• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy
  3. SKATE and SKATE 2 (Thrasher-esque)

User Info: replicant

replicant
12 years ago#1
Some of the old timers might remember me from the Z-Axis Ltd days with Thrasher and Dave Mirra boards. I still play Thrasher almost everyday and find it to be the most realistic skating game produced for a console. It still has it's moments of silliness with grind chains, but well, it's a game.

Now awhile back I played the SKATE Demo on the PS3 and was intrigued by it. However, due to bills I never got around to picking up a PS3 or Xbox 360. I had some extra money come in this christmas and decided to pick up an Xbox 360 and the SKATE game.

Upon sitting down with the game I had that old familiar feeling like the first time I played Thrasher. Granted it is a whole different game and playstyle, but I feel connected to the moves and such almost as if I was actually outside skating. It's nice to see a unique take on the execution of the moves and working out the lines in a grand environment. Sounds are spot on and the world feels alive. It's awkward at first, but I am starting to get the hang of it.

With the learning curve, Thrasher Mag usage, focus on real skating and session lines, character progression, etc... I feel it's a nice evolution of sorts in what Thrasher gave us.

I also took a look at SKATE 2 which is coming out on 1/22/2009 and it's an even bigger undertaking with a larger move set and a more interactive world. I loved how in one of the vids the skater jumps off his board, runs over to a picnic table, drags it out of the grass onto a cement area, and begins to trick on it. That is definitely a step in the right direction.

Neither one of these games is Thrasher 2, but they are solid additions to the world we want to play in. We also have the upcoming Tony Hawk's Adrenaline that *MIGHT* offer us something new, but the gimmicky peripheral has me not as interested and I've not been a THPS fan since THPS2 which was the best imo of the series(Will give props to THUG 1 though).
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"

User Info: alaskanpeas

alaskanpeas
12 years ago#2

i read your article and agree sir. this is the best skateboarding game ever made, i wish they would do another for the 360. and keep real physics in mind. even in skate you ollie way too high and the combos do get way out of control. also manualing forever in absurd.

User Info: replicant

replicant
12 years ago#3
Yeah, I did notice you could do a faux tic-tac while in a manual to increase speed which is odd in SKATE. As for the Ollie height I think they have some inconsistency in the game. I don't find it too bothersome, but it does seem to get out of hand sometimes. I've started playing SKATE a lot and I've went ahead and pre-ordered SKATE 2. Hopefully, it will address these issues (Not holding my breath, since I've worked in the industry and know the demands placed on dev teams), but only time will tell. The game is definitely working it's way up my all-time favorite games list pretty quickly.

I do wish it would adopt one thing from the THPS series and that is the "Sloppy/Sketchy/Perfect" tagging of moves. I don't play for massive combo chains or treating it like a platformer game. I play to recreate realistic lines and flowing moves. Those little tags would help tremendously when I am working on coming out of a series as smooth as possible.
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"

User Info: alaskanpeas

alaskanpeas
12 years ago#4
exactly, i play basically for recreational perposes, i dont go for big combos ever. i just like to do a nice line and then watch it in the replays. they should have that ranking of how the trick is landed especially for playing s.k.a.t.e(h.o.r.s.e) so that it would eliminate alot of these whacky combos and people can go for more of a perfection in stead of numbers.

User Info: Landonio

Landonio
12 years ago#5
I loved this game.
All you gotta do is look up in dat tree.
  1. Boards
  2. Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy
  3. SKATE and SKATE 2 (Thrasher-esque)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A