• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Suikoden II
  3. PS3 glitches
SuikoKid2 5 years ago#1
Has anyone experienced any glitches when playing Suikoden 2 on the PS3? Like sound effects when certain rune and magic affects are active and going on?
NO. ITEMS. EVEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
SunsprayHoney 5 years ago#2
You mean like a rune's sound effect getting 'stuck' for awhile? That's common.

But it used to happen to me more often playing the disc version than off the PSN.
I couldn't fix your brakes so I made the horn a lot louder.
purieal 5 years ago#3
I don't recall hearing the rune effects get "stuck" on an actual Playstation (PSX), but it happens a lot with emulators. If it happens the same way on the PS3, it's sort of funny that Sony has the same issues accurately emulating their hardware that everyone else does. And that Konami's odd and glitchy work is equally an edge-case for them.
SuikoKid2 5 years ago#4
They are just sound effect glitches. When a magic/rune spell is cast the spell's sound effect of the spell makes a weird sound, idk how to even describe it but its odd and weird lol xD Not sure if others encountered this before? But when i usually played Suikoden 2 on the PS2 i hardly ever had this problem, only on PS3s lol and sometimes emulators i think
purieal 5 years ago#5
Yeah, when I play with ePSXe at least, I get that ringing sort of stuck, reverb effect with some consistency. It generally doesn't happen on a real PSX.

The PS2 had most of a PSX built into it. The core processor used by the PSX was a peripheral chip used to handle I/O by the PS2 in normal mode, and the machine just switched to use it as the main processor when you loaded a PSX game. The rest of the hardware the PS2 had in common with the PSX was similar or even just upgrades to the same parts. So the short explanation for why the PS2 doesn't have that problem is that it wasn't emulating anything in the usual sense. The bulk of its backwards compatibility was accomplished in hardware.

Come to think of it, I might not have the same problem as you on a PS3. I have one of the ancient models that was backwards compatible with the PS2, and if memory serves it did that by actually having most of a PS2 in it. I don't know if the Playstation on Playstation emulator they have on the PS3 is sophisticated enough to take advantage of a backwards-compatible PS3, though. So the PSN version might play exactly the same on any iteration of the PS3.
SuikoKid2 5 years ago#6
I've had those sound glitches happen once every so often on a PS2 when played on a PS2. It was very rare for me but it did happen.... For PS3? It was much more common, more often.
SuikoKid2 5 years ago#7
Now that i think about it... It could possibly be a glitch within the game's and PS1, 2 or 3 system's incompatiblitly issues with each other, or something maybe? Idk just a thought?
purieal 5 years ago#8
Yeah, I think it's a combination of something the game does that was odd for, but more or less handled well by the original PS, and emulation not absorbing the abuse in the same way. I don't think it's down to the way sound was encoded (badly) in the US version, but that may exacerbate the problem. It's not something I've really investigated.

This seems like the kind of thing that would could be tough to find without the original source code. I think it probably comes down to handing odd data to the Playstation's sound processor, but it could be a single bit out of whack in an option mask, and I can't bring myself to comb through the audio handlers to see.
SuikoKid2 5 years ago#9
Probably a combination like you said. Idk. Could be a glitch in the systems' and game's data and info maybe and even the coding like you said or incompatiblity like i said or all of that for that matter lol xD
SIMSteven 5 years ago#10
My big theory on this is something I've talked about before but I'll say it again.

Since this glitch shows up a lot more often on emulators, it's probably because people are playing through the game with save states. There's probably some temporary variable in memory that gets set early in the game and probably doesn't get unset except when the player resets their game or shuts the power off.

But with emulators, you can use save states and they keep all the data in memory and none of it gets cleared from RAM when you play through using save states to replace your normal save functionality. It'd be the equivalent of playing through the whole game non-stop and in one sitting.
  1. Boards
  2. Suikoden II
  3. PS3 glitches
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A