• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Do differences in temperature of a few degrees change your behavior/clothing?

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
9 months ago#1
Like, is it different between 61° and 63°, or would you just think to yourself "Low 60s" and dress accordingly?
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
9 months ago#2
In those cases, I'd probably just think "low 60s", but there is a phenomenon in the Pacific Northwest where as we emerge from late winter into early spring, as soon as highs start to peak over the 50s and into the mid 50s, a lot of people start putting shorts back on the table as an option.

I am one of those people.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
9 months ago#3
I am too

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
9 months ago#4
I think I rapidly adjust to the ambient temperature, and I base my shorts/jacket decisions on deviations from the recent (~5 days) late morning mean.

When we go from 30s to mid-40s in a day, that's a no-jacket kind of day. When we go from teens to 30s in a day, that's a no-jacket day. When we go from 90s to 60s--well that calls for a hoodie, doesn't it?
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
9 months ago#5
willis5225 posted...
I think I rapidly adjust to the ambient temperature, and I base my shorts/jacket decisions on deviations from the recent (~5 days) late morning mean.

When we go from 30s to mid-40s in a day, that's a no-jacket kind of day. When we go from teens to 30s in a day, that's a no-jacket day. When we go from 90s to 60s--well that calls for a hoodie, doesn't it?

Hear hear

Jacehan
9 months ago#6
Part of the reason I asked this was when talking about using Celsius vs Fahrenheit, and my friend said she needed the most fine-tuned accuracy of Fahrenheit for day-to-day, and I was like, "Uh, low 60s is low 60s, I don't need that level of precision."
Paper Mario Social:

willis5225
8 months ago#7
This is obviously complicated by my lack of intuitive familiarity with Celsius, but when I was in Canada, the only weather service I bothered with was doineedajacket.com since the actual ambient temperature was pretty meaningless to me.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

willis5225
8 months ago#8
But yeah, the difference between 0C and 5C was pretty significant, though I couldn't tell you how significant.
-Mimir

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
8 months ago#9
willis5225 posted...
But yeah, the difference between 0C and 5C was pretty significant, though I couldn't tell you how significant.

So I ran the numbers through Google and 0C is around 32F and 5C is about 41F and there's a linear(ish) (but not really) relationship from there going up by 5C each time, so I can see why it would make a bigger difference.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

Jacehan
8 months ago#10
Well, it is linear - ever 10°C is 18°F, or 5°C is 9°F. (Thus the conversion formula F = 1.8C + 32.)

When I'm in countries that use Celsius, I just follow this rhyme:

30 is hot
20 is nice
10 needs a jacket
0 is ice
Paper Mario Social:
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Do differences in temperature of a few degrees change your behavior/clothing?
  • Topic Archived