• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I recently listened to some Pansy Division for the first time.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
9 months ago#1
I was struck at how much I was affected by hearing songs sung by men about men. I mean, yeah, there's plenty of books and movies and TV shows with queer characters (although not enough, there can always be more), but popular music has way less than those other media types. (But that might just be because of the "popular" part of that phrase.) I dunno, it was a different experience.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: ShadowSpy

ShadowSpy
9 months ago#2
Yeah, this is why media representation is so important, and not just representation in one format, but in all of them. It's so nice to experience something that...I dunno...validates your existence?
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific."

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
9 months ago#3
I think it goes beyond "validates existence" and represents an important step into the acceptance and then normalization. What is "shocking and scandalous" becomes "edgy" and then "appreciated" and along down the way, normal. And that's what it should be.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
9 months ago#4
Katie is really into MIKA and I recommend them if you are looking for more of that sort of thing.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Jacehan
9 months ago#5
Oh, I love Mika, but his songs aren't so straightforward about it (forgive the pun), in the same way, beyond maybe Billy Brown and Good Guys.
Paper Mario Social:

Jacehan
8 months ago#6
I came across this article yesterday that gets at what I was saying: https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1472-breaking-the-last-taboo-in-queer-music-same-sex-pronouns-in-pop/

I didn't realize how many queer artists just used "you" a lot, so even something like using same-sex pronouns is a big deal. (Never mind singing about other specific topics.)
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
8 months ago#7
That's super weird.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I recently listened to some Pansy Division for the first time.
  • Topic Archived