• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: Archmonk Iga

Archmonk Iga
1 year ago#1
I was going to try and keep from posting on here, and I know this board isn't all that busy, but I have gotten to a point in the game where I still have several questions that haven't been answered during my actual playtime--I just got to Chapter 2 and finished the first battle where the Anti-Revolution ambushed us. Any advice is welcome.

Questions:
-A few times during the latest scenario, after a battle the enemy unit would "sparkle." What does this mean? Can I do it, too?
-I'm still confused by Elem Pedra. When I do it outside of battle, it just shows a glowing orb, and all I can do is cancel back to the menu. I'm guessing for in-battle, I am still not at a point where they last long enough for it to be an Interrupt option.
-If I want to just play through the game, do I still need to go to Training? Is it easy enough to just play through the scenarios?
-I keep seeing topics about CF. Is this important for me? I'm not looking to do an in-depth style of play.
-Should I replace old classes with newer ones? Like, is the "Fighter" class pretty weak and should I change them to Knights, etc.?
-Do classes unlock after I reach certain levels or complete scenarios?
If you want to know who you are, it's important to know who you've been. -Jadzia Dax

User Info: Joseph_Lavode

Joseph_Lavode
1 year ago#2
This is all going off memory, and I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong.

-If the enemy sparkles they probably used an item after the battle, either healing or restoring unit stamina.
-Elem Pedra are used during battle. The battles at the point you are at may not last long enough to use them.
-In a casual game training is probably not super necessary.
-CF is a hidden element of the game that you don't need to understand on a first play through. It mainly effects what special characters you can recruit and some elements of the end of the game. It has to do, in the abstract, with whether your army is viewed as lawful liberators or chaotic conquerors. It isn't really addressed anywhere in the game or instructions.
-Newer classes are pretty much always better than the earlier ones. They get more attacks, more powerful abilities, and better stats.
-The standard classes will unlock when a unit's stats reach certain levels and you have all the base equipment available for the new class. Level doesn't apply. Some of the special character's classes update as the story progresses.
George R. R. Martin, Joss Whedon, and Steven Moffat walk into a bar and everyone you've ever loved dies

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 year ago#3
To add and/or comment:

1: Think of Elem Pedra as a nuclear bomb in the game; you generally ought to save it for tough enemy units and don't even have the option if your in-battle meter doesn't fill up enough by the end of it. Taking damage increases the gauge quicker (so if someone gets a critical hit on your end, it should be possible to retreat immediately but by mid/late game you should also be able to use Elem Pedras more regularly). Its power is based on the player character (Magnus) though I don't know what stat in particular so I'll just say "level".

2: Training isn't essential but, for a newb especially, I HIGHLY recommend doing it so that the units you use the least can at least catch up and those units who are right around the corner to be promoted to a better version of their current class can get promoted already. Know that every intermediate class (like Knight, Fencer, or Archer) has an advanced class that unlocks once you get one set of gear AND meet the stat requirements (which is typically around level 16-20 for most characters/classes but it is case dependent since level isn't the metric but the stat requirements are USUALLY met around those levels) and they correspond directly; so Knights become Paladins, Fencers become Sword Masters (their claymore is semi-permanently missable, so buy one as soon as you see one if you don't already own one), and Archers become Dianas as an example.

Training is something I do to make sure less experienced units keep up at the very least. It's not necessary if you have a relatively small (like 6 units) battalion but it is very useful (maybe needed) if you have 10 or more units.

3: To get the Good Ending, basically focus on Liberating but if you want the Bad Ending (or want characters that will only join with low Chaos frame) then focus on Capturing. Note that 4 liberations = 1 Capture so it is much harder to maintain/grow a high chaos frame.

You can see if a unit will liberate/capture by looking at a town's Morale and comparing it to a unit leader's alignment. 0 Morale=Super Chaotic; 100 Morale=Super Lawful; 50 Morale=Dead Neutral; 75 Morale=Midway Lawful; 25 Morale=Midway Chaotic. And your unit leader's alignment generally has to be within within +/- 15 points of the Morale (maybe more like 25 points) so basically have Lawful unit leaders go for high morale cities; Chaotic unit leaders for low morale cities; and try to keep a neutral on board for the neutral towns.

The easiest way to grow a neutral unit (mainly for character classes that are unavailable to the purely chaotic/lawful) is to minimize them killing enemy characters (so only use them to soften enemies) or even avoid fighting until they turn into their advanced counterpart (like Archers into Dianas). Training REALLY helps here!

Note that there ARE tricks for reducing/raising alignment as-needed outside battles so don't worry too much if your character is too lawful/chaotic, just be aware that's an important factor.

4: Yeah more advanced classes get better stat gains so the sooner they can be promoted, the better. Otherwise their potential power is a bit gimped (like if you got a Fighter into Fencer at Level 5 they can probably be a Sword Master at level 17 whereas a Fighter into Fencer at Level 7 will probably have to be around Level 19 or 20 to become a Sword Master). Make sure to keep units of one alignment and plan around matching characters of similar alignment needs. So no wizards/sorceresses in your knights/fencers units! Archers and phalanxes are more flexible because they're neutral types, but archers SLIGHTLY favor Chaos while phalanxes SOMEWHAT favor Law, so they can be tricky to raise without keeping away from finishing off enemies (or using tricks to easily, but slowly, move alignment somewhere desirable so they can be promoted).

5: There is only one class that unlocks after a certain part of the story and its requirements are basically nothing except raising about 5 Soldiers into Fighters/Amazons (and they aren't really worth going out of your way to make so don't worry about it unless you're curious). Otherwise it's always about getting the stat requirements fulfilled and having the gear on hand to be made into one. Once you've unlocked a class with one character, it becomes easy to make another character that class and see what stats they need.

Exception is Black Knight (advanced Berserker) since their Valiant Mantle cannot be bought and you can only reliably get 1 of them at a specific Chapter 2 battle and cross your fingers to get up to 3 if you destroy two specific units and get lucky and get their Valiant Mantles. Black Knights are very powerful, at least by the end game, but they're also rare so I hope you don't mind turning excess Berserkers into Ninja Masters lol.

User Info: Archmonk Iga

Archmonk Iga
1 year ago#4
Thank you for the advice. That is very helpful. Maybe this will help other users who search the forum in the future.

The liberation/capture and morale/alignment are a little overwhelming. So far I've just been turning red/green to blue with no regard to the alignment/morale stats. Maybe I'll pay more attention to that, but I don't think I'll feel like specifying which units battle which in order to alter alignment. It just seems like too much extra for me when I'm having fun simply completing scenarios and watching the amazing story unfold.

Do the alignment/morale choices only influence the ending, or are there story sequences beforehand that change as well? If so, at what point in the story do the paths diverge?
If you want to know who you are, it's important to know who you've been. -Jadzia Dax

User Info: DragonBlood87

DragonBlood87
1 year ago#5
Archmonk Iga posted...
Do the alignment/morale choices only influence the ending, or are there story sequences beforehand that change as well? If so, at what point in the story do the paths diverge?

There are a few major plot scenes in the game that are affected by prior decisions and the order you play the stages in, but the story doesn't majorly diverge until near the end IIRC. On top of that, story decisions, chaos frame, and the order you play the stages in affect which special characters you will be able to recruit.
Atheism - A non-prophet organization.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 year ago#6
It's not bad to put the morale/chaos gauge on the back burner and come back to it another time, but I strongly recommend paying attention to character alignment because you'll be gimping yourself if you don't.

Basically, for most classes, just group like with like and you'll be fine. Knights, Fencers, etc. are easy lawful people that can easily be promoted. Ninjas, wizards, berserkers, and the like are easy chaotic people that can be promoted. Neutral-ish classes are tougher but I suppose you could put off having to trick the alignment to keep them from being too lawful/chaotic as-needed (like when they're ready for promotion) rather than play around it but if you never pay it attention then your Archers (or any lawful female) will have to become either Priests or Freyas and your phalanxes and doll masters will have to be either Paladins/Sword Masters or Ninja Masters/Black Knights/Archmages.

Note that ALL the class I said they'll "have" to be are very good classes so you're only really gimping yourself if you keep your neutral-ish classes their beginner selves and never promote them to an available advanced classes. The only "serious gimping" would be Knights with Sorceresses or any other Law/Chaos mix since then neither will be able to evolve to their advanced versions OR the law people will be too chaotic to advance OR the chaos people will be too lawful to advance.

It's just a fair warning because while late game is usually easy for veterans, I know it can be hard for newbies (at least it was for me back when I was a little kid playing lol) so just wanted to warn you!

User Info: skin_eater98

skin_eater98
1 year ago#7
You can tell whether a place is liberated or captured by what your unit says once the place has been taken. If a place is liberated, you hear something like, 'the place has been liberated'. If it is captured, the unit leader says that it has been 'taken', or 'captured'.

User Info: vyseskies

vyseskies
1 year ago#8
if you just having fun and want to advance the story, don't worry about chaos frame/ liberation/capture. Both sides you'll always have the opportunity to recruit some powerful units, despite the plot having major changes, in the end it leads to almost the same outcome. Unless if you go to the even darker side...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A