• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  3. Playing this for the first time...

User Info: SpiralDrift

SpiralDrift
7 years ago#1
I've been on an action/adventure kick lately and just played through Out of This World, Heart of The Alien and Heart of Darkness one after the other. I've been meaning for a long time to play this one as I've heard it was in the same style as Out of This World and Flashback and so on, but for various reasons I never got around to it until now. I'm excited to finally play it though.

I'll post my thoughts as I go, so this will sort of be a play log. If anyone still visits this board feel free to chime in, just no spoilers please. All I know about the plot so far is that the main character is a slave or something. Anyway, I'm off to load it up for the first time.
Do unto others what your parents did to you.

User Info: rigzzsy

rigzzsy
7 years ago#2

you need to save all your mates for the true ending, so don't leave anyone behind now

SpiralDrift
7 years ago#3
Thanks for the tip! There's nothing worse than putting 20 hours into a game only to have to start it all over.

Forgot to mention I'll be playing without cheats or save states. I like the way these types of games force you to redo parts over and over until you've totally mastered them. I was watching an Out of This World "Let's Play" the other day and could barely keep myself from shouting at the screen while the guy kept doing the wrong things over and over and just reloaded a save state every time. I don't think you can fully appreciate these games that way.

SpiralDrift
7 years ago#4
I got distracted playing the Sega CD version of Flashback for the first time. I posted my thoughts on the differences in that version on its board here.

I finally played a bit into Abe's Oddyssee on my PSP but I'm now debating whether to just play it on my PSX or PS2 since the controls might be a bit easier. I thought it was a bit cheap that they try to get you to kill the first worker with the switch without you knowing you need to save all of them. Looks like it might get a bit tedious trying to save all 99, and I'm hoping it's not possible to permanently miss any of them.

User Info: Little_Ishida

Little_Ishida
7 years ago#5
It IS possible to miss some if you pass the points of no return. It's going to be VERY difficult saving all the Mudokuns on your first try, so i'd play through it normally to start. Then rescue them all on a different save.
Ieyasu......Ieyasu.....
IIIIEEEEYYYAAAAAAASSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

User Info: stingwraith

stingwraith
7 years ago#6
There are only two endings, bad and good. You'll get the same ending whether you save at least 50 or all 99 Mudokons.

Alright, so in the beginning of the sequel Abe specifically says he's saved 99 Mudokons, but eh. If you do manage to save them all, you'll unlock a movie gallery, which includes an amusing commercial, but again the ending is unaffected.

Once you've escaped from Rupturefarms, backtracking is limited to the immediate area, so if you do plan to save everyone, keep an eye out for secrets. If you've managed to save the 28 Mudokons in Rupturefarms, you'll be familiar with all the possible ways for secrets to be hidden.
I don't need excuses, I need TEARS

User Info: rigzzsy

rigzzsy
7 years ago#7

i'll rephrase, if you do manage to save all 99 there is an extra part to the ending which i deem well worth it, good set up into exoddus as well

SpiralDrift
7 years ago#8
I totally forgot about this... o.o

User Info: gamefreak1972

gamefreak1972
7 years ago#9
So what did you think of the game? :)

I know games like this arent everyone's cup of tea, but I literally almost cried when I heard Oddworld studios was shutting down after the 4th game was released :(
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/games_table.php?mode=own&user=gamefreak1972

SpiralDrift
7 years ago#10
I'm still actually slowly making my way through it. For a while there I had loads of free time to start working down my backlog of games but time has been short lately. I'll try to post some updates as I progress, though.
  1. Boards
  2. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  3. Playing this for the first time...
  • Topic Archived