• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Fox 64
  3. Has anyone gotten the medal on Venom's easy route?

User Info: HylianFox

HylianFox
2 years ago#1
Closest I've come is 192 hits
I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals FUH-LAMING! - Homer Simpson
Don't be a turd. - Chris Pratt

User Info: Nicholas Harvey

Nicholas Harvey
2 years ago#2
You can actually score higher on the easy route than on the hard route, especially in Expert mode. My record for Expert is 330-- and it's not particularly difficult to get 300+ on Expert-- and getting well over 200 is still easy even on normal difficulty. You might want to bring some extra bombs from Titania or Macbeth first-- I recommend having at least seven. Go right, left, left, right at the junctions and at each junction, fire a bomb down the path that you're not taking. Even in normal difficulty, you should have little trouble finishing with over 250 points using this strat, never mind 200.
Current Mario Kart ranks (http://www.mariokart64.com/):
SMK- Emp C, MK64- Elite B, MKSC- Hero C, MKDD- Hero D, MKDS- Exp D, MKW- Hero D, MK7- Int B

HylianFox
2 years ago#3
Thing about Expert is the easy route is even tougher than the hard route, there are swarms of enemies and they are relentless.

Just surviving is a challenge in itself, let alone getting 200-300 hits

User Info: lalala_la

lalala_la
2 years ago#4
Nicholas Harvey posted...
fire a bomb down the path that you're not taking.

Huh, I never thought to do that...should give it a try if I ever get around to playing this again.

HylianFox
2 years ago#5
199 on expert, you have GOT to be f***ing s***ting me

I swear the counter deliberately stopped before 200

User Info: Arm_Cannon

Arm_Cannon
2 years ago#6
Just shoot bombs into swarms of enemies.
I don't hate people, Brendan. I'm just an angry person.

User Info: lalala_la

lalala_la
2 years ago#7
The annoying thing is that if you shoot down an enemy, it doesn't count as a kill until the enemy falls and hits the ground. If the enemy doesn't hit the ground until after you've flown past them, you don't get the points at all. So, if you bomb that massive swarm at the beginning and they fall behind you, no points. You can counteract it somewhat if you do a somersault and that allows them to stay on the screen for the points to register, but you can't do that all the time, and there's another massive swarm right after...

Nicholas Harvey
1 year ago#8
My strategy is to fire one, maybe two (if you're quick) charged shots and then bomb the swarm. You'll then have two smaller swarms of enemies coming at you on the left and right; brake here and fire the bomb into the ground. When you reach the canyon ("They're everywhere!") don't bomb. Hold Z and R (to prevent locking on) and shoot charged shots at the ground, hitting both the ground enemies and, if your timing was good, the air enemies flying over the charged shot explosions. You should defeat most of the enemies in the canyon with just your charged shots, and the Hit+ bonuses mean you'll get more points than if you bombed. You should have 85-90 points during the break in the enemies ("Don't go dying on me!")

At "You'll be sorry, punks!" lock on the lead enemy and wait a bit-- you'll be able to hit most or all of the group with one shot. At the first split (you should have about 115 points here) try to hit a few of the butterfly-like enemies on the left path with charged shots, then take a hard right at the last possible moment. When "You've got an enemy on your tail", fire a charged shot down to them as they pass you, followed by a charged shot to the enemy group coming at you from higher up.

At the second split, fire a few charged shots at the ground enemies then throw a bomb as far as you can, quickly braking and barrel-rolling to the left to get into the left path before you're forced to take the second right ("Incoming!") If you started the level with three bombs (the default), this will be your last bomb.

After going right and then left, go left at your third split, hold the brake down and fire charged shots at all the enemy formations before they split up. If your aim is good you should get most of them before they can break up. Brake as much as you can and try to hit them from as far as possible as they will split up if you get closer. This section makes the biggest difference in your score IMO, depending on how many you were able to hit.

In a good run, you should have at least 230 hits (more than enough for a medal) at the checkpoint if you're playing on normal difficulty, and on expert, you may already have 300!

Defeat Golemech (the mini-boss) as quickly as you can, and in Andross's tunnel, try to get a charged shot to hit halfway between the two ends of each electrical beam for a Hit+2. (Remember, Z+R to prevent locking on) Remember, Andross is worth no points on the easy route, so make sure you have at least 180 or so points when you get to the temple and Golemech, otherwise restart, or you won't get the medal!
SMK- Emp C, MK64- Elite B, MKSC- Hero C, MKDD- Hero D, MKDS- Exp D, MKW- Hero D, MK7- Int B

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
1 year ago#9
@Nicholas_Harvey you are the man!

Nicholas Harvey
1 year ago#10
One little oddity on this stage is that when you get the required 200+ hits for the medal, your score doesn't turn pink (indicating that medal conditions have been met) until after you have beaten Golemech and entered the tunnel leading to Andross. The testers might not have caught this because they weren't able to get 200+ hits here themselves...
  1. Boards
  2. Star Fox 64
  3. Has anyone gotten the medal on Venom's easy route?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

How do I save? General2 Answers
What is the WR for high score? General1 Answer
How do I beat Andross? Enemy/Boss2 Answers
Is My High-Score Even Possible? General1 Answer
How do I beat Star Wolf 3? Enemy/Boss7 Answers