Starbucks Name" is the name that you give at restaurants or other businesses that require you give a name (as in, when you order at Starbucks and then they ask you for your name so they know what name to call) that is not your actual name, that you give for any number of reasons.

The name I give at food places is Jay. My reason is that my real name is commonly misspelled, with people inserting H's where they don't belong. For three years I have given the name Jay and it has mostly gone as planned. Until today, I can only think of two major incidents that came about that I did not anticipate:

Situation one: The name is still misheard. I've gotten James and Jake several times, and on the most confusing and questionable instance, Chang.

Situation two: Once I gave the name Jay and the girl asked me "Oh, is that like, J-A-Y or just the letter J?" and I just looked at her dumbfounded because I had never considered this before. It was a little reminiscent of when a friend told me she and her roommate had nicknamed their Roomba, but it wasn't until several months later that she discovered she thought her Roomba's name was "Jeff," and her roommate thought it was "Geoff." Apparently this caused weird (but ultimately harmless) tension between them for a couple days.

BUT TODAY, there was an infiltration of my Starbucks Name like never before and I am feeling so weirdly fiery about it. I was at a poke place getting one of my favorite poke bowls for dinner, and as usual the guy asked me for my name. And as I have done for three years now in many similar situations, I said my name was Jay.

And this guy looks back at me and says, "Oh, wait, did you say your name is Jay? On the screen [of the terminal on which he had just swiped my credit card] I thought it said your name was Jon."

Having literally never been confronted about this before, I must have looked really surprised and I just said, "Yes. My real name is Jon" before taking my credit card back.

And he just replied, "Oh... uhh, okay."

Minutes later my name (Jay) was called and I got my bowl and I ate dinner.

I have no idea why this incident is sticking in my craw so badly but I feel so weirdly shaken up by this. I think it's probably because I chose this name in order to reduce confusion at eating establishments and this is the greatest addition of confusion to an eating experience I've had since making that decision.

It's been a weird day.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock
4 months ago#2
Oh man, that would have had me so embarrassed too. I’d probably have tried to explain that it wasn’t my nickname or something...but I’d still feel sheepish.
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#3
Yeah, I have a lot of friends who use a Starbuck's name, if only because their names are too difficult to spell.

Maybe pick one without any ambiguous spellings?
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
4 months ago#4
I've been considering using a Starbucks-type pseudonum in the course of a housing search because I've heard stories of people with foreign-sounding names (like 'Shai') being more likely to hear back from e.g. realtors when they used fake American names. I'm worried though that I would have to create a whole parallel email account because my regular email address would be linked to my real name and I'm afraid if someone got confused by that I'd have to either fess up or spin an even more elaborate tangled web.

Kylo Force
4 months ago#5
My full name is extremely passable as a white person's name and on more than one occasion I have been recruited for Jewish organizations because of it. I have no doubt that there have been people surprised to see me, what I look like, and what my background is if they had only seen my name first.
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
4 months ago#6
Kylo Force posted...
The name I give at food places is Jay. My reason is that my real name is commonly misspelled, with people inserting H's where they don't belong.

But in the context of ordering food at a restaurant, the spelling of your name doesn't matter, right? All they do with your name is call it out, and you won't hear a misspelling.

In any case, assigning numbers to customers is the better system, because names can collide.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#7
I understand why service industries will choose to use names though, because there is a desire to make the experience more personalized and welcoming. It also leads to situations where returning customers will be recognized and identified by name, which is kinda cool.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 months ago#8
People also can pick out their name when it is called out even when they are not paying attention, which is not the case for numbers.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

Kylo Force
4 months ago#9
Kodiologist posted...
But in the context of ordering food at a restaurant, the spelling of your name doesn't matter, right? All they do with your name is call it out, and you won't hear a misspelling.

In any case, assigning numbers to customers is the better system, because names can collide.

This is correct, but staring at a cup from Starbucks that has "JOHN" written on it is annoying to me in a way I have difficulty rationalizing.

In 2011 I wrote to the local corporate Starbucks office praising one of the local locations for their employees spelling my name correct and they wrote me a nice e-mail back.

I just want my name spelled right. I opted to change to a name that I imagined would be easier to spell. I imagined wrong.

User Info: GMTELigence

GMTELigence
4 months ago#10
As a Jakob and not a Jacob, I never get my name spelled right on things like that. I could easily just go by Jake, but I never introduce myself as such and it just feels weird.
Let NOTHING stand in your way.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. My "Starbucks Name" was infiltrated.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived