Unprofessional

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Jacz_the_Mage

Jacz_the_Mage
3 months ago#1
So back in March I got an email out of the blue inviting me to a demo lesson at a school. This is odd not just because it was out of the blue (not a place I applied to), but that also the demo lesson is usally the second step of the hiring process, after the interview. I go in for it in early April with pretty much no information on what it will be like, and the students are equally unprepared. I don't even get introduced to the class by their actual teacher. Afterwards, the principal says she can't debrief it right away because she has to teach the following period - totally unorthodox, and why wiuld she schedule it then if that were the case? Then she says she'll call me that Thursday to do a phone debrief. She doesn't call. We never have a conversation.

I don't hear from here again until I get an email thanking me for my interest and that they were going with another candidate. Excuse me? It was her interest, and she totally botch ped every step. Even if the email today had been a job offer, I wouldn't have taken it considering how badly the hiring process was handled.
"You can't keep throwing people at your problems, dear." - Emma Frost to Colossus
~Jacehan~

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
3 months ago#2
Geez man, that's totally weird. I think you dodged a bullet, or someone applied for the position using your email.

Some dude signed up for factory worker alerts for one of my emails, and it's kinda annoying.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 months ago#3
I have a separate suspicion here that maybe they didn't actually intend on hiring anyone from the outside at all. They may have had an internal candidate that they wanted to choose all along, and only had to bring in other candidates at the direction of their own hiring processes.

Still though, unprofessional practices suck. It's also part of why I started looking (and got) a new job late last year. In the midst of that process, I'd found that I was actually owed a significant amount of overtime, and in the six months it took them to process and examine that request, I found a new job and moved to a different department, AND they determined that I indeed was owed the overtime, BUT had to pay back comp time used in place of overtime payment because the first year I was working there, I wasn't actually eligible for comp time.

The number of layers of incompetence or willful ignorance that led to the situation has cost me nearly $500, but overall I'm glad to be out of there because it really just wasn't working out after I'd been there for so long.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
3 months ago#4
Ahhh, excellent point Jon. That could be it.

Also, I saw that happened to you on Facebook. s*** sucks.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

Kylo Force
3 months ago#5
I'm going back and forth about whether or not I want to submit a letter of my version of how things went down to the big boss in that unit, but I'm hesitant because the unit and department I work for still works with them pretty closely, and he would have been filled in on the majority of those details already.

There's the part of me that wants to be satisfied that I'd made any inquiry at all because I'd be completely out that money 100% if I didn't say anything at all, but it still feels wrong somehow that reporting on inconsistencies in their practices now penalizes me such a sizable portion of what I was owed in the first place. And I get that what I invoked was following the letter of the practice, but I can't help but shake the feeling I was out-loopholed here.
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
3 months ago#6
Back during my last job search, I went through a strange phone interview where I spoke with one engineer and like...two non-engineers all at the same time. They asked me some behavioral questions and what-if questions regarding engineering and then offered me a job on the spot.

Needless to say, I had all sorts of alarm bells going off. It doesn't make sense to hire someone for an in-person job without meeting them in person, and they didn't seem to care how good of an engineer I was.

It's weird to think about, but I think a difficult interviewing process actually makes me more comfortable to work with a company, because I can trust that there's a quality bar for everyone I'm working with.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

Kylo Force
3 months ago#7
There's a fine line with that too, because I can easily see something crossing into the realm of being difficult for difficulty's sake rather than actually being material to you being hire-able or not.

I have a lot of trust issues with recruiting and interviewing in science and tech fields, if only because I've seen some of my previous students go through the wringer to have it come to nothing, or even worse, be promised permanent positions after a really successful internship and then the company dragging their feet on letting them know that a position didn't actually exist and that she'd have to start her job search from the ground up (when they could have let her know four months prior so she would have actually had time to look for another job.)

I also have a lot of issues with how big tech does their recruiting and their retention practices, but I won't go off on that unless asked, since I think I'm letting myself get away with what this topic was supposed to be about.

User Info: GMTELigence

GMTELigence
3 months ago#8
ShadowSpy posted...
It's weird to think about, but I think a difficult interviewing process actually makes me more comfortable to work with a company, because I can trust that there's a quality bar for everyone I'm working with.

I completely agree with this statement. I walked into an interview two years ago and the very first question they asked me was "You're thrown into a classroom. You have to teach students about the causes of World War I. What does the lesson look like? What do you want them to take with them after? You have 30 seconds to think about this." After enduring countless fluff interviews, it was extremely invigorating to engage in a 90 minute interview that solely focused on what I consider important elements of teaching and gave me the opportunity to showcase my aptitude. While I unfortunately did not wind up working for them (another school offered me a position and needed a decision before the second round of interviews with this school), it left a distinct impression as to how I want to conduct interviews once I progress into the administrative realm.
Let NOTHING stand in your way.

User Info: Jacz_the_Mage

Jacz_the_Mage
3 months ago#9
I've thought about replying to express how I felt, but it's probably not a good idea.
"You can't keep throwing people at your problems, dear." - Emma Frost to Colossus
~Jacehan~

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 months ago#10
(Everybody knows about Ask a Manager (http://www.askamanager.org) right? She addresses this sort of thing all the time with wisdom and compassion. Incidentally, I think she would say not to bother, because anything *that* bureaucratic in an ed/higher ed context is totally fossilized and not worth expending capital on.)
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived