• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  3. More information on Stats? (VIT, MEN, etc.)

User Info: lukamu

lukamu
6 months ago#1
Sorry if this is a stupid question. What exactly does each stat do? HP is obvious, STR is physical damage, VIT is ?, INT is magic damage, MEN is ?, AGI is ? (who attacks first?), and DEX is ?. Thanks.

User Info: tepid_goo

tepid_goo
6 months ago#2
It is pretty confusing. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong about something.

VIT is physical defense
Men is magic defense

Those two stats are not the full story on defense though, because elemental damage/defense needs to be factored in.

AGI- You are correct. It determines attack order. Although it is not as simple as highest AGI attacks, and then 2nd highest AGI attacks, because every character in a row attacks in succession.
Dex- Determines your character's ability to hit. I believe it also helps dictate the ability to block/dodge, but I'm not entirely sure

User Info: GraphG

GraphG
6 months ago#3
Doesn't Dex also influence damage for certain classes like swordmaster and dragoon?
I love GC especially PSO
"HUnewearls are crab infested whores." - Fossil

User Info: tepid_goo

tepid_goo
6 months ago#4
GraphG posted...
Doesn't Dex also influence damage for certain classes like swordmaster and dragoon?

It does certainly seem that way to me because of how well those units perform. The damage calculation in this game is more complicated than it appears first glance. The number displayed as your character's attack power in the character status menu seems to have very little to do with with how much damage your character actually does.

One thing I also don't know is what determines crit chances. One would assume Dex and Agi, but it seems like most front line units hit a lot of crits near the end of the game, regardless of if they have high Dex and Agi.

User Info: Red_Maw

Red_Maw
6 months ago#5
This attack formula thread should provide some good insight:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/198230-ogre-battle-64-person-of-lordly-caliber/66780106

For spellcasters, simply swap all instances of STR for INT and all instances of DEX for MEN. For special attacks like dragon's breath, these use VIT and DEX. Though I'm not sure whether DEX occupies the same position and VIT replaces STR, or it's the other way around.

The biggest takeaway is that +STR from equipment is more valuable than the actual STR score of a character. If a character's STR goes up 10 from stat boosting items, the effect will be smaller than switching to a weapon that adds an additional +10 STR. The same is true of spellcasters and their +INT weapons.

Luck is also the single best stat in the game, as it seems to affect pretty much everything. People playing around with a Gameshark or savescumming with goblets of destiny to produce high luck characters show exceptional results. However, there isn't a reliable way to significantly boost luck without cheating via the two aforementioned methods. There are a handful of items that increase and decrease luck, such as the plumed headband (+2). To my knowledge nobody has done much study on whether they're worthwhile overall.

I believe the only truly useless stats are STR on spellcasters and INT on non-spellcasters.

User Info: nemesisMKII

nemesisMKII
6 months ago#6
I believe STR factors into physical def and INT factors into magic defence partially, no? I noticed when dumping COIs onto my physical attackers, their magic defence score to the side would increase.

User Info: Red_Maw

Red_Maw
6 months ago#7
Huh. Looks like INT And STR do affect defense. So there are no truly useless stats.

User Info: skin_eater98

skin_eater98
4 months ago#8
That the plumed headband provides two points to luck, that would really help in a battle against the demons, wouldn't it?
...insist that the operation be called "corrections"...
What about people there for things they didn't do?
  1. Boards
  2. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  3. More information on Stats? (VIT, MEN, etc.)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A