• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. "Archiving posts" makes GameFAQs worthless and full of misinformation

User Info: urbanform

urbanform
2 years ago#1
I like video games.

Sometimes video games are difficult, have unanswered questions, lack a guide, or just need discussion.

When in doubt, I go to google.com and search for what I need.

Usually this pulls up discussion boards on GameFAQs (or discussions from Reddit).

I realized that, most of the time, I can find that numerous people have asked the same question I did in GameFAQs.

I also realized that, most of the time, the comments are completely incorrect, outdated, or lack sufficient information. And these posts need further discussion.

Today I made a gameFAQs account so I can start providing correct information when I see this happening, so I can contribute and help thousands of people who will search for the same thing I did.

...Only to realize that posts get "archived" permanently after some time of inactivity. Which is now taking up space in Google's Search engine indefinitely and leading thousands of people with the same questions to the same incorrect information FOR AS LONG AS THE INTERNET SHALL EXIST.

Way to go, GameFAQs.

User Info: KeyBlade999

KeyBlade999
2 years ago#2
And? Flaws come with every system; the majority of the time I've actually had success in using the boards.

That said, you don't seem to be requesting help with anything so ... Not much else to say other than you're lodging your complaint in the wrong location.
''I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.'' - Mewtwo

User Info: Notti

Notti
2 years ago#3
The only real fix might be some sort of Pointer feature, where you could make a new topic, and the old archived topic might include a pointer to the new topic in some sort of "more replies" section.

The super annoying problem I have with Google search and GameFAQs is google wants to send me to one page, but my settings send me to another page, because my messages per page are different from the default. Might be nice if the URL page argument might be based on post number.

I'll think about it, and perhaps make a suggestion topic on it.

... Maybe change ?page=2 to instead be ?post=11
News: http://DemocraticUnderground.com/?com=latest_threads
Latest Trump garbage: http://reddit.com/r/EnoughTrumpSpam/new http://reddit.com/r/Impeach_Trump/new

urbanform
2 years ago#4
Notti posted...
The only real fix might be some sort of Pointer feature, where you could make a new topic, and the old archived topic might include a pointer to the new topic in some sort of "more replies" section.

The super annoying problem I have with Google search and GameFAQs is google wants to send me to one page, but my settings send me to another page, because my messages per page are different from the default. Might be nice if the URL page argument might be based on post number.

I'll think about it, and perhaps make a suggestion topic on it.

... Maybe change ?page=2 to instead be ?post=11

Good thought there. I like your suggestion on having a URLPointer to redirect to topics that are related or newer. It may also be helpful to have a longer period before a topic is archived. The game I'm playing was released 6 weeks ago. Too soon to have closure on topics being asked. Now the same questions are being asked repeatedly with incorrect answers on new discussions. It's a mess. How can we help each other on a brand new game with discussion boards that expire almost immediately? Crazy.

As of right now, I'm adding "-gamefaqs" to my google searches.

urbanform
2 years ago#5
KeyBlade999 posted...
And? Flaws come with every system; the majority of the time I've actually had success in using the boards.

That said, you don't seem to be requesting help with anything so ... Not much else to say other than you're lodging your complaint in the wrong location.

KeyBlade999. I apologize. I put this into the wrong location. I thought I was under site suggestions when I clicked to make a new post, but now I realized that I was browsing message board help.

Criticism is hard to take when so much work goes into a website, such as GameFaqs. And of course flaws come with every system. I feel that this is a very major flaw.

IMO, having discussions expire on a game that just came out 5 weeks ago seems a bit insane. If it's even necessary to expire discussions at all, the topics need to be open for replies for numerous months if not a year after a game is released. And I'm having zero luck getting any accurate information from GameFaqs boards which is highly due to the inability for other people to contribute to existing topics on a brand new game. It's further frustrating that these will now be listed at the top of google searches for a very long time. Spending hours of time in a game doing what others have suggested is frustrating. Of course I would want to add to that topic and help hundreds or thousands of people from making the same mistakes I did following bad advice. But I can't. Nobody can.

With that being said, your guides are phenomenal, and I've used them countless times. Thank you.

User Info: BlacknGold86

BlacknGold86
2 years ago#6
urbanform posted...
The game I'm playing was released 6 weeks ago. Too soon to have closure on topics being asked. Now the same questions are being asked repeatedly with incorrect answers on new discussions. It's a mess. How can we help each other on a brand new game with discussion boards that expire almost immediately? Crazy.

I wouldn't say "almost immediately", but I understand and agree. I went through it not long ago with The Last Guardian.

Another problem imo is I (and countless others I'd wager) play a ton of games thats boards are dead. Not even old games, I'm talking 2 years or less. I'd love to discuss Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, Geometry Wars, and countless others, but it's hard when my topics archive before they're even seen. 2 weeks is a long time, but sometimes it really isn't. There's always NGG, but that place is a pit.

That's not even taking into consideration how many 1 post topics I see archived where I'd like to comment or answer.

I know it's never going to happen, and it'd probably my be a tremendous strain on the server's, but removing the archive function (even for non-social boards), or even extending it by a couple weeks/months/whatever would increase my already sizable love for this site exponentially. Hell, I'd be happy if topics didn't archive if there's no 2nd post.

I dunno, maybe it's just us :/
PSN/Twitch- Lord_Wombat Currently streaming: Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth and Bioshock (PS4)
500! My community board: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1322-500

User Info: Slayer

Slayer
2 years ago#7
Welcome to 1999
  1. Boards
  2. Message Board Help
  3. "Archiving posts" makes GameFAQs worthless and full of misinformation
  • Topic Archived