• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Does Monster Barrier skills stack?
Rainrir 6 months ago#1
As per above, since I am interested in building one with all 3 barriers.
ffvd_games 6 months ago#2
Rainrir posted...
As per above, since I am interested in building one with all 3 barriers.

I believe they do, but I'm not entirely sure about the abilities stacking. I know you can have multiple barriers active at once, meaning you get to have like 3 free damage opportunities when you get hit, but I'm not sure if the abilities themselves can stack
https://www.ffvdgames.com
MysticLord 6 months ago#3
I think the defenses stack, but not the counters.
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a bazinga.
Rainrir 6 months ago#4
Alright time to make a Dullahan with Sei

Flaming Veil
Frigid Veil
Shockinh Veil
PsyReflector
Mighty Cyclone
Kusanagi
Magic Heal
LifeRain/AOE attack

+ 4 Windshells or other types of accessories that isn't SolGrail/SheetCoin.
MysticLord 6 months ago#5
Four windshells give you 60 electric defense on top of whatever armors your form has, so if you need to ditch one element, ditch electric.

Though if you're not in blue's quest there's almost no reason to keep psy reflector. I think 5 enemies use magic.
Rainrir 6 months ago#6
Well you can replace one windshell with a Thunder Charm to get 100 Spirit/Force defense will relying still on Shocking Veil for Lightning Damage defense.

I think opens up more flexibility for EQ
MysticLord 6 months ago#7
You'll get maximum force/status defense, 60 pierce/electric, and 20 slash/bash/heat/cold defense from 4 windshells. And pretty good stat boosts too.

100 is the max, anything above that is wasted. Ideally one would aim for something that raises the most defenses without wasting any, which depends partially on what monster forms you intend to stay in.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/198537-saga-frontier/faqs/36630

4 windshells might not be ideal in all situations in light of this, but the 100 defense items are basically wasted slots outside of specific battles or if you want 100 force defense and 3 utility accessories.
Rainrir 6 months ago#8
Spirit is a pretty common element since so many attacks use it. It's probably more useful than Sleet Coin that protects against Cold.
But yes, the 100 defense items are more wasted on someone like Dullahan which has moderate damage resistance across the board. It can still be useful for particular monster, say Sleet Coin for Zeroworms, or Thunder Charm for Snowfolks forms that need a lot of boosts to reach 99 resistance for one of the 4 elements (especially if the form makes it tricky to get all 3 barriers on it at once).

Dullahan has moderately high defenses at everything, with most elements all being highish and the lowest being spirit/force. They also have really low Blunt, but nothing they can equip will really help them with that. The rest of the monsters, except Black Dragons, can also use the triple barrier + Windshield strategy well.

Having the barriers make you not need to worry to heavily about stack windshells for defenses. The key advantage of many Windhsells then is the mobility boost, which greatly increases the damage of physicals like Kusanagi or Mighty Cyclone, and the massive Piercing Boost. Psy boost is also useful if you use Dirge, which is the number 1 anti-Shadow skill in the game.

I would say that having barriers also allow you go skimp on windshells if wasted resistance is an issue. You can instead get Purple Eyes or Seastone or Sand Vessel for extra attacks or specific resistances (like water for Seastones), particularly Purple Eyes that allow people to utilize monster JP got long drawn out battles and provide alternate source of damage beyond what they normally have.

This is why I feel triple barrier is a good start for most final monster forms (aka.absorbing is no longer a concern) where you will be replacing the default skills with the ultimate skills for monsters.
Michael_C 6 months ago#9
Rainrir posted...
Alright time to make a Dullahan with Sei

Flaming Veil
Frigid Veil
Shockinh Veil
PsyReflector
Mighty Cyclone
Kusanagi
Magic Heal
LifeRain/AOE attack

+ 4 Windshells or other types of accessories that isn't SolGrail/SheetCoin.
If you want an unkillable monster, black dragon and gelatin are probably the best 2. Gelatin can max VIT and all but one of the resistances which is pretty insane.

Black dragon can also 99 VIT with a seastone and max most resistances.
Rainrir 6 months ago#10
Gelatin is good, and has better defensive stats/resistances, but I like to go Snowfolk because they look better and have slightly better offensive stats.

Black Dragon is good too, but abit too pleb. They also dont have many base immunities like the inorganic/undead monsters.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Does Monster Barrier skills stack?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A