Re: Name confusion

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Re: Name confusion

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 months ago#1
I just saw another Kylo on the internet for the first time and it wasn't me and I was super confused for a moment.

I know it was inevitable because of Star Wars usurping my name, but today it finally happened. It was on a local Discord for Pokemon Go.

That's all, really.

In other name confusion news, I usually give the name Jay when ordering food, etc in real life because my real name is commonly misspelled. However, it turns out "Jay" is just as easily misinterpreted, and I've had it appear as "James," "Jake," and the most hilarious one, "Chang."

There was also the girl who asked me if it was "like J-A-Y" or "just the letter J" and she caught me off guard and I had to think about it for a moment. That was an interesting one.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
3 months ago#2
Your second anecdote reminds me about how my BF usually tells people his name as it would be pronounced in English (Dung) as opposed to Vietnamese (Yung) because he claims it's easier and people won't get it right, especially the tones. But then I've seen people still get it wrong and say "Doug" or "Don," so it's not the best strategy. (He usually gives his last name when ordering food.)
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

Kylo Force
3 months ago#3
I had a coworker named Phong and she would always introduce her name to rhyme with Kong rather than the more proper pronunciation, which would be closer to "fung." When I asked her about this, she said "it's just easier for people and over time I've gotten used to it," which really struck me as sort of sad because I've really come to the position that people deserve to be called by their name properly. I try really hard to holding myself accountable to that now, though in my old coworker’s case, if she really wanted to go by [rhymes with Kong], I'd respect that as well.
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 months ago#4
My intern Aakash gives his name as Bob when we go out. I think it is kind of sad. I'm with Kylo. I try to get it right. And I don't get it when it's a name made up exclusively of sounds that ARE FAMILIAR to English speakers but just in a novel order.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 months ago#5
I sell translation rights in east Asia a lot, and some of the "Western" names people pick are kind of a lot to handle. I wish we lived in a world where everyone just agreed to do their best to call everyone by the name they have, because I don't want to have to be a judgy dick who wonders if you've really thought through calling yourself "Enya Song."
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Kylo Force
3 months ago#6
I did meet people in high school who went by an "American" name in say, elementary school or middle school, and then their name was like that on the books, but on the first day of class, they'd use their actual birth name and ask the teacher to disregard the American name. I didn't pay it much thought back then, but in retrospect I do think that was a good move.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Re: Name confusion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived