You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. possible to change my username?

User Info: CrimZinShaDoW

CrimZinShaDoW
4 weeks ago#1
I realized I had my account for 14 years now, I am not a big fan of this name, I made it a long time ago. It would be a nice feature to let users change theirs.
PSN: ShaDoW-SlaYa

User Info: StrictNebula

StrictNebula
4 weeks ago#2
You can change it with this feedback form:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/feedback?type=44

User Info: PrettyBoyFloyd

PrettyBoyFloyd
3 weeks ago#3
Still not allowed spaces though.

They made me remove mine a few years ago.
The Evil Republicans - Est.2004 - WoT
[Government Destabilizing Branch]

User Info: Crash

Crash
3 weeks ago#4
PrettyBoyFloyd posted...
Still not allowed spaces though.

It's really stupid. They need to bring them back. One of the paid employees of the site literally has a space in his name. How unfair is that?
"Why aren't you voting?"
"Because my candidate's handshake had no character."

StrictNebula
2 weeks ago#5
@Crash

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/77696272

Devin Morgan posted...
1. Spaces in usernames will break various points in the code ... As for those of us who do have spaces in our names, there were technical exceptions made in the site's code to allow for it. Try tagging me for example: you'll see that an underscore is required, but my name is displayed with the space intact. Either way, we are not making this change.

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
2 weeks ago#6
Congrats on your 14 yr account. It's hard to believe mine will be turning 10 in a few months.
Our kitty has left to be with the Lord.
RIP Rascal, March 12, 2016. We miss you dearly...

User Info: nome from gnome

nome from gnome
2 weeks ago#7
PrettyBoyFloyd posted...

No...it was entirely optional

YOUR GAMEFAQS USERNAME - CHANGES AVAILABLE + MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
Hello nome from gnome, we're sending this PM to let you know about some recent changes we've made, and how they may affect you.

Over the last few months, GameFAQs has moved into its own dedicated user database (GameSpot and GameFAQs accounts are now entirely separate), reconicled tens of thousands of previously mismatched valid account names, and pruned millions of dead and unused accounts.

As you already know, your login username, "nome_from_gnome", doesn't match your message board username, "nome from gnome", and that's just fine. Because your board username is not a valid login name, our system can recognize this and redirect users to the proper profile on the site without any issues - so you can maintain your current message board account name as long as you keep your account active.

Because your usernames do not match, you are eligible to change your username at any time, giving yourself a single name to be used across the site. You may use the http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/feedback/index.php?type=44">Username Change feedback form, selecting option #3, to rename your account to any currently unused valid account name - including millions of previously used account names which have expired but are not yet eligible for registration.

Of course, you can also keep your current username as long as you are actively using it. Because your names don't match, we will only keep these names separate as long as your account is actively used. To ensure your board username does not revert to the login name, you will need to log in and visit GameFAQs at least once a month - otherwise, your account may be subject to an automatic rename when it becomes inactive.

Thank you for being a GameFAQs member, and for sticking with us for so long!

Sent by: **GameFAQs** on 4/10/2015 8:36:11 AM
https://i.imgur.com/1Kt6aui.jpg
As above, my username is Luigi and Tails (with spaces), but in my top bar it says Luigi_and_Tails.

Interestingly when I renamed another old account of mine, older than this one, I was able to pick a three-character username that I'm sure belonged to someone else over a decade ago.
I AM A GAMEFAQ USER AND THIS IS MY SIGNATEUR
I don't get why, if the coding for the "exceptions" is already in place, it can't be extended to newer accounts. Clearly the site still functions for accounts where the underscores are replaced by spaces.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

StrictNebula
1 week ago#10
@-hotdogturtle--

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/77696272

Devin Morgan posted...
As for those of us who do have spaces in our names, there were technical exceptions made in the site's code to allow for it.

This suggests that the exceptions were put in place manually by the admins, and only for those who do currently have spaces in their name; implying that the exceptions can't be extended to newer accounts easily.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. possible to change my username?