• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Competitions
  3. September 2019: Thesaurus Troubles ($20 Gift Card Prize)

User Info: Ex-Kefiroth

Ex-Kefiroth
2 months ago#41
We all agree that #5 has to be Mario Kart, right? But which one would it be? They all have either numbers or subtitles. There's no game that's called just plain Mario Kart.
after years of waiting
nothing came

User Info: -hotdogturtle--

-hotdogturtle--
2 months ago#42
That's why I didn't guess a system for that one. I was hoping that it was somehow bait, but I couldn't figure out what else it could represent.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

User Info: FFTHEWINNER

FFTHEWINNER
2 months ago#43
I guessed it was the 64 one,as that one at least had a number instead of another word.
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png

User Info: EgHeadFool

EgHeadFool
2 months ago#44
Ex-Kefiroth posted...
We all agree that #5 has to be Mario Kart, right? But which one would it be? They all have either numbers or subtitles. There's no game that's called just plain Mario Kart.

Since no subtitle was specified, I just went with the first game in the franchise (even though technically it has a prefix, not a subtitle or number). IMO he should accept any system listed.

Let's see if we're discussing ones we're unsure of... other than what has already come up, I think I had a close call with #14. After much pondering I initially put down World of Warcraft but then toward the end I ended up changing it to World of Tanks because I think it fits better.

User Info: FFTHEWINNER

FFTHEWINNER
2 months ago#45
I put World of Tanks too in #14
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png

User Info: Ex-Kefiroth

Ex-Kefiroth
2 months ago#46
AssultTank always seems to like putting World of Warcraft somewhere in his guessing game contests, so that's what I went with for #14, and I think it fits well enough, with "Craft" being synonymous with Vessel.
after years of waiting
nothing came

EgHeadFool
2 months ago#47
They both work (there are other great stretches in the list), but I just felt mine more directly and immediately fit the bill. And it's not a weird obscure title, or I wouldn't have done it. Also because there's already another Blizzard game on the list lol.

Edit: You know, just in general I feel a lot of the games on the list could have multiple answers. Such is the nature of being intentionally vague for the purposes of guessing. Usually the "intended" game was obvious to me because as I've been saying, they tend to be major well-known titles. But this is an instance where that's not so clear, and there may be others. For example, both our guesses for #1 could be argued for (though again, I think mine is a much closer "translation"). Hell, I had Shining Force as a candidate for not only #1 but also #4 initially.

It would be cool if AssultTank sometimes honored guesses that were not what he was going for, but how does one make that call? There are dozens of games that would fit every entry if you play with a thesaurus enough. It's just they would mostly be mobile games nobody ever heard of.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Kelayr

Kelayr
2 months ago#48
I have even less confidence in my entry now that I've seen everyone's posted guesses, some of which are much better answers than what I ended up going with. Certainly didn't help that I was constantly wondering whether I was overthinking a couple of the trickier ones.

Assuming all the titles are accurate down to the presence or absence of symbols and words (also factoring in the hint of there only being one title with a different word count)...

I briefly considered Halo: Reach for #1, but ended up going with Star Reach due to the missing colon.

I had Mario Golf for #5 because, like some have already mentioned, there isn't any game that's just titled Mario Kart, and #6 and #17 have numbers in their titles so it also didn't seem that this would be the 64 one.
Liberate you, from your wild curiosity.

EgHeadFool
2 months ago#49
Kelayr posted...
I have even less confidence in my entry now that I've seen everyone's posted guesses, some of which are much better answers than what I ended up going with. Certainly didn't help that I was constantly wondering whether I was overthinking a couple of the trickier ones.

Assuming all the titles are accurate down to the presence or absence of symbols and words (also factoring in the hint of there only being one title with a different word count)...

I briefly considered Halo: Reach for #1, but ended up going with Star Reach due to the missing colon.

I had Mario Golf for #5 because, like some have already mentioned, there isn't any game that's just titled Mario Kart, and #6 and #17 have numbers in their titles so it also didn't seem that this would be the 64 one.

Unfortunately I'm not sure AssultTank took such close care in terms of formatting. Unless you're going to tell me #24 isn't Star Fox: Assault

User Info: Kelayr

Kelayr
2 months ago#50
EgHeadFool posted...
Unfortunately I'm not sure AssultTank took such close care in terms of formatting. Unless you're going to tell me #24 isn't Star Fox: Assault

Went with Star Fox Guard on that one - indeed, because of the formatting.
Liberate you, from your wild curiosity.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Competitions
  3. September 2019: Thesaurus Troubles ($20 Gift Card Prize)
  • Post New Message