Shiny breeding??

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: theoldbucwild

theoldbucwild
8 months ago#1
Alright so the goal is a shiny Sentret right? I have a shiny ditto which I caught in Gold and a Sentret that I caught in Gold (i changed the Ot). I haven’t managed to get a single egg in like an hour. Am I doing anything wrong? And also where would you suggest to hatch eggs?

User Info: hylianarmy

hylianarmy
8 months ago#2
It doesn't work like that.

In Generation II games, the baby inherits its stats from the parent of the opposite gender, unless one parent is Ditto, and in that case it inherits the stats from Ditto. The Defense IV is passed, and also either the Special IV or the Special IV plus or minus 8 (plus for values in the 0-7 range; minus for values in the 8-15 range); the Special IV has a 50% chance of remaining the same. Attack and Speed IVs are determined entirely at random, whereas HP is determined by the IVs of the other four stats, using the same formula for wild Pokémon. The probability of a Pokémon having the same IVs as its opposite-gender parent is therefore 1/512.

If the Defense IVs of two partners are the same, and the Special IVs are either the same or differ by 8, the two Pokémon are incompatible. This is due to the high likelihood of a family relation, hence the inability to breed.

Using a shiny Ditto makes it impossible.
Be wily. Be unpredictable. Keep them guessing. But, be fair.

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
8 months ago#3
hylianarmy posted...
Using a shiny Ditto makes it impossible.
Why would it? The sentret will inherit the exact defense IV from ditto and has a 50% chance to inherit the exact special IV, both of which are at the required values for it to be a shiny. The rest is up to chance.

If memory serves, breeding with shiny ditto gives you 1/64 chance of a shiny... but just hatching 64 eggs takes quite a bit of time in this game (and of course, there's no guarantee you'll get a shiny in that time).

hylianarmy
8 months ago#4
Perhaps saying "impossible" is a bit of a stretch (it was early for me and I hadn't had my coffee), but I was working under the assumption that the OP's methods were flawed: Breeding with a shiny does not guarantee a shiny.

But, if the pair do indeed have identical Defense IVs and Special IVs either equal or with a difference of 8, breeding for a shiny would be impossible.

theoldbucwild
8 months ago#5
hylianarmy posted...
Perhaps saying "impossible" is a bit of a stretch (it was early for me and I hadn't had my coffee), but I was working under the assumption that the OP's methods were flawed: Breeding with a shiny does not guarantee a shiny.

But, if the pair do indeed have identical Defense IVs and Special IVs either equal or with a difference of 8, breeding for a shiny would be impossible.

Ah, so you’re saying I should breed with a shiny Furret or another Sentret?

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
8 months ago#6
theoldbucwild posted...
Ah, so you’re saying I should breed with a shiny Furret or another Sentret?
That's when it's impossible, you can't breed a shiny with another shiny since the game will think they're related. I'm guessing this is what hylianarmy was trying to say.

If you check them out in the yard and get the "brimming with energy" message that means they won't breed and you'll have to use another sentret (or furret). Aside from that, breeding with a shiny ditto should give the best odds of hatching a shiny.

hylianarmy
8 months ago#7
The game refuses to let two Pokemon breed under two specific conditions:

1. The pair have the same Defense IV, and
2. Their Special IVs are identical or have a difference of 8 points. (2 & 10, 7 & 15; subtract one from the other, the difference is always 8.)

If both conditions are met, the game assumes the pair is related, and will not allow them to breed.

In Gen. II, a shiny Pokemon always has Defense, Speed, and Special IVs of 10 and an Attack of 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15. So, if you attempted to breed two shiny Pokemon, it wouldn't work, due to both of them having identical Defense and Special IVs.

It's entirely possible that the Sentret you caught has a Defense IV of 10 and a Special IV of 2 or 10, which would render the pair incompatible. It's a fluke, but certainly worth considering.

So, a suggestion to you, OP: Catch another Sentret and try it again.

theoldbucwild
8 months ago#8
hylianarmy posted...
The game refuses to let two Pokemon breed under two specific conditions:

1. The pair have the same Defense IV, and
2. Their Special IVs are identical or have a difference of 8 points. (2 & 10, 7 & 15; subtract one from the other, the difference is always 8.)

If both conditions are met, the game assumes the pair is related, and will not allow them to breed.

In Gen. II, a shiny Pokemon always has Defense, Speed, and Special IVs of 10 and an Attack of 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15. So, if you attempted to breed two shiny Pokemon, it wouldn't work, due to both of them having identical Defense and Special IVs.

It's entirely possible that the Sentret you caught has a Defense IV of 10 and a Special IV of 2 or 10, which would render the pair incompatible. It's a fluke, but certainly worth considering.

So, a suggestion to you, OP: Catch another Sentret and try it again.

Ok I did get the “brimming with energy message”

I also want to get the best odds so would a Shiny Furret and a Normal Sentret work, or would a Shiny Furret and a Normal Ditto work. If so which one would work? Also thanks for helping me out so far

User Info: Kide87

Kide87
8 months ago#9
Best odds would be shiny Ditto with regular Sentret/Furret. A regular Ditto may never yield a shiny baby, unless that Ditto has the appropriate Defense and Special IVs, which is very unlikely.

Like hylianarmy said, catch another Sentret and breed it with your shiny Ditto. As long as that Sentret doesn't have 10 Defense and 10 or 2 Special IVs (there's a 1/128 chance for that combination, so you've just got unlucky with your current Sentret), they will be able to breed and will produce a shiny with 1/64 odds.
3DS Friend Code: 4441-9702-2480 ; IGN/Mii: Kide
Safari type: Ice - Spheal, Bergmite, Dewgong

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived