• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  3. Started a new game...a few questions

User Info: _Kzer_za_

_Kzer_za_
5 months ago#1
I've played it before but only got to the end of chapter 1.
  1. How much should I be training? Will I be overlevelled if I do, underlevelled if I don't? Will not training make the game more challenging or just result in my strongest units carrying everything?
  2. Is there any way to push a character's stats in a certain direction to get the class I want, or is it all up to the RNG?
  3. Is combing the map in previously cleared areas the only way to get new neutral monsters?
  4. I have a vague understanding of the alignment/chaos frame system. For my first full game I want to go the good route. Will I typically tend in this direction if I play normally and make "good guy" choices when presented with one, or are there special things I need to keep in mind?
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: tepid_goo

tepid_goo
5 months ago#2
Good questions! Here are a few thoughts.

1. Really depends on your play style. I train only every so often, but I know some other players train very frequently. It is absolutely possible to play the game without training at all and to never be underleveled. However, you may find, depending on how you play, that you aren't necessarily evenly spreading exp in actual battles. This is what makes training convenient.
  2. Early in the game when most of your characters are fighters and amazons, there isn't much you can do. Of course, once you get them in their starter classes that is when their stat gains specialize.
  3. Pretty much. Of course, neutral monsters can show up when you're playing the actual battles as well. Of course, you could use your limited "Love and Peace" items on enemies later, but neutral monsters are really only acquired the one way.
  4. If you want to go the high chaos frame route you pretty much HAVE to understand the capturing/liberating mechanic, which is a bit convoluted. Every enemy stronghold has Morale. You will liberate the stronghold if your unit's average alignment, 0 being fully chaotic and 100 being fully lawful, is within about 20 of the stronghold's morale. If not, you capture it. You can't actually see your unit's average alignment, you have to estimate. Liberation makes the chaos frame go up, and capturing makes the chaos frame go down. Chaos frame also goes down anytime enemies take strongholds, or if you take a neutral (green) stronghold. Neutral strongholds can't be liberated.
Hope you enjoy the game!

_Kzer_za_
5 months ago#3
If I just want to not worry too much about chaos frame this time, what route will that generally push me toward? Maybe just avoid capturing greens and pick the nice-guy dialog options.
(edited 5 months ago)

_Kzer_za_
5 months ago#4
One more question: is there a difference between the shops in scenarios and the one in the world map? Can I miss out on buying good items?

User Info: tepid_goo

tepid_goo
5 months ago#5
_Kzer_za_ posted...
If I just want to not worry too much about chaos frame this time, what route will that generally push me toward? Maybe just avoid capturing greens and pick the nice-guy dialog options.

This is just a guess, but you would probably be on the border between the chaotic ending and the neutral ending. I've never played disregarding the system entirely.

_Kzer_za_ posted...
One more question: is there a difference between the shops in scenarios and the one in the world map? Can I miss out on buying good items?

I'm like 90% sure the shops don't change between the actual battles and area investigation. However, on a few occasions (for story reasons) you will lose access to certain areas and won't be able to return to places for area investigation. As such, I usually go to the shop in battle.

User Info: railroads

railroads
5 months ago#6
_Kzer_za_ posted...

It's not too challenging to manage your Chaos frame and if you don't keep it high, you'll miss out on more special characters. (although a low CF run is recommended to see some characters that you miss on the high CF route).

I just try to keep 2 Chaotic alignment units to liberate low moral cities and 2 Neutral alignment units to liberate the medium moral cities. Most of my remaining units end up being Lawful Alignment With the 20 point spread you're covered from 0-20, 30-70 and 80-100. Check the cities before you deploy your armies to plan who goes where. As long as you don't constantly lose cities back to the enemy or make all of the in game decisions that lower your CF you can keep it high.

User Info: Seiichiro

Seiichiro
4 months ago#7
Training is most useful for getting your alignment where you need it at the start. Fighting stronger things raises and if you train you fight weaker dudes and it lowers your alignment I think. Once the alignment starts going a certain way it'll just chug along that direction without mixing units I think

User Info: Korben_Dallas_5

Korben_Dallas_5
2 months ago#8
If I’m remembering correctly liberating increases your chaos frame by 0.5, while capturing decreases it by 2. So if you were to totally disregard chaos frame, and assuming by random chance you liberate half and capture half, then you’re going to be negative pretty quickly
"If the Knicks make the playoffs in the next 5 years I'll close my account."
-Me, 1/31/2019

User Info: vyseskies

vyseskies
3 weeks ago#9
_Kzer_za_ posted...
I've played it before but only got to the end of chapter 1.
1. How much should I be training? Will I be overlevelled if I do, underlevelled if I don't? Will not training make the game more challenging or just result in my strongest units carrying everything?
2. Is there any way to push a character's stats in a certain direction to get the class I want, or is it all up to the RNG?
3. Is combing the map in previously cleared areas the only way to get new neutral monsters?
4. I have a vague understanding of the alignment/chaos frame system. For my first full game I want to go the good route. Will I typically tend in this direction if I play normally and make "good guy" choices when presented with one, or are there special things I need to keep in mind?

1. You don't need training at all. If you have good teams and know what you're doing, it's fine. This game has a smart feature that if you're underleveled, you'll get more exp, and if you're overleveled, you'll get almost nothing from enemies, which balances out later. However there's a third factor, and that is the amout of units you use on your batallion. The less units, the more overpowered you'll get regardless (assuming you kill everything with that said few units on every chapter)
  2. Yes. Each class gives base stats and each class requires specific stats to reach a certain amount, so if you want a Paladin for example, a Knight will give the desired stats to reach Paladin class faster.
  3. You can find neutral monsters on current scene, if you have a bit of luck.
  4. On this game there's a thing called Chaos Frame, which involves if you liberated or capturated a stronghold. I suggest you take a look on a guide on faqs for more info;

Winning ~5 (don't remember, sorry) training battles in a row in specific locations (don't remember, sorry) unlocks a tough fight where if you beat it you unlock a new Elem Pedra, which is handy.
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
  1. Boards
  2. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  3. Started a new game...a few questions
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A