• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Does the inevitable loss to Undertale bother you?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
4 years ago#11
AntiNatal-Vegan posted...
Ocarina may be the most beloved game of all time, but it is heavily flawed, that cannot be argued against. Finding flaws in Undertale's design is much more of a struggle.

The quality of a game is much deeper than just its technical aspects.
A game can both be buggy as hell and lack any serious challenge (like Final Fantasy 6, for example) and still touch your heart deeply and end up as one of the best games of all time.

It is not a coincidence that FF6 was praised to the skies when it first came out, and still gets remade for all possible kinds of systems.
It's the same kind of thing with Ocarina Of Time - it has that special something that you cannot put your finger on, but triggers powerful feelings inside you.
I will never forget the first time me and my little brother played Ocarina Of Time on Christmas morning in 1999, and spent forever running around in Kokiri Forest and just explored things and had fun.
And the thrill when we got a sight of Hyrule Field for the very first time - THAT was some serious stuff back then.
And that was just the beginning.
If a game can make you feel that way when it is still new and you still haven't been able to develop any "nostalgia" or whatever for it, then that's a serious sign that it is some high-quality stuff.

Also, please don't give me that "it's because of nostalgia, dude", because in that case we might as well say that every single game ever made is "only good because of nostalgia", and that makes no sense.

User Info: Distorted_

Distorted_
4 years ago#12
no one f***in won the thing there IS NO SUCH THING AS THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME ITS ALL OPINION AND IT WAS JUST A POPULAIRTY CONTEST!!!!

User Info: NaturalHarmonia

NaturalHarmonia
4 years ago#13
Peter_19 posted...
Ocarina may be the most beloved game of all time, but it is heavily flawed, that cannot be argued against. Finding flaws in Undertale's design is much more of a struggle.

The quality of a game is much deeper than just its technical aspects.
A game can both be buggy as hell and lack any serious challenge (like Final Fantasy 6, for example) and still touch your heart deeply and end up as one of the best games of all time.

It is not a coincidence that FF6 was praised to the skies when it first came out, and still gets remade for all possible kinds of systems.
It's the same kind of thing with Ocarina Of Time - it has that special something that you cannot put your finger on, but triggers powerful feelings inside you.
I will never forget the first time me and my little brother played Ocarina Of Time on Christmas morning in 1999, and spent forever running around in Kokiri Forest and just explored things and had fun.
And the thrill when we got a sight of Hyrule Field for the very first time - THAT was some serious stuff back then.
And that was just the beginning.
If a game can make you feel that way when it is still new and you still haven't been able to develop any "nostalgia" or whatever for it, then that's a serious sign that it is some high-quality stuff.

Also, please don't give me that "it's because of nostalgia, dude", because in that case we might as well say that every single game ever made is "only good because of nostalgia", and that makes no sense.
3DS FC: 4725-8278-5467

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
4 years ago#14
NaturalHarmonia posted...
*implying that Undertale's win is guaranteed*

LOL.

It is. It's...obvious. Undertale will win 51% to 49%

Finding flaws in Undertale's design is much more of a struggle.

Define "flaw". Flaw as in "Gee, we really didn't need all this hand holding from Navi"? Or flaw as in "Holy crap, the story's decent, but the gameplay is something I'd expect to see from a high school animation student or Newgrounds"?
Welcome to the Internet, where stating your opinion is a declaration of war.

Zeveria
4 years ago#15
Double

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
4 years ago#16

Define "flaw". I can find many things about Undertale that I don't like. What's an objective flaw in your opinion?

-Gameplay may be unique, but it's poorly executed. Bullet hell in an RPG just isn't fun. Even the RPG mechanics aren't that good. Combat quickly becomes a chore more than anything, and is easily the weakest part of the game.
-OST is forgettable. Sure the tracks were suited for the situation, but that doesn't mean they were "good".
-Graphics have no effort put into them. Sure, toby was going for a retro theme. That doesn't mean you have to limit yourself to 8-bit graphics. 16-bit is still retro.

It's just a throwaway, flavor-of-the-month game, like FNAF. It honestly shouldn't have even been entered in the competition. They need to make more rules for entering the poll, like preventing games under a year old from entering. I can almost guarantee you that Undertale won't have nearly as rabid of a fanbase a year from now.
Currently playing: Games. Lots of them.
https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2132/510/original.jpg

User Info: MurraySkull

MurraySkull
4 years ago#17
Darkest-Lord122 posted...

LOL.

Define "flaw". Flaw as in "Gee, we really didn't need all this hand holding from Navi"? Or flaw as in "Holy crap, the story's decent, but the gameplay is something I'd expect to see from a high school animation student or Newgrounds"?

Undertale will LOSE by that percentage!

Zeveria
4 years ago#18
MurraySkull posted...
Darkest-Lord122 posted...

LOL.

Undertale will LOSE by that percentage!

Nope. I was wrong. OoT isn't getting beat...it's getting DESTROYED.

User Info: MurraySkull

MurraySkull
4 years ago#19
And by a piece of ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!

User Info: SuperNintyPower

SuperNintyPower
4 years ago#20
Undertale wasn't even the best game released in September, let alone the best game ever made. We, as a community, should just acknowledge the contest as rigged and go about our business.

It sure would be nice to strike it down, though.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Does the inevitable loss to Undertale bother you?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers