So I guess I'm a guy who paints miniatures now.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. So I guess I'm a guy who paints miniatures now.

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
3 months ago#1
Last fall I participated in my friend's Blood Bowl league (Blood Bowl is a tabletop game whose premise is, it's just like Warhammer except instead of war they play a game approximating American Football). I got really into the game, started playing the computer version and watching Twitch streams of it. You can play as a lot of different races/factions in the game and I discovered the one I like the most is Lizardmen, which is not one of the six teams my friend has in his collection. So I decided, why not, and bought some minis with the intention of giving them a basic paint job. My friend offered me use of his painting workshop and to teach me some techniques.

I quickly became more emotionally invested in these little lizard guys than I thought I would be. While they were in transit I was refreshing the delivery tracker every day (which is how I assume expectant fathers behave). I've been nerding out with friend/paint-mentor over painting them and I have a better and better idea of how I want them to look. They're living in his house while I'm painting them because that's where the workshop is but every time I visit, even if I'm not painting, I feel an urge to check up on them.

I always thought of miniatures painting as something for other people to do. Generally hobbies involving slow, patient effort don't really appeal to me. And for all I know this might be the last set of minis I ever paint. But it's been a fun, novel experience so far and I'm glad I'm giving it a shot.

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 months ago#2
That's fun! And kind of adorable. Are you gonna do some progress pics for us?

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
3 months ago#3
That's pretty cool! I've always known people who do mini-painting but couldn't really see the appeal of it. It just seemed like a lot of effort. But if I was emotionally invested in what the mini represents, I think I would feel differently!
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 months ago#4
That sounds like a fun game (in the vein of the old Mutant League games?) but like you as of last summer, I'm really skeptical of my ability to stick with any hobby that requires that much fine detail work. Which is to say that your story of overcoming that skepticism and embracing such a hobby really *speaks* to me. I'm *proud* of you, man.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
2 months ago#5
That's pretty awesome, and I'm glad you found something you enjoy in an unexpected way!

I feel like that's the best way to both learn something about yourself, as well as discover something new you like.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: GMTELigence

GMTELigence
2 months ago#6
I'm anxiously waiting to see these!
Let NOTHING stand in your way.

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
2 months ago#7
The painting stalled a bit, partly because I was already going to that house one evening a week to play Blood Bowl, and I didn't feel like making the trek more often than that. I do have some photos handy of what the lizards looked like after priming, though:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-aK90Lnog_PegLC4uYGaFORMYPR6Jo85/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LJM238CDcmJiHsNVR-3Ol4n9EpLXrwlN/view?usp=sharing

Per my mentor's instruction, this stage was done via a technique that uses different colors of primer to get a shading effect. The pieces were airbrushed with black primer all around, then with gray primer at a 45 degree downwards angle from all sides, then with white primer just from the top. The resulting shading isn't supposed to come across in the finished piece, but it can act as a guide during the painting phase to make features of the model easier to see.

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
2 months ago#8
Very nice. Looking forward to the finished product!
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
2 months ago#9
That is really cool. I've never played any games or really done any projects that have needed that level of attention to detail, but even at the primer stage I think all of those look really cool.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. So I guess I'm a guy who paints miniatures now.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived