• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. How various things work, as determined by debugger, Part 2

User Info: Zaraktheus

Zaraktheus
11 years ago#1
This is the continuation of my long-running topic explaining various aspects of SaGa Frontier's internal mechanics, which I've translated directly from the game's data and subroutines. You can see the now-archived Part 1 here:

How various things work, as determined by debugger:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198537-saga-frontier/51404644

I also have a Data/Mechanics Guide here at GameFAQs which consolidates a lot (but not nearly all, yet) of the information from the first thread as well as quite a few other things, and I'm continuing to add more information to it as time permits. You can find it here:

Data/Mechanics Guide, by Zaraktheus:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198537-saga-frontier/faqs/58412

I highly recommend that anyone with an interest in how SF works read it, or at least check out the Table of Contents and skim any sections that catch your attention.

There's also a good deal of information on the SF Data Project site that still (at the time of writing this) isn't available anywhere else. It's a simple free site shared by myself, Mir_Vimes, and Eroneous_Waylay. It isn't pretty, hasn't been updated (to my knowledge) in months, and some of the data is only partially decrypted or out of date, but it's still an excellent resource. You can find the site here:

SF Data Project Website:
http://sf.data.project.tripod.com/index.htm

Feel free to ask questions in this thread about how SF's many mysterious systems work. I'll do my best to answer them as time allows, though please do remember that I'm doing this in my limited spare time and for no compensation.

Before asking anything, please at least make sure that I haven't already covered it in my Data/Mechanics Guide. I'd also greatly appreciate it if you'd at least skim this thread and my first debugger thread to try to see if it's already covered there. I can understand not wanting to take the time to do so, but I hope you can understand in kind that repeatedly answering some of the same questions isn't how I want to spend my time either, and any time I spend doing that is time I can't spend discovering and sharing new information.

I'm also very interested (at least in a long-term sense) in modifying SF. Toward that end, I created and released in my first debugger thread a number of gameshark-style codes to modify various aspects of the game. While I think that heavily and systematically modifying SF is a discussion better left until the discovery process is much nearer to completion, I don't mind answering questions when I can about what is or may be possible to modify, or fulfilling the occasional code request, if it's reasonable for me to do so (some things are much easier than others).

Alright, I hope that this thread will continue to be an interesting, informative, and helpful resource for the game we all love. Enjoy!

User Info: Myertch_Aileron

Myertch_Aileron
11 years ago#2
Would it be possible to program new skills? Perhaps make more 2-sword skills or even make pre-existing skills into 2-sword techniques to make them more powerful?

Also, on the topic of the code to downloading personal Mec skills rate increase (for skills like PopKnight), it doesn't seem to work any more frequently.

This is the code in reference:

Mec Self-Development success chance x2.5:
D01A801C 1A34
801A801C 1A49
There's a fine "li" between "obvious" and "oblivious."

Myertch_Aileron
11 years ago#3
Also, is it possible to increase the potency of certain healing abilities such as RepairPack and StarLightHeal?

Zaraktheus
11 years ago#4
Would it be possible to program new skills?

Not without overwriting existing Abilities. Some games have lots of extra room in their Ability Data in the form of dummy Abilities that never get used anywhere. SaGa Frontier, on the other hand, uses virtually every Ability it has room for somewhere. There might be one or two that could be edited without sacrificing anything, but that's it.

Perhaps make more 2-sword skills or even make pre-existing skills into 2-sword techniques to make them more powerful?
Also, is it possible to increase the potency of certain healing abilities such as RepairPack and StarLightHeal?

It is possible to set the "requires 2 swords" flag for Abilities that didn't originally have it, though that does not itself have any effect on the power of an Ability. 2GaleSlash, for example, is more powerful than GaleSlash because it has an APG (Ability Power Growth) of 9 vs 7, not because of anything directly related to the 2-Swords requirement.

It is also possible to change the power of Abilities, whether they do damage or heal.

on the topic of the code to downloading personal Mec skills rate increase (for skills like PopKnight), it doesn't seem to work any more frequently.

I've tested that code set and with it active, I've used the debugger to go step-by-step through the subroutine it modifies to ensure that it does what I intended. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

However, not all code devices are compatible with all code types. It's possible that the device you are using is incompatible, and this code set might therefore not work for you.

Even if your device is compatible and the code set is working for you, you shouldn't expect to clearly observe the difference without paying close attention and carefully recording the data from hundreds of trials. The human mind is terrible at accurately estimating the probability of events from memory, because human memory is only semi-reliably-accurate in the short term, and randomness only reliably adheres to probability in the long term.
(message deleted)

Myertch_Aileron
11 years ago#6
Not sure if you saw this.

User Info: Oulak

Oulak
11 years ago#7
Hey Z, I tested the code you bequeathed upon us for changing the Snowfolk's required skills from ArcticBreath & IceSmash to IceBarrier & IceSmash. I had a Snowfolk form with Icebarrier on a file already saved, so I dropped the ArcticBreath and picked up some other skills. It worked like a charm! Although now I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better to alter Iceworm's requirements instead (or in addition to), as I kinda miss being able to use ArcticBreath as a Snowfolk. Here is Zaraktheus's code again, from the original thread:

3002f496 00bc
3002f49a 0000

If I'm not mistaken, it seems the first line adds the requirement of IceBarrier, and the second line removes the requirement of ArcticBreath. Would it be possible to get an explanation of these codes that modify the transformations tables so that the rest of us can get working on patching it up? I'm already looking at the Gunfish, Slime, UnicornJr with Kick & MagicHeal, and Chimera with Trample.

Zaraktheus
11 years ago#8
@ Myertch_Aileron:

Not sure if you saw this.

I saw it, quoted it, and answered it. Take another look.

Myertch_Aileron
11 years ago#9
It is not there in your post, I'm sorry.

Zaraktheus
11 years ago#10
Yes it is.

This is what you asked:

This is what I said:
It is also possible to change the power of Abilities, whether they do damage or heal.
  1. Boards
  2. SaGa Frontier
  3. How various things work, as determined by debugger, Part 2
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A