• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: KOTRsss

KOTRsss
7 years ago#1
I doubt I'll get an answer, but I'm in Scrabania and I'm pretty sure I'm locked out of progressing further.

Where I am, I have Elum and I have just gone through several areas with flying mines. Currently in front of me there is a gap with a mine just sitting in the middle of it. I can also climb up one screen where there USED to be a slig. Behind me there is a gap and then the next screen beyond that I cant go back any further because there is a slig in the background waiting to shoot me as well as a flying mine that comes after me the moment I enter the screen. I can turn around and outrun that mine, but there's still another one 2 screens past that which I cant get around.

The guide says to possess the slig one screen above and use it to pull a lever, but my slig died to the second slig it came across, and it wont respawn, even when I reload my saved game. What am I supposed to do?
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."

User Info: stingwraith

stingwraith
7 years ago#2
Strange. That slig perched on the ledge above should be respawning whenever you die. You need him to pull a lever in a screen beyond to.. disarm that floating mine that's stopping you and Elum from going any further.
I don't need excuses, I need TEARS

KOTRsss
7 years ago#3
Well that's too bad. He's definitely not respawning, and I cant leave the area thanks to floating mines.
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."

stingwraith
7 years ago#4
Alright, so I popped in my copy to play through that section and I've figured out what triggers this glitch.

For some stupid reason, there's two checkpoints right next to each other here. One in the screen where the floating mine stops chasing you (but it only registers after you've leaped over the chasm) and another in the next screen, with the mine blocking your path.

If you get the possessed slig killed, and then go back past the first checkpoint and die (getting ambushed by that damned mine, say) that checkpoint will overwrite the second, and you'll get the slig's death saved to the game's memory.

And you're quite right, the first mine that starts chasing you is impossible to get around, otherwise you could head back and get a couple of rocks or an explosion spell. Always restock on grenades and rocks whenever possible. It can provide you with alternate solutions to certain puzzles.

So yeah, you'll have revert to an earlier save. If you don't have any of those, you can enter the level skip cheat at the main menu and return to the beginning of Scrabania, or skip to the Scrabanian Temples if you prefer.. you're about two sections away, anyway. This will nullify any rescues you've made, though there will still be enough Mudokons left to get the good ending, if you give a damn.

Unlike Exoddus, Oddysee doesn't have an invincibility code, unless you've got a gameshark or such.

You have to be pretty careful around Scrabania and Paramonia, mostly due to Elum-related glitches. I've managed to get Elum blown up by a floating mine while changing screens, which left me with Abe stuck in place, humping the air.

KOTRsss
7 years ago#5
I had Elum nowhere to be seen and not respawning with me until I saved and reloaded.

There's also a glitch where Abe will barely touch a flying mine and trigger the detonation but somehow not die.

I could either reload my save in the Paramania Temple, or use the code you mentioned. I kind of do care about my rescue count not because I care about which ending I get, but because there's no way in hell that I'll ever rescue 50 mudokons without the ones I've rescued so far (even if it's technically possible, I wont be using a guide).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

stingwraith
7 years ago#6
You're welcome. I hope you see it through to the end either way, it's a brilliant game.

KOTRsss
7 years ago#7
Yes, definitely a good game. I'll pick it up again someday.

Say, werent 3D graphics (2D functionality) remakes of this game announced?

stingwraith
7 years ago#8
Yeah, a remake for both Oddysee and Exoddus has been announced by Just Add Water:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/05/you-had-me-at-hello-just-add-water-talks-all-things-odd/

I'm thinking they're going to focus on the Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee remasters first, though.

KOTRsss
7 years ago#9
They're prioritizing Much's Odyssey? Why? isnt that the game where they were like "Uh, we dont know what to do with 3D so.... why dont you collect some orbs?!"

stingwraith
7 years ago#10
Agreed, Munch's Oddysee was by far the weakest OI game. I bought a used Xbox less than two months before the Stranger's Wrath remake was announced just so I could play it (wasn't as interested in SW, though it turned out to be the better of the two) and I was sorely disappointed. Then again, I'd been waiting to play it ever since it was announced for the PS2 some nine years back, so it would have to be godly to live up to expectations, heh.

Anyway, my guess is they want people who played the first two games but didn't own an Xbox to finally play Munch and Stranger on the PS3/Vita. Or, perhaps they're thinking to fund the Abe remake from the sales generated by the two remasters, since they cost less time and money - I think? Maybe they're not prioritizing one over the other at all, and it's simply that the remake is more time-consuming.
  • Topic Archived