• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenogears
  3. Do you play the modern Xeno games?

User Info: Valkyreo

Valkyreo
1 month ago#1
And how do you feel about them? And what would you like Monolith to do in future?

User Info: Bokothechoco2

Bokothechoco2
1 month ago#2
I played the first Xenoblade, and it pretty good. I wouldn't give it any huge praise or anything like that, but it was a good game and I enjoyed it. I also tried playing Xenosaga last year but it was pretty boring to me and I ended up dropping it less than halfway into the first game. I didn't really like the FMV storytelling and being shuffled around from place to place. The overwhelming number of spaceships and space stations and space ports was getting kind of stale too. I might try it again down the road though if I ever feel like it.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Valkyreo

Valkyreo
1 month ago#3
Bokothechoco2 posted...
I played the first Xenoblade, and it pretty good. I wouldn't give it any huge praise or anything like that, but it was a good game and I enjoyed it. I also tried playing Xenosaga last year but it was pretty boring to me and I ended up dropping it less than halfway into the first game. I didn't really like the FMV storytelling and being shuffled around from place to place. The overwhelming number of spaceships and space stations and space ports was getting kind of stale too. I might try it again down the road though if I ever feel like it.

I wouldnt call Xenosaga a modern Xeno game but still thanka for the input.

Btw i love Xenosaga.

User Info: BetaSquadron

BetaSquadron
1 month ago#4
I'm trying to get through the first Xenoblade. But it hasn't hooked me, so I've only played it sporadically.

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
1 month ago#5
Xenosaga Episode 1 is good, but certainly not great, and I understand why people could get bored with it.

Xenosaga Episode 2 has its moments, but it's still disappointing along most dimensions.

Xenosaga Episode 3 is phenomenal and probably the most consistently enjoyable game they've made. I wouldn't say it's as good as Xenogears overall, but I was surprised at how close it actually came.

Xenoblade Chronicles was okay. Too much low-effort filler, the story and characters are a letdown, combat revolves around uninspiring cooldown mechanics, and simply having a big world isn't enough of a hook.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is every negative stereotype of the "offline MMO" genre wrapped into one and turned up to 11. It's the worst open world game I've ever played, and I've played Two Worlds. It's terrible and I find it kind of irritating that so many people are not only willing to look past, but to actually even praise such a dumb, shallow, low-effort game; in fact, I became more pessimistic about the future of gaming after seeing people gladly accept such a piece of s***. We can't expect to get good games like Xenogears or Xenosaga Ep 3 when low effort gruel like Xenoblade Chronicles X are successful.

Haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet, and I'm not sure I want to.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Moranite

Moranite
1 month ago#6
While I have a feeling TC mainly wanted to ask about the Blade game I guess I'll talk about Xenosaga as well.

I love Xenosaga Episode 1. It could get a bit boring at times, but I was overall very happy with it and couldn't wait to have the rest.

Xenosaga 2 I wanted to like but a lot of it really didn't work for me. I never did finish the game and wound up watching someone else beat it.

I'm still working through Xenosaga 3 but I've really been enjoying it. I'm probably going to be sad when it's over because it's been so good, and I know that once I've beaten it, that'll be the end of the series.

I have a soft spot for Xenoblade Chronicles 1 but I feel like you kinda had to be there to understand the great hype this specific game enjoyed, especially in the western world. Xenoblade Chronicles came out at a time when many JRPG players were finding themselves disappointed with recent offers on at the time modern consoles, and especially on the Wii, there weren't a ton of really good ones to sink our teeth into. Xenoblade came out, filling that void, making much of the competition look weak in the process. I'd say JRPGs are doing a little bit better now, and so Xenoblade 1 doesn't seem as impressive anymore, but when it first got released in English? I was so happy to have a JRPG I enjoyed that much again.

I am ashamed to say that I dropped Xenoblade X. While I think the above poster is a bit harsh on it I do feel like there was a certain something X was missing that left it feeling incomplete. I never even got far enough to get my Skell. Maybe that was too soon for me to stop and the game would have been more fun after that? I dunno, though. What I played of it did not give me a good impression.

I don't know how to feel about Xenoblade 2. I wasn't liking the new character designs, the story didn't quite grab me, I didn't really like any of the characters (well, except Nia, I guess) and I felt the combat was too complicated for its own good. I was going to give up on it, but a friend, someone from the Xenogears era like me, encouraged me to keep going. I continued to play some more, and eventually the battle system finally clicked with me, and I was having a fun time. Even better, the characters I didn't care for at first started to grow on me, and the story finally seemed to be going somewhere exciting. For better or worse, however, as this was happening, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim was on its way and I couldn't help but switch my focus to that when I got it in the mail (I'm enjoying it btw but that's outside the scope of this topic). Basically I started out disappointed by Xenoblade 2 but was slowly warming up to it before I got distracted. Maybe I'll get back to it sooner or later.

As for Monolith's future, if they keep making Xenoblade that's fine by me but I kind of want to see something more similar to Baten Kaitos again some day. Xenoblade 2's setting does kind of give off BK vibes but the gameplay is completely different and Baten Kaitos had some fascinating locations that I really liked. Not to say Xenoblade slacks off in that department, but I'm not expecting to see a place like this one in Xenoblade (ironically named Mira, like that planet in Xenoblade X lol) https://batenkaitos.fandom.com/wiki/Mira

I know an actual new Baten Kaitos is unlikely now, but I hope Monolith Soft can recapture some of the magic that allowed it to happen.
https://i.imgur.com/Hln2QLq.png | https://i.imgur.com/2uBUAJR.png
"Harman... the world won't change. All it does is turn."

User Info: Shotgunnova

Shotgunnova
1 month ago#7
I've played the first Xenosaga one -- it was alright.
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame

User Info: No_Mega

No_Mega
1 month ago#8
I played the first Xenoblade game. In fact, I ended up modding a wii, ripping the game through it, and then playing it through an emulator on my PC--such was was desire then to play another Xeno game. The game looked great and controlled smoothly...but I didn't end up liking it. The story and characters felt relentlessly immature, unambitious, and cliche-ridden. The cool setting never lived up to its promise. The gameplay and moment-to-moment exploration were great at first, but felt like a chore later on. I think I got all the way up to the last area but gave up. I'd had enough.

As for the Xenosaga games (not exactly modern, I know), I basically agree with DiviDude and Moranite's assessments. The series is uneven, but I still remember its distinct identity years later: the sci-fi setting, themes, and aesthetics are still memorable in ways so many other RPGs aren't. I'd say it's worth a look for fans of Xenogears.

Xenosaga I's worldbuilding and atmosphere were strong, though I found the pacing and gameplay slowed things down. It didn't quite pull it off at the end.

Xenosaga II was disappointing all around--honestly, you can skip the game and not feel like you're missing out.

Xenosaga III solved the pacing issues of the first two games and was a lot of fun--I can't hold it against the game if it doesn't manage to top Xenogears.

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
1 month ago#9
Saga:
1 had best story, 3 had best gameplay, 2 was the worst for both.

Blade:
Loved everything about chronicles except for the spam of fetch sidequests.
Didnt play X
Havnt finished chronicles 2, but it seemed a lot more going into waifu factory territory, plus it still has the fetch quest spam issue from the first. Also im really not liking the mc which makes it hard to play the game.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Xenogears
  3. Do you play the modern Xeno games?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A