• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Scientific Inaccuracies?

User Info: Philosopher1701

Philosopher1701
13 years ago#1
I've heard some people claim that MGS's interpretation of genetics is inaccurate. What are they talking about?
"What are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchres of God?"
~ Die fröhliche Wissenschaft

User Info: bigfoot0330

bigfoot0330
13 years ago#2
I would imagine what they are referring to is that Solid is considered to be the "dominant" twin while Liquid is considered to be the "recessive" twin. Dominant here meaning better in every way. However, in genetics dominant and recessive genes have nothing to do with what is better or worse, merely which one is more likely to be received from parents. For instance, brown eyes could be recessive in a father while blue eyes are dominant in a mother. If the child at hand ended up with brown eyes that doesnt mean he would have "bad" eyes. He just received the recessive gene from the parent for the eyes.
Seeker after Chaos 13 years ago#3
*spoilers contine from above*

Not to mention that they claim they ganked Liquid's genes to make Snake.

Meaning Snake must have double dominant, and Liquid, as he's got recessive genes, double recessive.

But, as any biologist can tell you, dominant genes being expressed implies you have ONE OR TWO copies of that gene - that's why they're dominant.

So why bother taking Liquid's dominants to put in Snake? Double dominant or dominant-recessive has no difference whatsoever.
As long as you don't die, STDs are just like little kids... annoying and easy to hide. -Vesperas
{Jolt135} [20:58] how the hell does that work?

User Info: AuFox80

AuFox80
13 years ago#4
MGS1 SPOILERS (just in case)

1) Dominant doesn't necessarily mean superior. If you may recall, Liquid was saying "I got all the flawed, recessive genes" -- this is a common misconception. Recessive doesn't necessarily mean that they're inferior. It definitely doesn't mean that they're flawed. IMO, that quote could be more attributed to Liquid's inferiority complex.

2) People can't have all homozygous dominant or all homozygous recessive genes as Liquid was led to believe. There are some fatal conditions that arise from homozygosity.

3) Foxdie. Foxdie was meant to wipe out Foxhound and Baker. Within Foxhound, there was an Inuit Native American (Raven), a Kurd (Wolf), a Russian (Mantis), a Mexican (Octopus) and Americans (Liquid and Ocelot -- the latter was said to have received a Foxdie vaccine). That was some crazy genetic engineering if a virus can recognize a genetic sequence that is common between the Foxhound members, and across the sexes, AND without affecting other people. If it only targeted males, it would be somewhat feasible, since there are specific genes or structure of the Y chromosome.
Those who are ignorant of the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them.
There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. -- Kyle Reese, Terminator

User Info: Xyrus_Darkwill

Xyrus_Darkwill
13 years ago#5
Big Boss was the "Perfect Soldier". The genes that made him the perfect soldier are what should have been expressed in the son who was to be better. So in this case exclusively, dominant is in fact better.

However, it's revealed if you wait after the credits that Solid Snake actually got all the recessive genes and Liquid got the dominant ones but was led to believe otherwise. So I don't know anymore since Solid looks a lot more like Big Boss than Liquid does.
Deus Est Machina

User Info: AuFox80

AuFox80
13 years ago#6
From Xyrus_Darkwill | Posted 3/28/2008 11:29:08 PM | #005
However, it's revealed if you wait after the credits that Solid Snake actually got all the recessive genes and Liquid got the dominant ones but was led to believe otherwise. So I don't know anymore since Solid looks a lot more like Big Boss than Liquid does.

No.

Solid has the dominant genes, but was deemed inferior by a third party (i.e., the Patriots). The inferior one won in the end, which only shows the game's theme that genetics won't dictate your fate.

From El Greco's game script FAQ (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/197909/26783):

Yes. The inferior one was the winner after all. ...That's right.
Until the very end, Liquid thought he was the inferior one. Yes,
sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual...
such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that
you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the
woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance.

Those who are ignorant of the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them.
There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. -- Kyle Reese, Terminator

User Info: rob29

rob29
13 years ago#7
^ Um... doesn't that say Solid is the inferior?... he said the inferior one was the winner... Solid was the winner right?

I don't understand.
At the Title Screen press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

User Info: rob29

rob29
13 years ago#8
Oh, now I think I know what you're saying.

But where does it say Solid has the dominant genes?
At the Title Screen press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

User Info: Spark0

Spark0
13 years ago#9
Liquid says it about 30 thousand times near the end.
www.drod.net, go there, now, Erik Hermansen's first Masterpiece is now free.

User Info: Spark0

Spark0
13 years ago#10
Here's how genetic traits work (this is a VERY barebones explanation):

Every trait is coded for by two alleles. These alleles are either dominant or recessive, dominant is generally represented by a capital letter while recessive is generally represented by a lowercase letter. Note that which one is "better" is purely subjective.

If a dominant allele is part of the trait's DNA coding, it will be dominant, if both are recessive, the trait's phenotype will be recessive.

Now cloning: cloning refers to the process in which an organism's entire genetic code is duplicated and "re-used" in the creation of another organism. This is generally a result of asexual reproduction, but in MGS it is done artificially by man.

So if Solid, Liquid and Solidus are all clones of Big Boss, they would all be the same. One having all the dominant or all the recessive genes is literally impossible, even through genetic engineering (whatever came out would not survive).

Not only this, but many dominant traits have been completed weeded out through natural selection (EX: the trait for six fingers or toes on each hand and foot is dominant to five fingers or toes on each hand or foot) and the basic genetic makeup of one human being to the next is far too similar for every trait to be dominant.
www.drod.net, go there, now, Erik Hermansen's first Masterpiece is now free.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Scientific Inaccuracies?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A