Help me understand formation please

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  3. Help me understand formation please

User Info: DJSnafu23

DJSnafu23
11 months ago#1
I'm at a loss- do characters/classes have range? The tutorial wasn't so helpful in this aspect. Apart from setting a tank in the front row (does the front row change depending on direction?) and healers in the 2nd row I'm at a loss. I'm winning so far but I presume it's out of luck...Any rules or advice you can pass on this I'd be obliged!!

Bonus question: i'm on scene 7 i think...no one has been highlighted for class change, is that normal? (soldiers change automatically)

Love this game so far, so hope i can get the mechanics a little better, I'm about 8 hours in.

User Info: GraphG

GraphG
11 months ago#2
Archers in the middle. Dianas in the back.
Valkyrie could be front or back depending on how you want to use them. The game will tell you how many times they will attack, what the attack will be, and how strong it is when you are changing formation.
Beast Tamers middle row.
Knights front row.
Berserker front row.
Wizard back row
Witch back row
Cleric back row

Archers have range, valkyires in the back have range, witch has range, wizards have range, sorceresses have range, vultans have range, raven men have range, ninja master has range, etc.

Formation does matter. If you are attacked from behind, your front row will become your back row.

I would use list class to see who is available for promotion. Using the change class option will exclude unit leaders from being highlighted.

I am not sure what chapter starts to get you the equipment you need to change class. I believe paladins and ninja masters become one of the first available promoted classes. Once you start seeing enemy promoted classes, you will start to be able to promote your own units. Pay close attention to your unit's ALI. A low ALI (chaotic) knight cannot be promoted to a Paladin.

There are no hard or fast rules you need to follow to play this game. Any number of units and setup will work. Typically I try to have a little more male units than female. I like flying units like hawkman. I typically do not use beasts b/c I feel like 2 normal size units can do more damage than 1 big unit.

You can have 10 units on the map at a time. I only maintain that many, but some people like to have more.
I love GC especially PSO
"HUnewearls are crab infested whores." - Fossil

DJSnafu23
11 months ago#3
Thank you VERY much for this info- is the range stated anywhere ingame?
Would you say a symmetrical foration in the 4 corners plus one guy inbetween on middle left or right is ideal then?

I'll check list classes to see if any joy or if I'm too early still. Kill everyone on each map so thought I'd have racked up enough EXP.

DJSnafu23
11 months ago#4
After replaying with the post open I see what you mean- it makes perfect sense thanks again, no range/formation questions! The list class showed me I had 2 people eligible for class change too so thanks!!! I need to better understand the classes now and how they differ/complement each other but feel a lot better after your answers!

User Info: tepid_goo

tepid_goo
11 months ago#5
To add a little to this topic, try experimenting with formations to see what works for you. You still have a while before the game starts throwing enemies with good formations at you. Something to keep in mind is that most units to one side of a formation can't target enemies on the opposite side of a formation unless all the closer targets are gone. So a formation with units in the four corners may not be as efficient at dealing damage as one with units in the middle space of the back and front rows, but it may be more defensively viable.

With classes, I'd also recommend you just play around and see which ones you like. Be sure to check shops for new items, and the ground for hidden items early in the game, because you need access to a units basic equipment in order to promote into that unit.

Have fun!

DJSnafu23
11 months ago#6
I love it so far! Only 1 question regarding classes- is there any info ingame to show me strenghts and stats of the classes? For example my Magnus can become a lot of things but unsure how to pick one. WOuld rather avoid guides if possible. Thanks again for your help!!

GraphG
11 months ago#7
Magnus promotion is locked and tied to story events.

As far as formation goes it is personal preference. I would never leave someone in the middle column by themselves because once that unit is in a battle the character in the middle without anyone behind them could then be attacked by every enemy character.

Example units I have had:

Front Left - Fencer/Sword Master
Front Center - Knight/Paladin
Middle Left - Beast Tamer/Beast Master or Archer or Cactaphrat
Back Left - Diana
Back Center - Cleric/Priest

Another unit might be
Front left - Berserker/Black Knight
Front Center - Berserker/Black Knight
Back Left - Sorceress/Siren
Back Center - Sorceress/Siren
Back Right - Sorceress/Siren or Ninja Master

The point is, there is always a character in the Front Center and the Back Center.

Also at some point in the game, you get access to use legions. I think they are dumb, but if you find they are fun to use, go for it.
I love GC especially PSO

DJSnafu23
11 months ago#8
HI again!! Back from work and i have a full day to play I'm so excited after 4 days of work! I have two problems I was hoping you could advise me on if you have the time!

1. I'm on chapter 3 at the start now. Can I disband Magnus' legion? It's missing the orders>commands option which I find imperative.

2.Struggling with cockatrices!!!! Any advice? Any classes that defy petrification?

3.There's no way to reduce the retreats/rebattles is there? It's my only gripe with this fantastic game. Your advice has been real useful and been getting a lot better!

GraphG
11 months ago#9
1. Magnus is always a legion leader. You can turn off legion display if you want. Is the "Orders" talking about seeing where Magnus is headed?

2. Units with shields can block a gorgon's petrify stare, but I don't think anyone can block cockatrice petrification. I would either have magic users that can status affect the cockatrice or retreat an appropriate time and fight the unit again. You can carry revive stones on units you send to fight cockatrices or just go to witch dens.

3. Your units will improve and wiping out an enemy in one battle will become more common. You can also try messing with battle tactics to make sure your units are swarming one person or doing maximum damage. If battle feels slow, make sure all game speeds are turned up to max and turn off battle animations (press start during battle).
I love GC especially PSO

User Info: tepid_goo

tepid_goo
10 months ago#10
DJSnafu23 posted...

2.Struggling with cockatrices!!!! Any advice? Any classes that defy petrification?

GraphG's response tells you pretty much everything you need, but a little more on countering Cockatrices. Golems actually benefit from being petrified because it turns them into stone golems, so it makes them natural anti-Cockatrice units. However, Golems offenses are so low I never bother with this tactic personally. My general strategy with Cockatrices is hit them hard with dual magic attacks (more than one mage/sorceress in a unit with a high bond) in conjunction with a pumpkin head (which can't kill them itself, but will cut their HP down quickly.)
  1. Boards
  2. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  3. Help me understand formation please

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived