Grinding before Elite Four

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Gold Version
  3. Grinding before Elite Four

User Info: StridentArremer

StridentArremer
5 months ago#1
For a game that demands so much grinding, it sure it stingy with experience points. I've been alternating my grind sessions between the cave just before the Elite Four, and the sparse bits of water along the same route. So I can get something in the area of 600 - 900 experience per battle. By the time my Pokemon reached level 40, it just seemed like I was getting really diminished gains.

By the way, I'm playing on a Japanese-language cartridge. I suspect the Elite Four may actually be stronger in whatever ROM version this cartridge uses, because they're otherwise not supposed to be nearly this much of a pain. Even with liberal Ice Punch abuse, my Pokemon just don't have the stats to stick around for long.

For reference, my current team is:

Noctowl L44
-Take Down
-Fly
-Hypnosis
-Psychic (waiting to get Dream Eater)

Furret L43
-Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-?
-Surf

Stantler L31
-Headbutt
-Take Down?
-Hypnosis
-?

Poliwhirl L53
-Ice Punch
-Waterfall
-Whirl?
-?

Ampharos L37
-Thunder Punch
-?
-?
-Thunder Shock?

Typhlosion L38
-Thunder Punch
-?
-Fire Wheel
-Fire Blast

Stantler is probably the weakest link, but I'm still grinding with him to unlock some of his better moves. I might swap him out with something more specialized seeing as how I have too many normal types already.

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
4 months ago#2
The possible advantage of having a bigger party would be having more versatility, which is not that useful in practice. Even then, this party clearly isn't taking advantage of that. Typhlosion/Ampharos do pretty much the same thing. The other four do pretty much the same thing. If you didn't have so many party members, you wouldn't have to grind at all.

I've never heard of the JP version elite four being stronger. Do they have higher levels or something? Normally lv40+ is good for taking them on, but everything decently leveled on this team has rather poor attacking stats.
(message deleted)

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
4 months ago#4
Get that trade machop in goldenrod and get a drowzee....
Elemental punches can carry you far.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

genestealer
4 months ago#5
StridentArremer posted...
Bear in mind this is Gen II. Movepools are extremely greedy in this game, unless you want to use up the finite TMs given to you by NPCs. It takes a lot of grinding to unlock any of the natural moves that are actually worth using. Until then, the best you can do is use whatever TMs you can buy from Goldenrod and pair that with STAB. Headbutt and Ice Punch carried me through most of the gym leaders.
Stats mind, not moves. Your move selection is fine. I only mentioned this because another party might not need to grind once past lv40, but your picks really could use the extra levels to do any decent damage. As for Poliwhirl, even evolved into Poliwrath it's sp.attack is subpar, but STAB Surf (which I see you're not using, btw) is still useful. Another thing it can do is use Hypnosis to set up Belly Drum for a really powerful Body Slam, but I guess it's a bit late for that.

gamemaster712 posted...
Get that trade machop in goldenrod and get a drowzee....
Elemental punches can carry you far.
I see no reason to do this when you already have a leveled up team, much less one that already has Hypnosis and the elemental punches.
(message deleted)

genestealer
4 months ago#7
StridentArremer posted...
But what would you recommend? I don't mind grinding with a new team. It doesn't take very long to get a low-level Pokemon up to the mid-30s. Level 40 is when it really starts to become time consuming.
True that. Even then though, I'd suggest just sticking with Typhlosion, Stantler and Poliwhirl, and kind of ignore the rest. Leveling the remaining two to 45-ish would be faster than getting new members up to 40. Stantler has good attack, normal STAB and Hypnosis, and you can teach it Strength for higher damage when you don't need Headbutt's flinch chance.

With that and some items, elite four should be plenty beatable. Typhlosion can put in some good work against Will, Koga and Karen, and you can bring out Stantler when you can't hit for super effective with fire or electric. Against Bruno and Lance, I think the following should work:
Bruno - use 2 X Defend on Poliwhirl, attack and use items to heal as needed. A critical hit from Machamp might down it, but he usually sends it out last so you could just finish it and use Revive after the battle.
Lance - drop Gyarados, hypnotize the next thing, use 2 X Special on Poliwhirl and sweep.

Having to use items on Poliwhirl might seem like a hassle, but you shouldn't need to bother with that after you get the Water Stone to evolve it. It's just that until then its power and defenses kind of suck. After evolution I'd also suggest giving it a physical attack for when water and ice isn't SE.
(message deleted)

genestealer
4 months ago#9
Why would you waste Hypnosis turns on Fly?

Well, you could focus on Noctowl instead of leveling Stantler if you prefer. If so, Return is a better STAB option than Take Down, likely you've gotten it a decent amount of happiness by now (from level ups) to the point where it's comparable in power. Shame you didn't keep Reflect, as it's one of the things that allow Noctowl to stay useful.

Keep in mind there's a pretty big attack difference though. Stantler's base attack is 95, Noctowl's is 50.

User Info: lloyd0117

lloyd0117
4 months ago#10
noctowl does have super effective psychics for koga and bruno's fighters though...
"if you where a status ailment what would you be?"
Doom. i'm coming. run.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Gold Version
  3. Grinding before Elite Four

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived