• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenogears
  3. The first time I've ever gone through babel tower

User Info: Bizarre_one

Bizarre_one
8 years ago#1
and not missed a single jump. Im so proud of myself. This is my 4th playthrough and its not that i've found it particularly difficult in my previous playthroughs (actually its one of my favorite dungeons) but I perfected it this time around. Yay me!
Every man dies. Not every man really lives.

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
8 years ago#2
I never understood the hate for the tower. It's basic platforming, and the game even has a rotatable camera. Just line up where you want to go, make sure a battle isn't loading, and jump.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: No_Mega

No_Mega
8 years ago#3
I generally have gotten through with little, if any problem, but I can easily identify some problems with the platforming. Here's some of the flaws:

-A high penalty for failure. Missing a jump often means starting all over again from the very bottom, erasing minutes, not seconds, of progress.

-Enemy encounters. This compounds the penalty for missing a jump and adds to frustration. Also, the way random encounters work, you'll be unable to jump in the brief period when you hear your disc whir and when the battle actually starts, potentially leading you to fall down all over again.

-The camera/depth perception. The camera mostly works, but there are places in both areas where it's difficult to judge the angle right. The second area in particular I recall the camera being a little too flat, making it tough to gauge where I wanted to jump.

Again, in my subsequent playthroughs, I generally find the Tower to be pretty stress-free, since I know what I'm doing and have learned how to make the jumps and how to end any encounter quickly. Still, the platforming could definitely use improvement.

Oh, another thing to consider, in defense of the Tower, is how great the visuals and music are in that section. I seriously love the sense of scale provided by the tower, and the bgm is one of my favorite tunes in the game. I think that's a significant reason why I don't remember being frustrated the first time I played the game, where I admittedly missed plenty of jumps before I made it through.

User Info: KOTRsss

KOTRsss
8 years ago#4
IMO the biggest problems are the opening area where the mechanical arm falls down as soon as you land on it, and unless you know it's happening, you're screwed and have to start over. Also, if you want the treasure on top of the tube after the jump from the mechanical arm, you have to do some trial and error, which is bound to make you fall once or twice.

The rest of the tower isnt so bad, EXCEPT that when you're trying to jump to those enemies that serve as platforms, the camera is very restrictive, and it makes it fairly easy to misjudge.
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."

User Info: donkeyjack

donkeyjack
8 years ago#5
Babel Tower has an hot dungeon, and I agree with, KOTRsss about the damn traffic jams.
It's a fact that Xenogears is the G.O.A.T. JRPG of my generation, as well.

Bizarre_one
8 years ago#6
Oh, another thing to consider, in defense of the Tower, is how great the visuals and music are in that section. I seriously love the sense of scale provided by the tower, and the bgm is one of my favorite tunes in the game

Yes, The Omen has my vote for the best musical track in the game and possibly any game. Its probably part of the reason that I never minded spending so much time in Babel tower. But now I have that track on my ipod and there's no need to dwell there any longer than necessary :)

User Info: AlmasNo1Fan

AlmasNo1Fan
8 years ago#7
T_T no getting that stupid treasure chest is the hardest part where you have to land perfectly is the worst.
Official Alma Beoulve of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy Boards

User Info: provett

provett
8 years ago#8
I just remember that stupid ass swing... that was my only real problem.
Best Buy sucks so bad, I have to Sig it!
The customer service were stupid & they lied. Don't Buy from Best Buy

User Info: phiefer3

phiefer3
8 years ago#9

T_T no getting that stupid treasure chest is the hardest part where you have to land perfectly is the worst.

...which treasure chest requires you to land perfectly?

The only one I can think of really is the one with the mechanical arm, but that doesn't require any degree of perfection. As long as you jump as it goes down it'll always swing you all the way back up, as long as you're patient and don't panic you have all the time in the world to 'line up' the jump, which really isn't all that difficult in the first place. Be near the end of the arm (for height) and jump onto the platform, it's technically easier to get up there with the chest than it is to get to the ledge on the side of it.

Sure babel can be a little frustrating the first time, but that's basically true of any platforming dungeon/level in any game, the first time you're always going to be learning where to go, where to jump, what the tricky spots are, etc. Aside from the issue with being unable to jump as a battle loads (which is admittedly annoying) the closest thing to a legitimate complaint I've seen about babel was from someone who had played the entire game without knowing that holding down the 'run' button when you jump let you move faster/further through the air and was having issues with simply not being able to get as far when jumping (though surprisingly the person did manage to make it nearly all the way through babel through sheer persistence).
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/25/ninja.jpg
phiefer3-I must be a glutton for punishment, but I'm going to attempt to edumacate the Veghbot

Bizarre_one
8 years ago#10
^obviously that person didn't pay attention since you're told about that on the way to doc's house in the very begining. Anyone who complains about platforming elements in this game is probably too young to have owned an NES. So many game overs that shouldn't have been
  1. Boards
  2. Xenogears
  3. The first time I've ever gone through babel tower
  • Topic Archived