• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. I can't believe how much I relied on the game's guide when I was a kid

User Info: teflon

teflon
10 months ago#1
When I was a kid, I basically had my eye on the official guide the entire time when I played, almost never deviating from it. Now that I'm an adult, I tore through the dungeons without looking at any sort of guide or FAQ, though I need need some help to get all of the Pieces of Heart. It makes me feel kind of embarrassed that I needed constant help for dungeons that were as easy as OoT's.
"Japanman is a nice name."-PsykopijonSnowball3
Secret Board Hunter

User Info: HylianFox

HylianFox
10 months ago#2
I was so hyped for this game I practically memorized the Prima guide before I even got the game

Surprisingly, it didn't spoil the experience for me
I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals FUH-LAMING! - Homer Simpson
Don't be a turd. - Chris Pratt

User Info: BulletsOfLiquid

BulletsOfLiquid
10 months ago#3
Same here. But don't be so hard on yourself. These puzzles when we were a kid were challenging as all hell.
If you do a lot of dirt, you wake up with sand in the sheets...
PSN:XxGfHxX

User Info: Sivle15

Sivle15
10 months ago#4
BulletsOfLiquid posted...
Same here. But don't be so hard on yourself. These puzzles when we were a kid were challenging as all hell.

Lol funny story, i let my dad play oot3d on my 3ds and he keep asking me to beat certain parts for him so i showed him the online guide and he only stopped looking at it every time he finally learned how to beat a part. He said when he used to play on the n64 he stayed up all night until my mother finally persuaded him to sleep. He also said back then there were "cheats" which i believe hes referring to the guide
Fc:3411-6337-4017 IGN:Elvis TSV-3186 Discord sivle15#0207
https://tinyurl.com/Sivle15sPKMN my sheet

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
8 months ago#5
I remember being stuck for a long time in that area right after you have fallen through the first spider web.
I thought I was supposed to make a long jump over to the area with the block, but it never worked.
Then I realised that I was supposed to burn the spider web on the wall on the other side of the room.

This was on Christmas Eve in the early morning about two decades ago, probably in 1999.
My little brother and I had got the game as a Christmas present that morning at like 6 AM, and we also had the rest of the day to look forward to (Christmas dinner with the relatives and even more presents in the evening), so it was a pretty awesome day to play this game for the very first time.
...OR at least, that's what I think.
(edited 8 months ago)

User Info: darkmoonbeam

darkmoonbeam
7 months ago#6
i was stuck on the water temple for months cause i didnt see the damn block rise in that middle room when you raise the water from 0 to 1
[In Soviet Russia, a moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message]

User Info: PrettyBoyFloyd

PrettyBoyFloyd
7 months ago#7
darkmoonbeam posted...
i was stuck on the water temple for months cause i didnt see the damn block rise in that middle room when you raise the water from 0 to 1

I think later editions included a cut scene with the block.

Apparently we didn't have that luxury.
The Evil Republicans - Est.2004 - WoT
[Government Destabilizing Branch]

teflon
7 months ago#8
PrettyBoyFloyd posted...
darkmoonbeam posted...

I think later editions included a cut scene with the block.

Apparently we didn't have that luxury.

Do you mean the 3DS version?
Secret Board Hunter

User Info: MarqueeSeries

MarqueeSeries
7 months ago#9
Are you talking about the Nintendo Power guide?

The way that one was written is so good, describing how "Link did this" as if it's a history book
Posted with GameRaven 3.5.1

teflon
7 months ago#10
Yup. That one was really cool as a kid.
Secret Board Hunter
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. I can't believe how much I relied on the game's guide when I was a kid
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers