• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Is it normal monsters become gradually more powerful?

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
1 month ago#11
revan193 posted...
One last question, how the Mystic spell "Mirror Shade" is unlocked? I have to Mystic spells until it just pop up or what?

That's pretty much all you need to do, yeah.

To go into more detail, basically, all magic schools have basic spells (ones you can buy from stores) and advanced spells (ones that can only be learned by having the gift, and then eventually learning them by using that school of magic in battle until you learn them).

With most schools of magic, you get the gift via completing an associated sidequest (asking a magic vendor about the gift will point you in the right direction), though in the case of mystic magic, it's simply that all mystic characters automatically have the Mystic magic gift, while human characters can never get the mystic magic gift (but they can still get the basic spells from the vendor).

Anyway, long story short, any mystic character of yours can just cast a mystic spell in battle, and they'll have a chance of learning Mirror Shade after the battle ends. Just casting a mystic spell once per battle is enough, since it's the same chance to learn it no matter how much you use mystic magic.

User Info: revan193

revan193
1 month ago#12
I just beat the huge squid in the Mansion's basement in Owmi and damn, it was harder than what I thought (over 9000 LP for a freaking first boss???).

I hope if I manage to finish the game and unlock the New Game+ mode, I will be able to play with zero stress over difficulty of battles.

User Info: WoW Knight

WoW Knight
1 month ago#13
You can choose what gets carried over in NG+. For a very easy game, check everything but battle rank.

A few pointers that you mighy have missed:

• Humans only learn new sword and martial skills if they have an empty slot! So never equip more than 7 skills! There's dodge skills to be learned too, so I usually keep a free slot even for gunners and magicians. Mystics, mecs and monsters can't learn dodge skill, by the way.
  • Recruit party members. You can get Thunder, a pretty good early game monster at Yorland if you have Lute in your party. Lute can be recruited at Scrap, but he starts pretty weak. You can get several other people by doing the Arcane/Rune quests.
  • Explore Shingrow ruins and Sei's tomb at Shrike. They all have some pretty nice equipment. There are other cool stuff lying around, so keep moving if you feel like grinding.
  • Buy magic! Healing magic at luminous, Shield card and Vitality Rune at Devin are all very useful. Money is pretty scarce in this game though, so I usually prefer buying magic over equipment.

You'll most likely die horribly in some boss fights, but don't worry. RNG is pretty strong in this game, so just try again (and again).
---

revan193
1 month ago#14
Oh, I know that you have to leave a spot or two free for potential new skills. Just one thing, you don't need to leave a spot open to learn Gun skills, just use a gun once in a battle and it's enough for the "skill lottery".

User Info: Ariax

Ariax
1 month ago#15
When it comes to equipment, focus on armor and defensive accessories at first. Using skills and getting used to the combo system will compensate for lack of good weapons starting out. You'll find better in time.

Also, money is hard to come by in this game (unless you opt to use a couple of well-known exploits that are often mentioned here), so focus on getting the best items. Don't waste precious credits on junk.

PS: Do NOT buy Purple Eyes and Wonder Bangles at the Manhattan jewelry shop. There are much better ways to get those items.
"Now I'm seeing dogs shaped like little boys. I guess I had one too many drinks." - Gen, Sage Frontier

revan193
1 month ago#16
Concerning the Purple Eyes accessory, I know which monsters drop it after a battle (however, it's as rare as learning a good skill) but I do not know what monster drops the Wonder Bangles.

And I can assure you, the only time I'll ever use money is to buy Magic Spells, that's it (literally all kinds of items can drop after a battle, even healing ones). Well, I'll also pay one LP for the item that will allow me to recruit the "Time Lord" I heard so much about.
And I can assure you, the only time I'll ever use money is to buy Magic Spells, that's it

No, you should definitely use money more than that. It's a resource that comes and goes and can be earned back, not something to hoard.

User Info: WoW Knight

WoW Knight
1 month ago#18
I don't know... early game money is pretty hard to come by and some good spell are expensive, like Reverse Gravity.
The exception is "endgame" stuff, like PoweredSuits. Those are indeed a great investment.
I still wouldn't waste money in anything weaker than that.
---

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
1 month ago#19
The way I usually approach money management in this game is as a resource to give early power spikes, or fill gaps in what you need.

Basically, money is something you want to use more carefully in this game, but you're still very much free to use it on a variety of things; you just want to be a bit pickier than in your average RPG. In some other RPGs, you may just arrive at a new shop buy an entirely new gear set for each of your characters, while in SaGa Frontier, you both can't afford that, and most shops are open from the start, making it work very differently. In SaGa Frontier, it's generally better to try and get a majority of your gear through exploration and enemy drops, then use money more for filling any gaps, or to make purchases that'll make a more big and immediate impact.

For example, I may buy something like a PoweredSuit for a big defense boost, or a strong sword or gun, so I can get better damage on one of my main damage dealers more quickly. In general, it's better to spend money for 1 or 2 high-end pieces of gear that won't be replaced as quickly than to buy a bunch of cheaper stuff that'll have less impact and that you'll get less mileage from.

One other thing that can sometimes be worth spending money on is consumables, particularly buying a few Cures early on, which can go a long way toward keeping you alive in some tougher fights, before you've gotten some of the game's better supportive skills, and SnakeOils, to cure status ailments. PowerCures and MaxCures can potentially be good too, but I'd usually only buy those if you have money to spare later in the game, or lack a character with healing skills (in which case your backpack user may become your main healer).

Far as magic goes, it definitely is a good purchase to prioritize early on, so I do agree with that advice, but it's also not something you tend to need to spent a ton of money on, mostly because there's a way you can save a lot of money while still getting plenty of spells: When a character gets the gift for a school, this lets them learn all that school's spells from battle, both the basic and the advanced ones. So that means for any character that has the gift, they really only need 1 spell in that school, since they can just keep casting that once per fight until they've learned all the spells for that school. In general, the learn rates for spells isn't too bad, so getting them all this way is pretty reasonable, too. Of course, if you're really in need of a basic spell sooner, it can possibly be worth buying it anyway, so in the end, you can be a bit flexible about this, and do what suits your needs and playstyle.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Is it normal monsters become gradually more powerful?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A