• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Quake II
  3. How much survived in the port?

User Info: Oemenia

Oemenia
10 years ago#1
I remember the PC game being HUGE, i mean HUGE. The levels were so big, they would be numerous areas divided by load times. And on top of that, the game was really long. However that wasnt all, there were the really cool secret levels too

So my question is, how good is the PSone port, what does it not retain?
XBL GT = Oemenia

User Info: friendlydude

friendlydude
10 years ago#2
The Playstation version is fantastic. While some of the levels were cut down in size (I believe) it's really not by much. I don't even think it's a big deal really, so I don't understand why a few people were complaining about that back in the day. Also, the PSX version is more colorful. Again, people didn't like that because, according to them, the graphics are supposed to be dark. Doesn't matter to me though. I love this game.

"The levels were so big, they would be numerous areas divided by load times"

Funny you should mention load times in the PC version, since most people have a problem with the load times in the PSX port. Never made sense to me, since the loading is always really short and barely a second long in the Playstation version. People act like you're waiting five seconds or longer when that's not true.

Oemenia
10 years ago#3
Okay, so would you say at least 80% of the game is still there. What about the secret levels? The graphics on the PSone game are great i think, it looks better than the PC game running on Software.

Also, if you play it on a PSone emulator, you can get it close to OpenGL, offcourse, it isnt as smooth and the textures are worse, but at least you get to see the nicer colours of the PSone version even better
XBL GT = Oemenia

friendlydude
10 years ago#4
"Okay, so would you say at least 80% of the game is still there."

Yeah

"What about the secret levels?"

I'm not really sure what the secret levels are. There's a bunch of places where you can blast through walls and find hidden tunnels and stuff like that. There's also hidden rooms you can blast away to find hidden goodies (weapons).

"The graphics on the PSone game are great i think, it looks better than the PC game running on Software."

I agree the graphics are really good. I'm still amazed how good they look. Proof that ports can be done right if game companies are willing to spend time on making them.

"Also, if you play it on a PSone emulator, you can get it close to OpenGL, offcourse, it isnt as smooth and the textures are worse, but at least you get to see the nicer colours of the PSone version even better"

I've never played an emulator so I don't know about that stuff. I hear they are really convenient for playing games that are impossible to find nowadays, or for people who don't want to spend a lot of money on a game :)

Oemenia
10 years ago#5
^^ Emulators are AMAZING, you get to play your games on a different medium (my laptop for example, i love portability!) and get enhanced graphics.

I have a website that hosts EVERY Psone game from almost every region. You need to be experienced with 7zip and WinRAR as they sometimes come split or with passwords. Most of the games are on either Rapidshare or Megaupload. Also most of the times, they come in separate parts, so you have to download them individually and then merge them. Its a LOT easier than it sounds. Megaupload is fine, but Rapidshare sucks, you have to wait AGES and AGES to download, just avoid at all costs. If you want this link, feel free to email me

As for the emulator, i can point you to it. Go http://www.epsxe.com/download.php and download ePSXe 1.7.

Once you have done that, go http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/psxplugins-tools.html and under Sound Plugins download Eternal SPU and under Graphics Plugins download P.E.Op.S. GPU 1.18b, Pete's GPU Plugins 1.77 and Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU 2.0.9.

Remember, dont this is complicated its very easy. Once youve downloaded those, reply and i will help you with the rest, again its very easy. Ill bring some screenshots to show you just how great games look once you use an emulator, 3D games for example will look almost PS2 quality
XBL GT = Oemenia

friendlydude
10 years ago#6
Thanks, but I don't think I'll download any emulators right now. First of all, I have dial-up connection, and for the last few weeks it's been running extremely slow and I can't get it faster again to save my life (I'm running on 24.0 Kbps- I should be near 50).

Also, I'm not sure my computer can handle them without slowing everything down. I once tried downloading a program like Napster and everything ran so slow on my computer I had to delete the program. I'm using a Gateway that I received from my dad back in 2002.

Also, aren't viruses a problem? Do emulators have viruses, and are they a constant problem? I wouldn't wanna deal with any of that stuff.

Oemenia
10 years ago#7
Yikes, i feel for you = (

In this case PSone emulation is going to be tough, but if you dont mind playing without enhancing the graphics, then you might do fine

As for the emulator, its only a few megabytes big, and so are the plug ins. As for the emulators, they are PERFECTLY fine, no viruses and all, these people work extremely hard at getting them to work with every game, and the last thing they need is people not using it. So yes, they are virus free, just use their own websites and you should be fine.
XBL GT = Oemenia

friendlydude
10 years ago#8
Ok, will do. That's good news about the viruses. I'm using a virus protection program called CA Security Center, which has been absolutely great the last two years. But it's good to know there's not a thread of viruses with emulators.

Well, we might be getting cable soon, which will mean a computer a LOT faster than the one I have to deal with at the moment.

Oemenia
10 years ago#9
Use something called Nod32, its about 20-30mb in size and its currently the second best. The reason why i suggest it is because other virus protection take up a lot of RAM, this on the other hand is regarded the second if not THE best protection out there yet it takes up around 5-10mb in RAM

So try get that. But yeah, hope you get Cable soon, plenty of PSone games youll be able to enjoy = )
XBL GT = Oemenia

friendlydude
10 years ago#10
Ok, I'll try to look for that when I get a faster speed on my computer. Yeah, keeping it small and sweet is exactly what I want, so thanks again for that. :)
  1. Boards
  2. Quake II
  3. How much survived in the port?
  • Topic Archived