• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shenmue
  3. Playing Shenmue for the first time
All ways wanted to try it after my family bought it for my older brother never got to play it before he moved out though.

So here i am now got the double pack on my PS4 because the copy I got for my Dreamcast came broken.

Anyway I can't wait to play it I have heard so highly of the game.

Any tips for a first timer?
Switch Friend Code: SW-5101-2906-6521///PSN: That_Pikmin_Guy
Come on Nintendo i don't care what it is anymore just put Pikmin on Switch.

User Info: Shotgunnova

Shotgunnova
1 year ago#2
A lot of this game is about investigating clues, but there will also be fights. Some you'll definitely need to win to continue, while others you can lose while incurring other penalties (usually forcing Ryo to rest the remainder of the day). You can practice in the dojo and a few other spots, such as empty parking lots and parks. Some of the most useful moves can be bought at the Dobuita antiques shop.

A few other things newbies should know (or might already):

• The game has tank controls
  • In the Dreamcast version, you can only save in select spots or when a disc ends
  • There are lots of little missable events and scenes, doable only at certain hours, on certain days, etc.
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame

User Info: CMDan

CMDan
1 year ago#3
I definitely recommend purchasing the Crawl Cyclone move scroll from Bunkado Antiques and practice it when you got some free time. I read a lot of FAQs stating its a recommended move to use on of the "villians" you will meet later in the game.

User Info: Vyse_skies

Vyse_skies
11 months ago#4
Download the patch fr the PS4 version as Mue one has broken audio.

• Colecting toys is cool and fun
  • Explore everywhere and really get invested in this well-designed world
  • There's much optional side content to enjoy; fights, toys, music, games. Try to find them all
This is the place where my signature is meant to be, but I can't seem to find a pen.

User Info: 85090578765572

4 months ago#5
I'm playing it for the first time right now. See it as an adventure game, it's slow. Keep your expectations in check

User Info: MiIkMan

MiIkMan
3 months ago#6
So what did you guys think?

@That_Pikmin_Guy
@85090578765572
Milk, man.
<< Protect society from the emotions of ugly people >>

User Info: That_Pikmin_Guy

That_Pikmin_Guy
3 months ago#7
It was pretty good finished it like 9 months ago.

It has a great story and gameplay wise its kinda like if Yakuza and majora's mask had a kid.

Anyway yeah great game probably gonna play 2 in the coming months.

Sorry about not posting I forgot to track the topic when I made it so I kinda forgot about it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-5101-2906-6521///PSN: That_Pikmin_Guy

User Info: 85090578765572

3 months ago#8
I thought it was pretty good, for it's time a 9/10 but today more like a 7.5. Ryo has no personality really which is unfortunate, but some of the others were pretty good. That fight again 70 guys was cool, working with the forklifts was more fun than expected, despite the cliffhanger I still felt pretty good about the story by the end. But the fact that Suzuki STILL intends many parts makes me not want to play 2 or any others. Why invest so much time in something that's not even going to end?

User Info: MiIkMan

MiIkMan
3 months ago#9
Man, you should definitely play 2. Don't let the lack of an overall conclusion stop you from enjoying the second game. Pretty much everything is ramped up in 2 and there's some great characters, events, and relationships in 2 that all wrap themselves up by the end of the game.
Milk, man.
<< Protect society from the emotions of ugly people >>
  1. Boards
  2. Shenmue
  3. Playing Shenmue for the first time
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A