I just went to the Amazon page for a book I was recommended...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I just went to the Amazon page for a book I was recommended...

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
5 months ago#1
... and the paperback was cheaper than the Kindle version. It's $9.99 for Kindle and $9.27 -- with free Prime delivery -- for the paperback. And the used options were even less; the cheapest one was $3 for the book plus $4 for shipping.

How long has it been the case that digital copies are more expensive than paper copies? I mean, on one level it makes perfect sense to me. I might want a digital copy more, because it's more portable and doesn't take up valuable space in my urban apartment. It just seems surprising in a way because digital copies do seem like *less thing* and are certainly cheaper to produce initially.

(If anyone's wondering, the book: https://smile.amazon.com/Natural-History-Dragons-Memoir-Memoirs/dp/0765375079/)

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
5 months ago#2
That's rather odd. Did you buy the used paperback?

User Info: DontInterruptMe

DontInterruptMe
4 months ago#3
Yeah, I got the cheapest one. I don't know what I'm going to do with it when I'm done with it. Probably try to give it away to a friend.

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
4 months ago#4
Kindle versions of books are often sold at a premium over hard copies of books. The reverse of this is true (usually) for textbooks, in my experience.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
4 months ago#5
I'm actually not allowed to talk much about it, but the basic thing is that Amazon buys physical books and then it can discount them to whatever degree it wants because it's a physical object that it has bought. But with digital books, they are kind of bound to the MSRP unless there's a specific arrangement made. I believe part of it goes back to the Apple books lawsuit.

Used books are their own beast. I don't understand that market at all (like I don't get why it's worth it for a used bookstore to mail me a book they're only charging me a dollar for. I get it when they charge $15 for shipping, but when they don't it doesn't make sense to me at all).
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
4 months ago#6
willis5225 posted...
I'm actually not allowed to talk much about it

By whom, Amazon's secret police?

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
4 months ago#7
Yes. People freak out on a level heretofore unknown about e-book discount schedules. I had to get vouched for just to see the simplified table, whatever that is.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I just went to the Amazon page for a book I was recommended...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived