An Elaborate Setup

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. An Elaborate Setup

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 months ago#1
Yesterday I spent a bunch more time than I thought I would trying to take my own passport photos so I wouldn't have to pay someone to do it for me. I learned many things:

- I am very, very rarely happy with a picture that is taken of me straight on. Unfortunately, that is what most forms of ID demand from us.

- Trying to take advantage of natural light and artificial light in pictures is way harder than I thought it would be (suddenly, Tyra Banks asking people to "find the light" doesn't seem so ridiculous)

- Taking self portraits, even with a point-and-shoot with custom controls and a timer, is challenging

- Having someone else there to help direct me would have made this way easier

- Taking pictures at super close range can result in really unsettling eyeball reflections of both the light source and the light from the phone you're using as a "mirror" to help with posing

- A lack of a proper tripod is something that can be solved with an ironing board and a handful of large-box board games, like so:
https://i.imgur.com/gnvl0BM.jpg

On that last point, I was really happy with this setup and it actually let me take a few good pictures, both for passport purposes and for social media/profile picture purposes.

I'm wondering if anyone has had to make an "elaborate setup" that may or may not have been improvised to fulfill a certain purpose? I've used friend's shoulders, stacks of rocks, and other stable surfaces for tripod substitutes before, but this was the first time I combined an ironing board and some board games for that purpose. Having white walls and adequate lighting in my bedroom was also a plus to use as a backdrop.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 months ago#2
I once used one of those pizza box non-crush circles to keep a headlight in place after my car got sideswiped three (3) times during a series of blizzards. It's one of my fondest memories, honestly.

This looks like a *solid* passport photo setup.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
3 months ago#3
Yeah, no one really looks good with a straight on photo. =/

But the point of those photos is to help other people identify you, so it makes sense that they have all these rules about hair and face angle.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

Kylo Force
3 months ago#4
Oh yeah, I know exactly why they do the front-on picture and that's all well and good, but it was sort of torturous to get a picture that was even passable for those standards.

When I was getting my driver's license renewed, the lady taking the pictures redid mine twice, and on the third picture she said "That will do" which of course gave me no confidence that the picture would turn out well.

(It didn't.)
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 months ago#5
I'm 30 and need to get back in the dating scene and uhh. Yep selfies are hard. Especially when you're a solid 6 like myself.

I think you nailed that setup though.

I had to Frankenstein together a whole bunch of screwdrivers and adapters once to unscrew a TV mount. What a poor design that was.

Kylo Force
3 months ago#6
I mean I am a solid 6 from only the neck up and it just goes down from there, but I feel like I have so much better control over selfies than I do trying to pose for a shot in a camera.

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
3 months ago#7
Not gonna lie from the topic title I was expecting a much longer opening post and then a punchline at the end.

Kylo Force
3 months ago#8
I can only wish I were actually that clever but unfortunately I am not.

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
3 months ago#9
I'm a big fan of your tripod.

You dudes are better than 6s. Have some confidence if yourselves! You're both awesome.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. An Elaborate Setup

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived