• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  3. RE 1 vs RE 1 Directors Cut

User Info: BlkBlzr01

BlkBlzr01
9 years ago#1
sadly i have never owned either one of these copies. i have 2 and 3, but now i want to go back to 1 if i can find a cheap copy. what is the difference between the the original and the directors cut?

thanks

User Info: WarGreymon77

WarGreymon77
9 years ago#2
Director's Cut adds a few things, like difficulty modes, including "Advanced" mode which has new camera angles, enemy placements, and costumes. DC is really the better version, as long as you get the original version of Director's Cut, with Chris on the cover holding a shotgun. I say this because the Greatest Hits version (with the zombie on the cover) has the music changed for the worse, and if I remember right, it removed the ability to auto-aim.
Creator of the official Digimon: Digital Monsters community board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1430-digimon-digital-monsters

User Info: Recoome_is_god

Recoome_is_god
9 years ago#3
Dual Shock/Greatest Hits version of DC retained the Auto-Aim feature; it's only missing from non-JPN versions of 'vanilla' RE1.

Taking the whole Auto-Aim thing out of the equation anyway (because I never use it unless I am feeling lazy during a demonstration), the only real difference between RE and REDC is... the difficulty.

'Standard/Original' mode in DC gives you the original game at the original Japanese difficulty -- Western versions were tweaked so that:
- Enemies took more damage.
- Ink ribbons only gave 2 per pickup instead of 3.

Really, that's about it. DC also manages to switch between FMV's and gameplay faster (somehow), but that's not really a valid 'feature'.

As for the other two modes (Advanced/Training), they're not on the original version, only DC.

Which version to buy though?

Director's Cut, probably. Two modes worth playing (I guess Training's good for a laugh or an easy run through the game though) is better value for whatever money you spend than only having one mode which is essentially somewhere between the two for difficulty.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS II - Return to the Labyrinth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdejK6yKiQ

User Info: Reala

Reala
9 years ago#4
I suggest buying Director's Cut, but not the greatest hits version.
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...

User Info: Recoome_is_god

Recoome_is_god
9 years ago#5
Oh god, yes. Avoid the GH version if at all possible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS II - Return to the Labyrinth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdejK6yKiQ
(message deleted)

User Info: schlaufuchsMIKE

schlaufuchsMIKE
9 years ago#7
The Directors Cut has the option to play the original North American release as well as the updated version, so there's no reason not to buy this over the standard edition (do avoid the GH version, heh heh!). The PSN version is the Greatest Hits, so don't buy it.
"This is America - none of us are supposed to be here." ~ Peter Hornberger, 30Rock

User Info: JoveHack

JoveHack
9 years ago#8
Director's Cut has all of the original, plus Advanced/Arranged mode with different camera angles, different lighting, and different item/lock placement.

Amazing how much difference the new camera angles and lighting made. It was almost like playing a different game.

So get RE1:DC if you can.
Jove the Sleep Depraved

User Info: HeeroXXXG-01W

HeeroXXXG-01W
9 years ago#9
Can someone confirm this?

In the Director's Cut Dual Shock edition, you get the screen that says that the game contains violence and gore at the beginning, but in the normal Director's Cut edition, that screen is not present?

User Info: Reala

Reala
9 years ago#10

Can someone confirm this?

In the Director's Cut Dual Shock edition, you get the screen that says that the game contains violence and gore at the beginning, but in the normal Director's Cut edition, that screen is not present?

Yes, that is accurate. Regular Director's Cut was the only version I played until I downloaded the Dual Shock version on PSN last year, so I know the original doesn't contain that message. I just booted the DS version on my PSP and it does contain that message.
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  3. RE 1 vs RE 1 Directors Cut
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A