• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tactics Ogre
  3. Is there any way to make this game fun?

User Info: KingJames304

KingJames304
4 weeks ago#1
It starts off fun but as your team grows the levels of your characters get really uneven. And in this game it seems like if your levels aren't the same or higher than the enemies you are pretty much doomed. So the only option is to waste a bunch of time training all your people.
Is that really the best that can be done? I don't mind training sometimes but this seems excessive and boring.
Would it be better to only keep a team of 10-15 people and only focus on them? Or should I keep training a whole army all the time?
I'm not interested in game breaking secrets or anything I just want to cut out the tedium.
If such a thing is possible.
Mission complete!

User Info: direshall

direshall
2 weeks ago#2
The first half of the game is very hard since you haven't unlocked a lot of good magic. Avoid contact battle, always head to the high ground, don't hesitate to wait the enemy to come if you're in a good position. Focus on 10 characters with at least 3 archers. Don't ever let Canopus die he's very strong and helpful (give him a light bow). Have 2 healers (Preasance and another one). Use Preasance to eradicate undead enemies (they must not be KO). A witch for status attack such as stun (train her as an archer then change her as a witch when you need her since success rate of status attack is based on dexterity, don't equip her with any armor or anything heavy it's useless for her, the best witch is a fast witch). Make a wizard for zone attack (Byan is good if you manage to save him but it's very hard to do). Everyone must be equiped with a cure just in case. Once you saved Haborym (use a fast witch with healrain and someone to recharche her MP) the game becomes a lot easier since he's very strong with Petrify or Stun. On chapter 3 get as much orbs as you can in random battle in the swamp to give at least 2 to all your active characters. Don't use them keep them in their inventory, they make your characters much faster.

KingJames304
2 weeks ago#3
Ah some good tips. I'm on Chapter 3 right now. Let's see:
I have 20 some characters. Maybe I should fire half of them? But it's nice having a variety.
Canopus is still alive but he's always been using a spear and very strong with it. I'd have to get rid of that to give him the bow. I did have a hawk man with a bow but he died. So I only have 2 archers now but 1 of those is a pixie so she doesn't do much attacking.
Preasance is dead I only have 1 healer now and she's a cleric.
I have 3 witches and they are all set up with different spells. They do help.
I had Byan but he has since died. I had another wizard and he died also. All I have is a siren.
I have most characters holding a cure if they have the spot.
I do have Haborym. He's been helpful so far. Can leaders get status ailments? The attack preview says there's a chance but I can't remember it ever working.
But if everyone had those orbs and a cure they would only have room for 1 weapon and 1 armor which seems super risky?
And one last thing. Ever since I got revivify Preasance and the cleric were never able to use it. What's the deal?? It would have been helpful.
Mission complete!

User Info: direshall

direshall
2 weeks ago#4
Hawk men aren't good. Only Canopus is great in this class.
Pixie is useless in my opinion. Mounting a female archer is a much better class.
I don't remember what Siren do lol. I don't think I ever used them so I don't know about that.
Witches are very useful and they can use the spell charge in case you need to use a big spell. Once you're on chapter 4 get Deneb as soon as possible (after you gave her all your money for orbs lol). Her Quick spell is insanely useful and can make light units play twice in the same turn. Her upgraded version after you gave her 10 pumpkins isn't worth the time needed imo.
The leader can't get status aliment if I remember well but I'm not sure. You can use Haborym and petrify on himself in training to level up level 1 units quickly.
You need to turn a cleric into a priest to use revivify. A healer and a priest is a good team to heal everyone else. Replace the priest with an exorcist in case of undead enemies. Once you have 2 healers in your team you can remove the cure object from your units so that makes one space for an object to equip like an orb.

KingJames304
2 weeks ago#5
Hmm I see. I'm at the beginning of Chapter 4 now.
Maybe I'll give Canopus a bow and see how he does. I persuaded a 2nd archer now too and she comes with a special bow.
Siren is like a female wizard except supposedly with stronger magic. I do have a wizard now I did some tedious training with a new recruit.
Deneb sounds like the lady with the special shop the Warren Report told me about. I already have a witch that uses Quick though.
My cleric isn't able to become a priest. I wanted to persuade a priest from that last battle in Chapter 3 but I couldn't risk it.
Mission complete!
(edited 2 weeks ago)

KingJames304
1 week ago#6
I have one of each type of orb but Deneb doesn't offer to join me so whatever I guess.
What's the deal with the rimfire? It says it's a gun with infinite range but all I can do with it is whack the people that are right next to me. Even the archers won't shoot it.
Mission complete!

User Info: Oz_Dark_Knight

Oz_Dark_Knight
1 week ago#7
For the guns you have to have the gunner class. There should be something in the warren reoprt in chapter 4 before heigm IIRC. You have to save a gunner named Randal ot something like that. Its been years since i played the PSX version so im trying to remember the old names. After you have him you unlock the class and then they can fire the gun. Good weapons but you have to watch the terrain

KingJames304
1 week ago#8
I think I saw a Randal being attacked by dead things in the Hell Gate but he was a warlock. It was hopeless because I didn't have an exorcist but I will try again with one next time.
Mission complete!

User Info: Oz_Dark_Knight

Oz_Dark_Knight
1 week ago#9
That was Radlum hes the guy that unlocks dragon magic.

KingJames304
1 week ago#10
You know what's funny?
When I went back in to the Hell Gate to try and save Radlum the first battle had a different set of enemies. One of them dropped dragon magic which was a surprise. So I could have let Radlum die and still get it but I managed to save him as well.
Mission complete!
  1. Boards
  2. Tactics Ogre
  3. Is there any way to make this game fun?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A