• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. As a RPG vet I can't help but try to kill all the zombies

User Info: VictourieFlake

VictourieFlake
2 years ago#1
Which in turn makes all the encounter in normal impossible since well you are not supposed to since this is a survival horror game.

Easy and arranged seems to be more up my alley by giving me a f*** ton of bullet and unlimited on the latter.

I always wonder who would be playing the easy difficulties on your usual or action RPG since those are too easy in a sense. Heh ironically due to my unfamiliarity with the horror survival genre in general I am morr comfortable with both Easy/Arranged than normal. Also I'm a chicken so.....

User Info: VictourieFlake

VictourieFlake
2 years ago#2
I'm having troubles controlling the character more than anything, 11/10 control.

Dying to enemy on easy/arranged mode due to controls, Christ I suck at this game.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
2 years ago#3
Yeah that’s usually the first thing I tell people who aren’t familiar with the early RE games; spend some time learning/getting comfortable with the controls before diving too deep into the game. It’ll really help with some later parts and increase enjoyability.

User Info: teflon

teflon
2 years ago#4
Are you using a D-Pad for controls? An analogue stick sucks for the classics. I went from a stick to a D-Pad and controlling characters became much easier for me since a single tap would no longer send me careening into the direction the stick was in.

Also, remember that the direction the character moves is based on where the character is facing. If Claire is facing the screen, hitting the "up" button will make her move closer to the camera because she's technically facing forward.

For ammo conservation, try to do a few "scouting" runs where you see what's in the rooms so you can plan out good routes, see what enemies you can dodge, and how much ammo or weapons you need to clear out the room, then restart from your last save and do redo it with the strategies you've formulated. RE2 is generally much more forgiving with ammo than RE1 PSX is, but you can run out in the RPD itself if you blindly run in and try to do things like take on multiple large hordes of enemies with the Handgun. This is also a good way to get used to the controls.

Personally, I have my own set of rules for engaging enemies and what weapons to use against them. I'll share it with you to give you some ideas.

1, 2, or 3 zombies = Handgun, Explosive Rounds, SMG or Bowgun if 3 of them
Large (4+) group of zombies = Shotgun, Bowgun, all Grenade Launcher ammo except Acid Rounds, Leon's Custom Handgun if you have the distance and ammo for it, SMG, or in Leon Labs, Magnum
Mutated animals = Ignore. This includes Zombie Dogs. Almost all of them can be avoided or you can easily tank the pitiful damage they give. Exception is the Giant Spider that's in your way in the tight corridor underneath the Kennel in Leon's B scenario.
Lickers (regular and Enhanced) = Shotgun, Acid Rounds
Ivies = Shotgun, Flame Rounds
Bosses = Grenade Launcher (ammo type depends on boss), Magnum

The Magnum can also work against Lickers and Ivies, but I'd recommend not using it against them until you're replaying the game so you know how much spare Magnum ammo you can afford to use against them.

There will always be some exceptions, but you can judge when those happen. For example, I use the Handgun (Leon or Claire) in the tunnels to the train in the Factory despite there being a lot of zombies in it since it's the last time you'll be able to effectively use the Handgun, you usually have lots of ammo for it, and the zombies in there kindly come towards you one at a time. More powerful weapons can be used if you're trying to speedrun, but generally the Handgun works best in that situation, despite the amount of enemies technically calling for stronger weapons.
"Japanman is a nice name."-PsykopijonSnowball3
Secret Board Hunter

User Info: olk3034

olk3034
1 year ago#5
You can actually kill every zombie in the game and still have a ton of ammo left over
http://i.imgur.com/lvzLhiZ.jpg

User Info: Recoome_is_god

Recoome_is_god
1 year ago#6
olk3034 posted...
You can actually kill every zombie in the game and still have a ton of ammo left over

At least on Easy. You can't kill all the zombies at the start of Scenario A or B on Normal :V

But as soon as you're off the streets then yes, the ammo just keeps rolling in and everything can be killed off with no concern for supplies.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS II - Return to the Labyrinth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdejK6yKiQ

User Info: manugarciac

manugarciac
1 year ago#7
olk3034 posted...

Are you counting the ones in Kendo shop, the ones in the Evidence Room, the ones in the East Office, the ones near the helicopter crash. I don't see how I could have killed all of those with the ammo I currently have. I killed the ones that were on my way so far (just met Chief Irons with Claire), and have 90 handgun ammo to spare, but I doubt it would be enough to kill all of those.
PSN: TheManuPro
Check my piano performances... To Zanarkand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokFQsFx5-M ~ Eternity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hkyfreh9Hs

User Info: Recoome_is_god

Recoome_is_god
1 year ago#8
manugarciac posted...
Are you counting the ones in Kendo shop,

I don't see why not, at least if you pick up the two boxes of ammo here and the Bowgun.

the ones in the Evidence Room, the ones in the East Office, the ones near the helicopter crash. I don't see how I could have killed all of those with the ammo I currently have. I killed the ones that were on my way so far (just met Chief Irons with Claire), and have 90 handgun ammo to spare, but I doubt it would be enough to kill all of those.

Use the Bowgun then!

It has an ill-gotten reputation and speedrunners avoid it like the plague but if you want to kill everything then the Bowgun is a perfectly good weapon to use when it comes to absolutely trashing any zombies you find. In fact the Evidence Room even has a load of Bowgun ammo which you can use to effortlessly blow through the zumbimans lurking in there, and the East Office.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS II - Return to the Labyrinth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdejK6yKiQ

User Info: manugarciac

manugarciac
1 year ago#9
Recoome_is_god posted...
manugarciac posted...
Are you counting the ones in Kendo shop,

I don't see why not, at least if you pick up the two boxes of ammo here and the Bowgun.

the ones in the Evidence Room, the ones in the East Office, the ones near the helicopter crash. I don't see how I could have killed all of those with the ammo I currently have. I killed the ones that were on my way so far (just met Chief Irons with Claire), and have 90 handgun ammo to spare, but I doubt it would be enough to kill all of those.

Use the Bowgun then!

It has an ill-gotten reputation and speedrunners avoid it like the plague but if you want to kill everything then the Bowgun is a perfectly good weapon to use when it comes to absolutely trashing any zombies you find. In fact the Evidence Room even has a load of Bowgun ammo which you can use to effortlessly blow through the zumbimans lurking in there, and the East Office.

Ok, maybe I'll try on another playthrough. I'm not saying I'm running out of ammo, of couse, I have 90 handgun, but in the Evidence Room for example I let myself get bit on purpose, so that you then push the three zombies in front of you at the same time.
PSN: TheManuPro
Check my piano performances... To Zanarkand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokFQsFx5-M ~ Eternity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hkyfreh9Hs
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. As a RPG vet I can't help but try to kill all the zombies
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A