• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Help with Riki's quest and combos?
RodimusBen 7 months ago#1
I am playing the remaster and loving it; it's giving me a chance to finish this game I never finished 22 years ago. I've learned most of the systems but Riki's quest has been tough for me because of the apparent randomness of the monster evolution. I know there's technically a really complex system to it, but it's incredibly daunting.

To compound that, now I'm facing the second-to-last boss, and you have to defeat him by successfully doing a number of combos rather than just doing traditional damage. I have never been able to really understand combos. I know there is a system for that too, and I've seen the chart, but there are a lot of gaps in my list of character moves. So I have two questions I'm hoping this lovely community can help with:

1. Is there a way to increase your odds of characters learning new sword and martial arts skills in battle (or gun skills immediately after battle)?
  2. Is there a way to increase the odds of a combo happening? I'm not asking about how to create the conditions for a combo, because I know that you can figure that out with a chart. But even when my characters seem to be doing the right moves, my success rate is pretty low. Is there a stat I can boost to help that?
Thanks!
"You got to go through hell before you get to heaven" - Steve Miller Band
DragonAtma 7 months ago#2
Every enemy has a spark value; the higher the spark value, the better the odds of sparking a new skill. That's why they occur more often during boss fights.

The odds for sparking gun abilities and spells are also multiplied by (Int/64); that means everyone can raise their odds of learning gun skills and spells by training their Int, but it also means Gen will need a lot of training to catch up to Rouge.

---

As for combos, my best advice is to look at the quickness stat. If Gen has 50 quickness but Emelia has only 20 quickness, aiming for a Gen-Emelia combo makes much more sense than aiming for an Emelia-Gen combo. Also keep in mind that a 35-quickness enemy has a good chance of going between the two, and that would prevent them from comboing.

Or just have everyone use BoundShot (and compatible self-comboing skills); IIRC that's what I did.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Founder and owner of Dragonsoft since 1997.
Ariax 7 months ago#3
RodimusBen posted...

1. Is there a way to increase your odds of characters learning new sword and martial arts skills in battle (or gun skills immediately after battle)?

One thing that'll help is to get a blue skill crown on your character. Learn and equip six skills (swords, martial arts, guns, or any combination thereof) and NO SPELLS. You should reach 6 quickly enough between sword and martial arts techs. I find this to be a huge help, especially when learning gun skills for Emelia.
"Now I'm seeing dogs shaped like little boys. I guess I had one too many drinks." - Gen, Sage Frontier
AramilOfTusmit 7 months ago#4
Most sword skills are learned from the default attack, and most martial arts skills are learned from either Punch, Kick, or Air Throw. As Ariax mentioned, having a 'crown' in physical techs will help also. Generally you'll want to be fighting fairly strong enemies to spark new techs - the Bio lab in Shrike and the swamps in Yorkland are good places for this.

Some skills combo extremely well, and some even combo with themselves. SwallowSwing and Boundshot come to mind, as examples of the latter. Look them up in the guides here.
tiornys 7 months ago#5
AramilOfTusmit posted...
Most sword skills are learned from the default attack, and most martial arts skills are learned from either Punch, Kick, or Air Throw.
While this is true, a lot of skills have higher chances to be learned from various other techs. For example, Head Wind can be learned from the normal Slash at difficulty 30, but it's much easier to learn it from Double Slash where it's only difficulty 24. This guide shows which skills teach which other skills and the associated difficulties: https://globe90.tripod.com/sftech.html
MysticLord 7 months ago#6
tiornys posted...
While this is true, a lot of skills have higher chances to be learned from various other techs. For example, Head Wind can be learned from the normal Slash at difficulty 30, but it's much easier to learn it from Double Slash where it's only difficulty 24. This guide shows which skills teach which other skills and the associated difficulties: https://globe90.tripod.com/sftech.html
I think Zaraktheus' guide has a version of this which for each character has only the spark values that they have a talent for. Without talent, I think you're looking at 1/255 spark rate.
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a bazinga.
tiornys 7 months ago#7
MysticLord posted...
I think Zaraktheus' guide has a version of this which for each character has only the spark values that they have a talent for. Without talent, I think you're looking at 1/255 spark rate.
Without talent it's 1/255 or 0/255, depending on if the spark value of the target is high enough to even register a chance at learning the skill you want. So the difficulty matters at least a little even without talent, and it matters a lot with talent.
Michael_C 6 months ago#8
Bounding Shot
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. Help with Riki's quest and combos?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A