Reading TTRPG books as a pasttime

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Reading TTRPG books as a pasttime

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
4 weeks ago#11
Fate is one of those systems that I fell in love with when reading it, but never felt like it "worked" in practice. It's a lot of work to get everyone on the same page regarding Aspects, like how specific or vague they should be, and then it's even more work to keep track of Aspects during play.

Theoretically, this stuff should come second-nature and lead to a vibrant Fate Point economy where the characters' lives are complicated and then fixed, but..I guess I never got it to that second-nature point.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

ShadowSpy
4 weeks ago#12
I tried the Dungeon Crawl Classics system last Saturday, and it was pretty interesting. Dunno if I'd enjoy playing it all the time, but it was fun to roll a d14 for the first time, and to get some old-school dungeon delving under my belt.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 weeks ago#13
Oh so I was returning a rental car and couldn't get to the actual road the place was on because it's next to LaGuardia, so I listened to the actual broadcast radio for the second or third time this year, when this came on:
http://snapjudgment.org/chaotic-good

And it turns out I know that guy relatively well, but didn't recognize his voice. So that was a mind-trip, because of how the episode was edited.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

ShadowSpy
3 weeks ago#14
Yeah, that was an interesting tale, and the sound editing was actually pretty good.

ShadowSpy
3 weeks ago#15
I've been reading through the Headspace rules, which I'm actually pretty familiar with due to listening to a lot of Actual Play podcasts of the game. But it's still nice to read through--this is one of those games that I've heard about and wanted to play for a long time. I dunno, something about a game where rage can overload the telepathic link between everyone in a cyberpunk team and cause them to overreact just speaks to me.

ShadowSpy
1 week ago#16
Dungeon Crawl Classics has a pretty interesting magic dueling system, where when you counter a spell, you roll on a random table to find out what random effects happen. The philosophy behind that is to make magical feel wild and unpredictable, and I like that's what they are going for. One of the problems with D&D is that the magic system stops feeling magical and instead becomes just a list of effects you can invoke. Whereas with a randomized magical system, DCC is able to evoke the feeling of wonder that older fantasy novels have--stuff like in Earthsea where magic should never be used lightly and its effects are unpredictable.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Reading TTRPG books as a pasttime

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.