• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Help me understand why this is the best game of all time
I’m sure we’re all losing sleep over you not being satisfied.

User Info: 5nesta

5nesta
1 month ago#12
It really comes to what makes it a better game for you. This question is highly subjective. There is no true best game of all time. In general, it's agreed that Zelda is a popular series that made a graceful transition from 2D to 3D compared to other franchises, pioneering the 3D adventure genre. It has great design, great music, and (at the time) great graphics. Mario 64 has done the same, but I just have more fun playing through Oot for some reason.
Hope rides alone!

User Info: Sk8RuLz

Sk8RuLz
1 month ago#13
Transition from 2d to 3d was an enormous step in video game history, both for Mario 64 and Zelda Oot. Mario was a launch title so there is that, it sold a copy with almost every N64. OoT was my first experience of a launch hype, and for the 8 years old me it was massive hype, being a huge fan of ALttP made me anticipate OoT like crazy! When it came out I got stuck in the deku tree for a while because I didnt get that I needed to burn that web with a stick in the basement. But I still played the game, talking to npc in kokiri and even role playing a bit! There was a sense of magic that no other game had that kept me hooked for a long time, even after beating the game. Transforming into adult Link was mind blowing, forest temple and the well scared me, the complexity of the water temple bugged me but in a fun way, and beating Ganon for the first time was plain epicness, ascending the stairs with the organ playing louder!

Every element of the game made me feel like a hero on an adventure, while Mario 64 lacks hero like epicness that brings magic to Oot.
Favorite: Zelda BotW, MM, TP, OoT, ALttP, Xenoblade Chronicles, Star Wars KOTOR 1 & 2, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 1,2,3, Fire Emblem PoR/RD

User Info: csungradpiano

csungradpiano
1 month ago#14
justhelpmepleas posted...
I’m sure we’re all losing sleep over you not being satisfied.

I was up a bit hoping just that he would.

User Info: Chen06

Chen06
1 month ago#15
It's easy to answer why OoT is better than Starcraft, Half-Life, Civilization and Street Fighter 2 combined. I've played OoT. I never played any of those four other games and I'm not planning on changing that. Why would I? Those games don't have sequels going strong today. (As far as I know they don't even have sequels at all and if they do, they do a bad job of advertising themselves as existing.) Nobody is telling me any of those games is the greatest games of all time, so why bother with them? Sure, I've heard that Half-Life is supposed to be good, but then it's just a first person shooter, isn't it? Boring. Starcraft and Civilization are real-time strategy as far as I know and I don't like that type of game. Just how I don't like fighting games.

Remember, before you can people have acknowledge any given game as the best, they first have to play it. OoT was available on N64, on NGC and on 3DS. So there's a lot of people being exposed to it's existence.
WELCOME TO THE JAPARI PARK

User Info: KingOfHyrule

KingOfHyrule
4 weeks ago#16
The answer is fifty-four.
rileyodellwriter.com - I create stuff. Come check some of it out.
(message deleted)

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#18
mrdemeanor posted...

I am really in pain and so confused. I don't even think it was the best console game of its generation (symphony of the night). Heck not even the best nintendo 64 game (mario 64).

Good trolling. You're in pain? You cannot comprehend why there are some who prefer this game? Ridiculous.

You've worded your question wrong. You should have asked something like "Why would a gamer today consider OOT the best game right now?" Then you can discuss if mechanics hold up over the years, if refinements improve the product or take away from it etc....

Instead like a kid you're just saying "why would anyone like this over any other 1998 game?????"
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#19
Chen06 posted...
even though every reasonable gamer who has played it knows deep inside their heart that Metroid III for SNES is the best game of all time, because it has no flaws and can be a completely different experience each time it is replayed.

Sounds unreasonable to me.
True reasonable gamers know that Final Fantasy 7 is the best game of all time.
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: KingOfHyrule

KingOfHyrule
2 weeks ago#20
Sega9599 posted...
Sounds unreasonable to me.
True reasonable gamers know that Final Fantasy 7 is the best game of all time.

"True gamers" know that it's Supes 64.
rileyodellwriter.com - I create stuff. Come check some of it out.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Help me understand why this is the best game of all time
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A