• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Is it normal monsters become gradually more powerful?

User Info: revan193

revan193
1 month ago#1
I got SaGa Frontier Remastered for the Nintendo Switch 3 days ago and I already have enough because the monsters become way too powerful for me, is it normal this is happening? I started with Asellus and I'm trying to train my sword/fighting/gun skills but I get killed in one hit almost everytime...

Any advice, 100% walkthrough or "official strategy" guide somewhere?

User Info: MysticLord

MysticLord
1 month ago#2
Avoid areas like the Biolab until you know what you're doing. The monsters there are higher tiers than what you normally find.

Try to keep your defenses high and use the Shield spell if you have trouble.
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a bazinga.

User Info: WoW Knight

WoW Knight
1 month ago#3
Yes, stronger enemies start to appear as your number of battles increase. It's a hidden value called Battle Rank. But how many enemies you face is random, so quick save often and don't worry about being defeated sometimes.
Some places are even harder, as BioLab, some are easier, as Koorong sewers.

If your party members are too weak, you should try to explore some dungeons to get better equipment, buy magic and get more party members.

The beginning of Asellus quest can be particulary tough, as you don't have access to equipment or party members other than white rose. There's no need to grind in this part of the game though. Just keep playing and it'll get easier.
---
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: ffvd_games

ffvd_games
1 month ago#4
revan193 posted...
Any advice, 100% walkthrough or "official strategy" guide somewhere?

There is an official strategy guide by BradyGames for the original game on archive.org, but it's not worth your time. The guides here are much much better.

User Info: MysticLord

MysticLord
1 month ago#5
ffvd_games posted...
There is an official strategy guide by BradyGames for the original game on archive.org, but it's not worth your time. The guides here are much much better.
Well, not all of them.

Zaraktheus' data/mechanics guide is good, but it's quite the slog for someone who just wants to game.
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a bazinga.

User Info: WoW Knight

WoW Knight
1 month ago#6
MysticLord posted...
Zaraktheus' data/mechanics guide is good, but it's quite the slog for someone who just wants to game.
I wouldn't even call it a walkthrough. It tells how stuff works, but not how to clear any scenarios
I like Nefdas' walkthrough. It's short and to the point, although it was made (way) before the remaster, so all terms are from the original version and there isn't anything of the new content, which is particulary bad for Asellus quest.
---

User Info: ffvd_games

ffvd_games
1 month ago#7
WoW Knight posted...
and there isn't anything of the new content, which is particulary bad for Asellus quest.

@SkankinGarbage has guides for Asellus and Fuse over on the new boards for the remaster

revan193
1 month ago#8
Are you saying that I can't train my characters as I want because the game will make the battles even harder after a while? That sucks and that explains why I met enemies that can kill me in one hit in Chateau Aiguille (the first area of the game with Asellus)...

At least the New Game+ mode will make things easier for me.

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
1 month ago#9
revan193 posted...
Are you saying that I can't train my characters as I want because the game will make the battles even harder after a while? That sucks and that explains why I met enemies that can kill me in one hit in Chateau Aiguille (the first area of the game with Asellus)...

At least the New Game+ mode will make things easier for me.

Battles do get harder, but don't let it keep you from training your characters. While enemies do get harder over time, grinding will give you more power than it will for the enemies, so if you're feeling weak, training is always beneficial.

Another thing is that stronger enemies = quicker and more efficient training, since stronger enemies have a higher chance of giving stat-ups after battle, and have better odds of allowing you to spark new and more powerful skills. As a result, even if you do wind up having it where you're notably weaker than the enemies, things will even out quickly (like, within 5-10 minutes of training quickly). Simply put, battle rank is a mechanic that sounds far more intimidating than it actually is. It's fine to keep it in mind and try and make your training more efficient so you raise your battle rank less if you want, but it's really not something you need to micromanage in order to do well; if you act like it doesn't exist, you'll also be fine.

Far as why enemies around Asellus' starting area being tough goes, it's just always that way. Asellus starts especially weak among the protagonists, and she's also starts solo and with bad gear, so she's not going to do very well on her own (likewise, the solo training she can do with Illdon isn't worthwhile, both because it's rather tough to win at first, and it's inefficient grinding). The enemies you can find at the "outside" area of the castle are also tougher than average, so they're gonna be tough even if you head there with the one ally you can get and bring along to that area, White Rose. It's also not an area you're meant to get through currently, but somewhere you're supposed to return to and explore much later in her scenario. Once you actually head out of Facinaturu, are free to explore the world, and gather a full party of 5 characters, things should already feel less rough. Then get some gear on them (there's tons of good gear and items just lying around for the taking in this game), and some decent skills, and things should feel very managable in general.

One other thing you may want to know is that Asellus' scenario is probably one of the harder ones to start on. Some of what you encountered in Facinaturu is part of the reason (that area can feel a bit rough and confusing, especially when new to the game), though it's also that her story throws bosses without much warning and at places that can potentially limit your exploration a bit; you'll never be so limited that you'd be stuck, but it does make it rougher than some other scenarios. I think you'd still be able to get through it if you want to do it first (and you can always ask on this board if you get stuck or need help), but if you want an easier scenario to start out on, I'd suggest Red's or Emilia's.
(edited 1 month ago)

revan193
1 month ago#10
One last question, how the Mystic spell "Mirror Shade" is unlocked? I have to Mystic spells until it just pop up or what?
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Is it normal monsters become gradually more powerful?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A