Reading TTRPG books as a pasttime

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Reading TTRPG books as a pasttime

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#1
Lately, I've been reading through more TTRPG books to get a sense of what systems are out there and how they all tick, and also as a desire to find and play something other than D&D. I recently finished reading the new Legend of Five Rings beta put out by FFG games, and now am working my way through Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine.

I realize that this is actually a habit I've had since junior high, when I got my first D&D player's handbook. I always just read these things straight through, from cover to cover including the spell lists. And while I enjoy it, I never really put the rules to practice and run any games--I guess it's just difficult getting a bunch of other people on board with the same level of enthusiasm I have.

Anyway, anyone still involved in tabletop RPGs, or RPing of any kind? I know some of my most treasured RPing experiences have been right here on this board, so I was wondering if anyone is still involved with it.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 months ago#2
I've played some D&D somewhat recently - but we haven't had a session in a while, so I guess that campaign petered out.

The interview I just had mentioned that every teacher runs a club and that the advisor of the tabletop club at the school was leaving, so if I got hired, I could wind up picking that up. (Big if.)
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
4 months ago#3
I've always liked reading the D&D 3rd edition and Pathfinder SRDs. There's a lot of interesting stuff in those. I've been involved in tabletop games for 4 or 5 years now, mostly as a GM, currently as a player. It's a great way to make friends. The trick is getting people to actually show up to the game.

I haven't read Chuubo's, but I'm a fan of Nobilis, an earlier similar game by the same author, and I recently playtested a simplified version for the first time: http://arfer.net/games/nobilite

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#4
Finished reading Chuubo's, and let me tell you---this is an anime-as-f*** game.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#5
I read an example of play for Chuubo's and am actually enthusiastic about trying it now. The mechanics made no sense to me on the first read-through, but the example shows it working together pretty well.

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#6
And now I've finished reading the Chuubo's Halloween one-shot scenario, and can't get over how silly it is that one of the characters is named "Shounen"....which just means "Boy". Still, it looks fun and I want to try it with a group sometime in the next few months.

I'm out of other RPG systems to read through, but maybe I'll check out some of the modifications made since the L5R beta was released.

ShadowSpy
4 months ago#7
GMed my first D&D 5e game last Wednesday, and I think it went pretty well. We had two guest players, and my usual GM didn't have anything prepared, so I stepped in with the Beginner's Adventure. They killed some goblins, almost got killed by goblins, and completely bullrushed through a hostage situation! Not bad for a D&D game, I'd say.

Though it does bug me that D&D is considered the default ttrpg for so many people. It really isn't a grewat introduction to ttrpgs.

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
4 months ago#8
Yeah, it's an excessively crunchy game, especially for people's introduction to the hobby.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 months ago#9
I guess it really depends on what you're going for. Some people just want a campaign fantasy combat simulator. (Although now after playing a game of Gloomhaven, maybe they should just play that.)
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: zztman5

zztman5
4 months ago#10
I've actually been reading up on the Fate system recently. It looks neat.
Ryan Stiles: Blue Suede Shoes?
Colin Mochrie: ...nice pants? - Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Song Titles
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Reading TTRPG books as a pasttime

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived