How come ever brand needs to e-mail you every day?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How come ever brand needs to e-mail you every day?

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
3 months ago#1
I went to the Gap because all of my pants from last year have already sprouted crotch holes, which render them unsuitable for wearing as pants, and they asked for my e-mail address, and they seemed so desperate that I gave it to them. (They had a general 50% off thing and also they gave out Gap Dollars which are like Kohl's Cash.)

So then in the next four days I get 8 e-mails:
- Thanks for shopping at the Gap
- Welcome to the Gap's mailing list!
- Your Gap deals for Thursday
- Gap specials this Friday!
- It's a Gap kind of weekend!
- You have successfully unsubscribed from the Gap's mailing list
- Sundays at the Gap!
- So how did you like being on the Gap's mailing list?

How is this supposed to build brand loyalty?
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
3 months ago#2
Brand loyalty via saturation, apparently. But yes, it's definitely noticeable. I did a gigantic purge of subscribed e-mails awhile back and it was so refreshing to not wake up to an inbox full of marketing e-mails every day. Now I do that every couple of months.

Granted, I usually sign up for these things in the first place because there was a good deal to be had or a rebate or something, so I put up with it at first, and then I try to take control again immediately afterward.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
3 months ago#3
Yeah, I think a huge part of the reason is to just make sure you don't forget them, and hoping you're too lazy to unsubscribe.
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

willis5225
3 months ago#4
How come ever time I type the word "every," I screw it up, but only in the fields that you can't edit?
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
3 months ago#5
I don't know how I'd live without Sieve ( http://sieve.info/ ). Well, I guess I'd hate email as much as everybody else does. Anyway, while big companies like Target and Orbitz are certainly aggressive spammers, I find I write the most Sieve entries for work spam and journal spam. Work spam is all the mail that gets sent to everybody at UCLA Health: newsletters, blood-drive announcements, concert announcements, lecture announcements, reminders that it's the International Week of $DISEASE Awareness, etc. It's amazing that the administration allows this sort of thing despite how all the spam drowns out the messages researchers and physicians actually need to read. Journal spam is invitations to submit to the umpteenth predatory open-access journal, written in Engrish. Some of them have the title of a journal article I wrote automatically inserted into the text, along with a claim that the person who ostensibly wrote the email has read my article.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
3 months ago#6
How comes ever brand need ta email ya ever day!

willis5225
3 months ago#7
I tell you what!
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. How come ever brand needs to e-mail you every day?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived