• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. Most Memorable Moments

User Info: Radamanthys

Radamanthys
2 years ago#1
Hey guys,

I was wondering what some of the most memorable moments were for you in Tomb Raider I.

For me:

Temple of Tihocan -

This one I put first because it's when you realize that you aren't just fighting animals and humans in this game. You are fighting some creatures that you can't really identify or have any reference for. Have you ever seen an Atlantean creature in any game ever? The first time you see them it's shocking because you are left wondering stuff like.. what the heck is going on in this storyline? What are these things? And if you were a child when you first played this level you were probably pretty creeped out.

Atlantis

Okay... this one has to be on the list. I mean, the whole level is really creepy and it looks like it takes place inside of a creature. The walls seem to have veins in them that pump blood and move. At least as a kid that's what it looked like to me. I actually prefer the graphics in this level over the remake. I think the remake is too realistic and doesn't let you use your imagination as much and some of the creepiness from this original level is lost as a result (anyone agree?). Also the fact that these Atlanteans are inside eggs at the beginning of the level is creepy and cool at the same time. Probably the most memorable level overall (and the hardest right?), but I still leave Tomb of Tihocan first because that was the first time you see these weird creatures. Also, lets not forget the clone of Lara that you have to outsmart to beat. That was another memorable part of the game.

Cistern

Maybe its just me, but I think this is a really unique level. As a kid I always hated it because I always got lost with the silver keys. Now as an adult I find it extremely easy and really fun. I also like that they sprinkle Pierre into various parts of the level to keep you on your feet. I think this is also the first time that I was forced to face a crocodile up close. In the Palace of Midas you can sort of shoot them from outside the water but here I think you are forced to be real close to them and you have to run and seek higher ground. Also it was a unique idea to allow you to flood and unflood the level as many times as you want. It reminds me of something from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Its actually a really cool looking level too.

Lost Valley

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time you see dinosaurs in the series. I mean, do I need to say anything else? This was a fun level because of the shock of seeing dinosaurs. Also the giant t-rex of course. It was fun just trying to figure out how to kill it without getting hurt and not knowing if you could even kill it with your measly weapons. You have to shoot that t-rex for so long that you really wonder if it can be killed with just your weapons.

St. Francis Folly

For a long time this was my favorite level. It's very unique with how you must open up each temple door and solve a puzzle in each level. And they are all very different rooms -- from giant swords falling on you, electric shocks, giant hammers, and fire traps. It's a memorable one for sure, and then you make it all the way to the bottom to be attacked by lions and Pierre.

Natlas Mines

This level is memorable because it's the first time you are left without your weapons. It's a scary feeling going around these mines not knowing if you'll be attacked by something and have no means to defend yourself. Also, let's not forget the various boss fights you have in this level, such as the cowboy, the guy in the skateboard, and the bald guy.

The Great Pyramid

This is memorable because of the two boss fights. First the one against that giant monster right off the bat. And that thing takes what feels like 500 shots to kill. Also Natla.

- Radamanthys
- Radamanthys

User Info: Shotgunnova

Shotgunnova
2 years ago#2
Everything about St. Francis' Folly, from the opening attack, to the massive shaft everyone falls down, to Damacles' room, to that secret door at the bottom. It's one of the most memorable levels in the entire series.
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame

Radamanthys
2 years ago#3
Shotgunnova posted...
Everything about St. Francis' Folly, from the opening attack, to the massive shaft everyone falls down, to Damacles' room, to that secret door at the bottom. It's one of the most memorable levels in the entire series.

Agreed. And it looks like this is a lot of people's most memorable too. It's extremely unique and original. Parts are scary because of their magnitude, like the giant room with the hammer of Thor. The first time you accidentally fall all the way to the bottom it makes you wonder just how high up you are. And it's able to keep you intrigued and on your feet the whole time. Not a dull moment.

- Radamanthys
- Radamanthys

User Info: SpiralDrift

SpiralDrift
2 years ago#4
I agree with most of what you listed, TC.

The Cistern stands out to me though as the most memorable, and I'm not even sure why. There was just something about the presentation of it, walking into a huge room, seeing the general shape of the whole level and knowing that you're gonna have to find your way to all of the visible platforms but not being able to reach them straight away. Most games do this at some point but not in a way that makes you genuinely curious like that one did for me.

Also Palace Midas since I think I spent the most time in that level trying to find all the secrets. Almost 20 years later I still haven't forgotten the sheer joy I felt when I finally found that last hidden switch in the sundial room behind the bush. I searched that level for weeks before I finally found it.
Do unto others what your parents did to you.

Radamanthys
2 years ago#5
SpiralDrift posted...
I agree with most of what you listed, TC.

The Cistern stands out to me though as the most memorable, and I'm not even sure why. There was just something about the presentation of it, walking into a huge room, seeing the general shape of the whole level and knowing that you're gonna have to find your way to all of the visible platforms but not being able to reach them straight away. Most games do this at some point but not in a way that makes you genuinely curious like that one did for me.

Also Palace Midas since I think I spent the most time in that level trying to find all the secrets. Almost 20 years later I still haven't forgotten the sheer joy I felt when I finally found that last hidden switch in the sundial room behind the bush. I searched that level for weeks before I finally found it.

The cistern will always stand out to me too. I used to hate that level as a kid because I was scared of the crocodiles and I was genuinely lost. Now its one of the easiest and most enjoyable levels. I agree with what you said about feeling something when you walk into the huge room and realizing you'll have to explore the whole thing. The level just looks majestic right as you enter the Cistern. And that last door you have to enter (with the gold key) is presented in a way that it makes you feel it is important because of its position, and the look and the height of its location.

I also have to agree when you said that there is something about walking in and seeing the "general shape of the whole level and knowing that you're gonna have to find your way to all of the visible platforms but not being able to reach them straight away". That's something really cool that I have only experienced in Tomb Raider games.

As for Palace Midas, that is definitely a special level too. I didn't put it on my list, but standing on Midas' hand and turning into gold is still really creepy to this day. I have seen what they did with this level in the remake, and its good and everything, but the original has an atmosphere that is not recreated in any of the new games. Its just a special atmosphere that has suspense and lets your imagination run wild. The fact that the graphics aren't like something out of a Pixar movie actually makes the game more intriguing. And for those of you who understand what I mean, these original games will always be special regardless of any remakes (and this is not to say those remakes are bad).
- Radamanthys
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. Most Memorable Moments
  • Topic Archived