• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. Finally beat Tomb Raider on the psx for the first time (thoughts)

User Info: Boliver77

Boliver77
3 years ago#1
(Obligatory Spoilers I guess, but if you don't want to know anything about the levels in this 20 year old game then you probably shouldn't read the rest of this)

So I just beat Tomb Raider 1. I have never played through the first 6 Tomb Raider games. I did play starting with Legends and then through Anniversary/Underworld. I then played the reboots after that. It put me into the mood to play through the originals. I remember my cousin owning the original Tomb Raider. I was in awe when I watched him play. It seemed like just the Peru section itself was the entire game. Of course I was a child and didn't know any better.

These are just some thoughts on the levels and some frustrating moments. There were a few times I had to look up something when I got stuck but it was rare.

Peru
Obviously the easiest section. I didn't have much trouble with this aside from a few parts.

In the Lost City for some reason I had a little trouble with that Jump across the gap in the wooden bridge where you fight the T-REX. I don't know what it is about those really long jumps that give me trouble but I always either jump too early or just walk off the ledge. Luckily at this point the drop doesn't kill you unless you’re really low health. I don't think I had much trouble finding the gears.

In the Tomb of Qualopec, really the only trouble I had was the little section where the floor falls out into spikes after moving the block. I was still new to how Laura handles and I thought I couldn't jump across it because the ceiling was in the way. Probably died like 4 times there. It was a week or two ago so I cant remember much else.

Greece
St. Francis Folly was really the first level that really started to piss me off. The funny part is that it wasn't the side rooms where you get the keys that was pissing me off. It was the middle section with all the falling deaths I had to deal with. I was still getting used to timing jumps with Lara and when to push the jump button vs. the forward button so I died a lot accidentally missing jumps or simply falling in that middle section. I didn't have too much trouble with the 4 side rooms.

Didn't have much trouble with the Coliseum and Palace of Midas, although one part of the stage (where you had to do a lot of crazy jumps and shimming across the entirety of the stage just to get to the roof with the iron bar) made my palms sweaty.

The Cistern was the first area where I had to look up a guide. I didn't necessarily need a whole guide, it was just one particular section where you get the Gold Key and I didn't realize you had to flood the place to get it. I would drop down by the spikes and pick it up only to be permanently stuck in there. I thought a door was supposed to open. Looked up what I was missing because I thought it was a glitch. Didn't even know the lever to rise the water was in one of the water areas. After seeing there was a lever I closed the guide out and finished the rest of the level on my own.

Tomb of Tihocan was not too bad. I was getting a little annoyed at the clamping traps since I wasn't timing them right but eventually nailed it down.

<continued>

Boliver77
3 years ago#2
Egypt

The City of Khamoon's layout was really freaking weird. Oddly created and kind of a mess. For some reason I had trouble figuring out where to go in the first main area with the sphinx. I finally saw the little gap behind the sphinx head that had the key. Was close to looking at a guide but luckily didn't need to. Didn't have too much trouble after that, aside from getting killed a couple of times from misplaced jumps.

The Obelisk of Khamoon wasn't too bad, however it was the second time in the game I had to look up a guide. I found all of the levers for the required artifact items in the middle except for the one where you need to push the block from the first room to jump into the room with the mutant. I went in there and looked at all the walls and still somehow missed it and left confused. Then looked at the guide and found that it was in that room I was just in. Something about the lighting and textures in there caused me to look over it.

The Sanctuary of Scion was one of the cooler levels in the game. Really the only trouble I ran into was the room that has the key in the water under the bridge. I grabbed the key and jumped to the bridge completely missing the hole on the wall across from the door on the other side of the bridge. Just like last level, another one of those things you miss due to odd lighting and textures. Ended up back tracking all the way to the main area, get more confused, then went back up to that area. Luckily didn’t need a guide since I finally saw what I missed in the wall which made me roll my eyes having wasted time back tracking.

Atlantis

The mines weren’t too bad. 2 of the 3 fuse plugs were easy to find. The one where I had issues was the one where the boulder rolls and blocks the section to the fuse. I thought that was just a timed secret and didn’t realize you had to come back to that section to try again. Since I didn’t get anything through that section the first time there I decided to go back to see what I missed only to find out I had to beat the boulder in a race. After getting the pistols I had some trouble finding where to go after killing the cowboy but managed to swing the camera around at the right time to see the save point below the cliff.

Atlantis was certainly the most challenging level in the game to me and the third and final time I had to look up a guide which was at the beginning of the freaking level after killing all those mutants. Remember when I talked about having trouble jumping the bridge in the Lost City? Well this is that part 2, except with freaking lava below. It’s the section where there is a mutant pod below and you have to drop in a hole to pull a lever to open the door on the other side of the jump. I swear I did like 10 times on that jump. The reason I looked up a guide on that part was because I was convinced it was not possible to jump that only to figure out it was and I had to get through it. What made it worse was the fact there was no Save point up to that section so if you missed the jump, you restart the whole level. Finally did it and felt sooo good. I was able to breeze most of the next sections if I can remember with just a few deaths.

The Great Pyramid didn’t give me too much trouble. The rolling boulders got a little annoying. Natla killed me a few times but she doesn’t take too much Uzi shots to kill her.

All-in-All I'm glad I finally beat the first Tomb Raider. I'm surprised that I didn’t find as many secrets as I thought I would. I probably only found an average of one secret per level but I'm not bothered that much by it. Just made the game more of a challenge with less items.

The Egypt and Greece sections tie for being my favorite areas but Obelisk of Khamoon and Sanctuary of Scion probably take the cake for being my favorite areas. Now onto Tomb Raider II!

User Info: KendoRe2

KendoRe2
3 years ago#3
Tomb Raider is notorious for making you be precise with your timing and jumps. Tomb Raider II has a heck of a 1st level. It's tough!!
They have escaped into the mansion, where they thought it was safe. Yet...

Boliver77
3 years ago#4
KendoRe2 posted...
Tomb Raider is notorious for making you be precise with your timing and jumps. Tomb Raider II has a heck of a 1st level. It's tough!!

Yeah I think Tomb Raider II kind of throws you in the fray much quicker then 1 did. I also think the Venice level (with being only the second level in the game) was pretty difficult with what you had to do. There were a lot of keys and levers to mess with and the whole level was pretty convoluted. I'm glad I got it over with though last night.

Is it just me or is some of the water sections in Venice almost completely black to where I cant see anything. I know that's the point of the flares but I don't remember the PC version being this dark
I'm playing the PSN download on the PS3.

User Info: KendoRe2

KendoRe2
3 years ago#5
I was gonna get the Gold versions of the classic games on pc but it seems they may not run on newer pcs. My oldest pc has with Windows xp but it supposedly won't even work on that. Bummer, I wanted to play the bonus levels.
They have escaped into the mansion, where they thought it was safe. Yet...

User Info: KFHEWUI

KFHEWUI
3 years ago#6
KendoRe2 posted...
I was gonna get the Gold versions of the classic games on pc but it seems they may not run on newer pcs. My oldest pc has with Windows xp but it supposedly won't even work on that. Bummer, I wanted to play the bonus levels.

I am playing through it now using dosbox on a computer with XP, and the only issue I encountered so far is that the music and in game dialogue does not work. Although the cut scenes with music and dialogue work just fine.
R.I.P. SaikyoMog! http://www.ryanfh.com/obituary?id=1483070
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-seAIeu3Og
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. Finally beat Tomb Raider on the psx for the first time (thoughts)
  • Topic Archived